Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which is better, Skill or Luck?

Topic closed. 66 replies. Last post 1 year ago by JADELottery.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

Skillful Player or Feelin' Lucky?

Skill [ 26 ]  [48.15%]
Luck [ 28 ]  [51.85%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
Member #4877
May 30, 2004
5124 Posts
Posted: September 5, 2015, 7:22 am - IP Logged

he said skill..... she said.....luck Psyko said.....

"MONEY TALK$"  buy as many tickets as U can afford  Dance

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1707 Posts
    Posted: September 5, 2015, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

It takes SKILL to play and win Pick 3/4.   It takes SKILL to PLAY Pick 5/PB/MM, but it takes LUCK to WIN Pick 5/PB/MM.

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5124 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2015, 11:53 am - IP Logged

It takes SKILL to play and win Pick 3/4.   It takes SKILL to PLAY Pick 5/PB/MM, but it takes LUCK to WIN Pick 5/PB/MM.

DC:

Don't give up til you "drink" from a...................

Party  GOLD CUP   Party

Dance   Party

paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
        Member #3002
        December 11, 2003
        477 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2015, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

he said skill..... she said.....luck Psyko said.....

"MONEY TALK$"  buy as many tickets as U can afford  Dance

I Agree!

Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late - Benjamin Franklin.
          Dallas,TX
          United States
          Member #152930
          March 1, 2014
          40 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2015, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Luck is important with anything, but it depends on what you are doing.  With some gambling events, you do need some skill (from experience) and luck. Something like bowling, golf, you need more skill.  Lottery?  Well, more luck than skill - but, some skill (if you have a method or can win if xyz occurs).

With Scratch Off cards?   You need both - Skill from watching, keeping up with the game, developing (or trying) new methods, and some luck because of distribution - which, according to an Insider on a Reddit thread, even the Lotto people don't know where the Jackpot packets are distributed to.  I find that hard to believe.  Yes, I'm sure that a game is printed all at once, but someone would have to insert 'code' into the printing process with some language that would randomly print Jackpot cards in a manner where no one knew when or where they would be after game was printed.  Surely SOMEONE checked the printing before the covering was added to the cards? 

A Lotto Supervisor with high Security-Access (in Iowa, I think) rigged the camera's that watched over the computer room where DRAW info was kept, and he fixed the cameras to record only 1 second per minute, then slipped in and used a flash-drive and got info to win a large jackpot.  He won, but the STORE cameras were not fixed, and they recorded him buying the ticket.  But . . . Someone was smart enough to check the cameras before he could switch the cameras back to normal. And the other people with these keys were checked out and denied they did it.  So, he was unlucky?  Or, did he lack skill?  Or brains?  But, what about the answer to the question: "Who switched the Camera settings?"  Even IF he could have switched them back, wouldn't he need to have further plans in order to remain anonymous?  Cashing it, bank accounts, a lot of people looking for any trace.  Sure, if he could have switched the cameras back, they would still have shown only 1 second of recording per minute if anyone checked that out.  No luck and no skill.

I don't want to be lucky to just simply win - I want to be lucky enough to find a method or system that works and not have to depend on luck.  So,  lucky enough to use skill, and skilled enough to generate enough luck that will lead me to a system or method that would allow me to find certain days, or combinations to play those and win.  I'd be happy with that - it would be more satisfying.  Like tonight - trying a new (because it's complete I believe) method that I've developed for the Lotto 6/54.  If I've found the right processes, it will work.  If not, still work to do (assuming it is possible AND some RNG won't switch to another number set after detecting a winning ticket).

Cash Crown

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5615 Posts
            Posted: September 16, 2015, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Luck is important with anything, but it depends on what you are doing.  With some gambling events, you do need some skill (from experience) and luck. Something like bowling, golf, you need more skill.  Lottery?  Well, more luck than skill - but, some skill (if you have a method or can win if xyz occurs).

With Scratch Off cards?   You need both - Skill from watching, keeping up with the game, developing (or trying) new methods, and some luck because of distribution - which, according to an Insider on a Reddit thread, even the Lotto people don't know where the Jackpot packets are distributed to.  I find that hard to believe.  Yes, I'm sure that a game is printed all at once, but someone would have to insert 'code' into the printing process with some language that would randomly print Jackpot cards in a manner where no one knew when or where they would be after game was printed.  Surely SOMEONE checked the printing before the covering was added to the cards? 

