Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My numbers hit 3/4/15, at lastminute I blew off playing- I am devastated- help

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 2 years ago by backwaterjoe.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Carolina
United States
Member #164949
March 20, 2015
14 Posts
Posted: March 20, 2015, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

This is my first post. I joined because no one gets what I am going through. I have told lots of people and  basically get blown off as if this is not that big of a deal. I hear "you wouldnt have hit or come on now get over it, cant win if you dont play" type responses and then I am left to myself to deal with it. I cannot stop it from popping into my mind and every morning, evening and drive by the gas station sets me off into a repeated series of GD's that continue until I finally get tired of beating myself up or someone else is around and I have to stop it. It is especially bad before work and I am afraid my neighbor who walks their dog by my bathroom in the morning has heard my cussing sessions in the shower. I have lost sleep.I'm ok most of the time with random sessions of intense regret.

I casually play the lotto. I have only spent a few hundred dollars or so I guess since the lotto came to my state. I have studied it some and discovered that the odds are really bad and I think I may have won $3 one time. Several people at work play all the time and they motivate me to play by just hearing them talk about it on drawing days. So when the the power ball gets big or I feel lucky I usually buy a few tickets. 

Anyway 3/4/15 I had a perfect drive to and from work which is quite rare, no one pulled out in front of me and I got to go 63mph on cruise each way to my amazement. I decided I should buy some lotto tickets because I needed gas. During the feb. 2015 564 million jackpot which I played for several times I told one of my co-workers who plays all the time that I was going to pick some numbers that really mean something to me and just play those when ever the pots get big or when ever I decide to play plus maybe a couple of QP's.

So those numbers were 8-12-15-35-50 and I would pick the powerball out of a few numbers and I cant explain my reason b/c it is just too lengthy to type out, but I am certain 32 was most likely the number I would have picked based on my system and the previous ticket I would have been looking at to choose my numbers that day.

The numbers all represent important dates/ages/years of me and my immediate family. I had played the exact numbers for the 564 jack pot. I did change one number the last time I played them 8-12-35-50-55 because I was trying three big numbers vs three small ones 8-12-15-35-50 but I intended to go back to my original number and play both sets next time because I was still finalizing my actual one favorite set decision.

Anyway after gas I thought I am running late, I need groceries, I have to cook , and then it happened,

I thought my numbers never hit, maybe after dinner I'll go out and get them, but who am I kidding when I check back in a few days I'll confirm I made the right decision.

When I checked the numbers the following saturday my eyes got  big as saucers, I cant believe I screwed this up, now I am having a very hard time dealing with the thought that I would have been able to retire and live the life of a carefree rich guy. This is very tough on me. Poof it is gone, back to work till i die, i despise having to get up and work every day punching a clock, and this statistically will never happen again. I feel like I missed the one biggest chance at an incredible adventure I'll ever get. Even though I am ok financially without it, the idea of the complete financial freedom of winning if I would have just followed through with my original plan is killing me.

It was for 90 million, 31,700,000 after taxes. The 5 balls were a lock at 1,000,000 - 600,000 after tax

I feel a cussing session coming on.......any thoughts that can help me deal with this are appreciated.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2657 Posts
    Posted: March 20, 2015, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1492 Posts
      Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

The only thing you can do at this point is to keep playing the lottery.  When you play your own numbers, you have to play every draw.  Let it go!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Sorry to hear of this...

This is one reason I play QPs, when I had a special #set I always played no matter what else I had to do.

I never look at results of games I didn't  play.

Also never check the #s on an expired ticket...you don't want to know.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

That really is a tough pill to swallow and I would probably not even play for a while if that happened to me. Sorry that you're going through this, but you can't let this eat you up inside. There is nothing you can do to change the past, so just focus on the now and continue buying a few tickets. There is still a chance that you might win something in the future.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
            Columbus, Ohio
            United States
            Member #128906
            June 5, 2012
            591 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

That sucks big time

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4104 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Why not just look at it as not being "your time to win it".. l am positive that there are millions of players who use somewhat similar methods you do to pick their # - and come away with a loss.

