Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My numbers hit 3/4/15, at lastminute I blew off playing- I am devastated- help

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 2 years ago by backwaterjoe.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2015, 12:28 am - IP Logged

This is my first post. I joined because no one gets what I am going through. I have told lots of people and  basically get blown off as if this is not that big of a deal. I hear "you wouldnt have hit or come on now get over it, cant win if you dont play" type responses and then I am left to myself to deal with it. I cannot stop it from popping into my mind and every morning, evening and drive by the gas station sets me off into a repeated series of GD's that continue until I finally get tired of beating myself up or someone else is around and I have to stop it. It is especially bad before work and I am afraid my neighbor who walks their dog by my bathroom in the morning has heard my cussing sessions in the shower. I have lost sleep.I'm ok most of the time with random sessions of intense regret.

I casually play the lotto. I have only spent a few hundred dollars or so I guess since the lotto came to my state. I have studied it some and discovered that the odds are really bad and I think I may have won $3 one time. Several people at work play all the time and they motivate me to play by just hearing them talk about it on drawing days. So when the the power ball gets big or I feel lucky I usually buy a few tickets. 

Anyway 3/4/15 I had a perfect drive to and from work which is quite rare, no one pulled out in front of me and I got to go 63mph on cruise each way to my amazement. I decided I should buy some lotto tickets because I needed gas. During the feb. 2015 564 million jackpot which I played for several times I told one of my co-workers who plays all the time that I was going to pick some numbers that really mean something to me and just play those when ever the pots get big or when ever I decide to play plus maybe a couple of QP's.

So those numbers were 8-12-15-35-50 and I would pick the powerball out of a few numbers and I cant explain my reason b/c it is just too lengthy to type out, but I am certain 32 was most likely the number I would have picked based on my system and the previous ticket I would have been looking at to choose my numbers that day.

The numbers all represent important dates/ages/years of me and my immediate family. I had played the exact numbers for the 564 jack pot. I did change one number the last time I played them 8-12-35-50-55 because I was trying three big numbers vs three small ones 8-12-15-35-50 but I intended to go back to my original number and play both sets next time because I was still finalizing my actual one favorite set decision.

Anyway after gas I thought I am running late, I need groceries, I have to cook , and then it happened,

I thought my numbers never hit, maybe after dinner I'll go out and get them, but who am I kidding when I check back in a few days I'll confirm I made the right decision.

When I checked the numbers the following saturday my eyes got  big as saucers, I cant believe I screwed this up, now I am having a very hard time dealing with the thought that I would have been able to retire and live the life of a carefree rich guy. This is very tough on me. Poof it is gone, back to work till i die, i despise having to get up and work every day punching a clock, and this statistically will never happen again. I feel like I missed the one biggest chance at an incredible adventure I'll ever get. Even though I am ok financially without it, the idea of the complete financial freedom of winning if I would have just followed through with my original plan is killing me.

It was for 90 million, 31,700,000 after taxes. The 5 balls were a lock at 1,000,000 - 600,000 after tax

I feel a cussing session coming on.......any thoughts that can help me deal with this are appreciated.

Several members here probably see me mention the butterfly effect in my posts time to time, and this is a perfect example as to why you shouldn't let this beat you up. I know after seeing the results, all the things that could have been with the money runs through your mind, and I know it must be sickening, but you need to realize that if you played the numbers, different numbers most likely would have come up and you wouldn't have won. The smallest change of events changes everything in the entire universe.

Gonna win.Big Smile

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4104 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2015, 12:48 am - IP Logged

" The smallest change of events changes everything in the Entire Universe". Are you a disciple of Deepak Chopra Guru?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
      Member #133462
      September 30, 2012
      5946 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

I think the Butterfly Effect applies to the Gloria win. If she had not gotten in front of the other customer buying lottery tickets the machine would have drawn completely different numbers. As for this loss, ish happens. Sometimes we lose. Get over it, Move on and live to play another day.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

p4wanbi's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        WA
        United States
        Member #122238
        January 27, 2012
        180 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2015, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Dont be devestated...been through exactly like you did...ended up beating myself for a couple days and got back on track. I then chose to play a different game later , pick 4. If its not meant to be then so be it. It is similar to the one that got away relationship. The memory will be there and will haunt you til you hit the one thats meant to be. 

Good luck!

playing what can be afforded...spend half of what was reclaimed.

Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2015, 10:39 am - IP Logged

" The smallest change of events changes everything in the Entire Universe". Are you a disciple of Deepak Chopra Guru?