• In the Movie "Fields of Dreams" James Earl Jones is invited into the cornfield to see what's there and report on it- Costner wants to go as well and is told by Shoeless Joe " You not invited".. Look upon this experience as being" not invited. ...yet!"
              • Or you can look at yourself as being told by Darth Vader" the force is WITH you, but you are not a Jedi- yet!
              • Peace. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Carolina
                United States
                Member #164949
                March 20, 2015
                14 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2015, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Yep,

The only thing I got out of these numbers is grief. If I allowed it to continue, it could send me into some type of mental issue. I am getting better slowly but it has been a tough couple of weeks.

It now comes and goes, but I still keep coming back to it especially getting up at 5:50am to go to work or dealing with anything at work that aggravates me.   Because I really should be out buying stuff and meeting with tax lawyers/cpas .

Chance of this happening again i have to say is most likely zero. This sucks.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19817 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2015, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Yep,

The only thing I got out of these numbers is grief. If I allowed it to continue, it could send me into some type of mental issue. I am getting better slowly but it has been a tough couple of weeks.

It now comes and goes, but I still keep coming back to it especially getting up at 5:50am to go to work or dealing with anything at work that aggravates me.   Because I really should be out buying stuff and meeting with tax lawyers/cpas .

Chance of this happening again i have to say is most likely zero. This sucks.

Next time post your picks on the predictions board, if they come up you don't win any money but you do win bragging rights with proof to back them up. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #164949
                    March 20, 2015
                    14 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2015, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I've got the 8 12 35 50 55 19 ticket I played but I threw away the others. Since the miss I have spent more on tickets than I ever had with barely a single number matching.

If you go to "have my numbers ever hit" sites and test your numbers I think you'll find you can punch in numbers for days, even years and never get any to all match against the 2400 past drawings for 5 or 6 number matches.

The fact I had just chose these numbers a month or so ago and only played them a few times makes the odds off the charts.

It really pisses me off.

United States
                      Member #164725
                      March 12, 2015
                      341 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2015, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Luckydaydidntpl:  Sorry this happened to you.  You can only force yourself to put it behind you and concentrate on the positives in your life. You have family, a job, and financial security.  Not a Lear jet but you are luckier than most people -- luckier than me.  I wish I could say something to make you feel better. Hang in there.

Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #164949
                        March 20, 2015
                        14 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2015, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Redd, you did make me feel better, and to the others as well

Just hearing from folks who get it helps a lot.

you are right, as my mom said , you really have it pretty good anyway, so forget it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19817 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2015, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I've got the 8 12 35 50 55 19 ticket I played but I threw away the others. Since the miss I have spent more on tickets than I ever had with barely a single number matching.

If you go to "have my numbers ever hit" sites and test your numbers I think you'll find you can punch in numbers for days, even years and never get any to all match against the 2400 past drawings for 5 or 6 number matches.

The fact I had just chose these numbers a month or so ago and only played them a few times makes the odds off the charts.

It really pisses me off.

Playing numbers after they hit doesn't count, and being pissed counts for even less.  You're aren't the first person who thought if they had played they would have won and you won't be the last.  Get over it and move on.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #164949
                            March 20, 2015
                            14 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2015, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I had the numbers to play prior to them hitting, I picked each one for a personal reason.

The exact numbers 8 12 15 35 50  I would have played 100% if I would have followed through

with my original intentions to play that day.  The 32 is the only one I may have missed and I have a very good reason based on how I picked all those numbers to think I would have got it too. 

But I see what you are saying because I didnt actually do it therefore I have no real proof for anyone else to believe me. I sure wish I had of played that day, I wouldnt be here typing if I had of.

United States
                              Member #164725
                              March 12, 2015
                              341 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2015, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Your word is good enough for me. Smile

ps:  As to your mom's comment, it was not my intention to diminish your feelings.  It sucks.