Nope. Can't say that I am.Wink

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1492 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2015, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Guru101,  are you saying that if she would have played her own number set, different winning numbers would have come out?

Portland, OR
              United States
              Member #145973
              August 20, 2013
              226 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2015, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I think I know what you are feeling.  I got $150 out of it though...

Drawing Results:
              11 · 20 · 30 · 34 · 38
              Mega Ball: 12

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19817 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2015, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Guru101,  are you saying that if she would have played her own number set, different winning numbers would have come out?

I think he's saying her best chance at winning was to buy a ticket, she didn't so why does she expect a pity party?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1953 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2015, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I think the Butterfly Effect applies to the Gloria win. If she had not gotten in front of the other customer buying lottery tickets the machine would have drawn completely different numbers. As for this loss, ish happens. Sometimes we lose. Get over it, Move on and live to play another day.

The butterfly effect would apply to this situation as well. Everything, including ourselves, is a part of the equation. I don't think people realize how much would have changed had he taken the time to play the numbers. The change in timing and course of his movements(standing, walking, driving) would have changed the timing and course of everything around him, just as everything else has an effect on him. Events are recorded in our brain as memories and sometimes historically documented, and we label these previous events the "past". The past however, is not something that physically exists, just as the future doesn't physically exist. The universe is way more chaotic than what most people think. It's so chaotic, that it affects the most miniscule of things that we take for granted, such as winning lottery numbers.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2015, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Yes - more than likely(see my previous post). So much more likely that I'd bet money on it. Don't get me wrong, that set of numbers very well could have been picked still, but I think so much would have changed that different numbers would have been picked.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1648 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2015, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Yep, it's the curse of having a dedicated set of numbers which you know like your social security number and you've got to play 'em faithfully or this is what happens. There are many people whom we don't know that have fallen into this category and so will others...and I hate it for 'em. This is the sole reason I've never committed myself to dedicated numbers because just when I can't, or, don't play the risk is actually very reasonable for a HUGE loss...much larger than the few bucks it would've cost to lose upon having not matched anything anyway. Hey, keep playing and it to your list of things NOT to do when playing the lottery...and good luck, again hopefully.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
                        Member #145267
                        August 1, 2013
                        1492 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2015, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

I really don't know what to say about your post because I use to think the same, because I thought that the lottery was rigged.  At times I still do.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Ft. Washington, MD
                          United States
                          Member #159267
                          September 20, 2014
                          123 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I was referring to the feeling of on any of the lottery games for most of us.

It's a gamble.

Personally, I had 5/6 on the old big game and was 1 digit off of the 6th number years ago.

They were numbers that I picked.

I get that same cussing feeling even when I miss the 3 or 4 digit.

If I'm playing keno or racetrax and miss out on my numbers because I could not get them in, I feel a cussing session coming on.

I know you are referring Powerball, but losses hurt however they come.

I am right with you on this one. I been playing multimatch and all the other games. i mostly hit 3 or 4 numbers and been one or 2 nbrs off. Close calls. Then there are the days i don't play and i see numbers i would have played hit. I just smile a big s**t eating grin and laugh it off. Wink I always say well could've been but move on to the nxt plan. Like you say "it's a gamble " for all of us.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Ft. Washington, MD
                            United States
                            Member #159267
                            September 20, 2014
                            123 Posts
                            Posted: March 21, 2015, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Yes - more than likely(see my previous post). So much more likely that I'd bet money on it. Don't get me wrong, that set of numbers very well could have been picked still, but I think so much would have changed that different numbers would have been picked.

Guru, i like your philosphical spin on lottery playing you make a lot of sense. I understand you are making it kind of spiritual so as not to get too carried away with the thought.Thumbs Up

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                              Happy California
                              United States
                              Member #157856
                              August 2, 2014
                              1506 Posts
                              Posted: March 21, 2015, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I agree that when you play your dedicated numbers with advance play but you miss one draw then you feel naked and vulnerable.  If my numbers had come up then I would feel like you do.

A Greek philosopher once said that perceived good outcomes do not always produce good results.  A bad outcome does not always produce bad results. Life is strange, glorious , and unpredictable for most of us.  I think that the philosopher's name was Phury.

Another Greek philosopher named Euripides proclaimed that ," For whom the gods wish to destroy they first  make him instantly rich". I first read that quote in a Lottery  Post article about David Lee Edwards.

Keep the Faith and Keep hope alive !!