A Lotto Supervisor with high Security-Access (in Iowa, I think) rigged the camera's that watched over the computer room where DRAW info was kept, and he fixed the cameras to record only 1 second per minute, then slipped in and used a flash-drive and got info to win a large jackpot.  He won, but the STORE cameras were not fixed, and they recorded him buying the ticket.  But . . . Someone was smart enough to check the cameras before he could switch the cameras back to normal. And the other people with these keys were checked out and denied they did it.  So, he was unlucky?  Or, did he lack skill?  Or brains?  But, what about the answer to the question: "Who switched the Camera settings?"  Even IF he could have switched them back, wouldn't he need to have further plans in order to remain anonymous?  Cashing it, bank accounts, a lot of people looking for any trace.  Sure, if he could have switched the cameras back, they would still have shown only 1 second of recording per minute if anyone checked that out.  No luck and no skill.

I don't want to be lucky to just simply win - I want to be lucky enough to find a method or system that works and not have to depend on luck.  So,  lucky enough to use skill, and skilled enough to generate enough luck that will lead me to a system or method that would allow me to find certain days, or combinations to play those and win.  I'd be happy with that - it would be more satisfying.  Like tonight - trying a new (because it's complete I believe) method that I've developed for the Lotto 6/54.  If I've found the right processes, it will work.  If not, still work to do (assuming it is possible AND some RNG won't switch to another number set after detecting a winning ticket).

Cash Crown

We don't have to worry about someone messing around with draw computers in Texas, because we have only mechanical ball draws. It's not impossible to rig ball draws, but it is a lot harder to do.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5124 Posts
              Posted: September 19, 2015, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

P762>CC>RBE:

I Agree! PLAY "HARD" ball with "BRAINS" no RNG!

Dance                   Party                                                                               $208 million dollar PowerBall 9/19/15

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10354 Posts
                Posted: September 23, 2015, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Well the OP was posted on Aug 3rd and as luck would have it the votes are tied!

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #35335
                  March 16, 2006
                  116 Posts
                  Posted: September 24, 2015, 9:40 am - IP Logged

My vote is Skill.  Here's why ... First and foremost what game(s) are we talking about?  Take the pick 3/4 when we KNOW that a 0-3-6 and/or it's mirror follows a 0 a high % of the time how us that luck

When we study, I mean TRULY study games like the power ball and KNOW that 100% of the time YES 109% of the time at least 1 back digit repeats and sometimes 3-5 hiw us that luck?

ive won too much money these past 2 years working hard, studying for hours ... I mean 60+ hours a week on the jackpot games I've never seen me win once on luck by going to the store , fill out a ticket and go la la la skip to loo all the way up to the register 

IMHO yes more folks win off of QPs and you can say they are all lucky. Why? Because they have no clue how to predict any of the numbers plus again IMHO the % of lottery jackpot winners is skewed by their statistics. I think they claim 70% of the people win off QPs....hmm....let's get 100 people in a room and split this group into two groups.  Group A buys QPs, a Group B picks their own numbers   Now we have a true % to go buy and I bet group B will win more often   The ur 70% is based off of millions of people.  So let's  say 2 million buy QPs and 100,000 pick their own numbers.   Well duh of course the QPs will have a higher percentage of winners. Let's match apples with apples

Honestly, it doesn't matter.  Given enough time Group A and Group B winnings will be identical.  I have two systems.  My preferred system is playing cold numbers.  In fact that is all I spend at the lottery terminal.  The method I use is very easy to reverse to pick hot numbers.  I post my cold numbers to LP predictions, but I keep both sets of numbers for my own amusement.  When my cold picks seem to run dry, the hot picks seem to be doing better, and vice verse.  Which one does better is unpredictable.  When I experimented with a neutral set of numbers by splitting hot/neutral/cold into as close to 1/3 as possible, and generating 3 sets of numbers, the results were the same.  Neither system came out ahead.  I've got 64 GB of ram and produce 1 million rows of these predictions in Excel, then import those results into Access.  It doesn't take long to have a list of 100 million predictions.  You know, playing hot, cold, or neutral with 100 million predictions still does not generate winners MOST draws.  Pseudo random generators suck, that's what I'm trying to say because how in the world can I 'predict' 300 million guesses and still miss occasionally?!

Even the Powerball FAQ says:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                    The Quantum Master
                    West Concord, MN
                    United States
                    Member #21
                    December 7, 2001
                    3675 Posts
                    Posted: September 24, 2015, 11:05 am - IP Logged

"... WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to 80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences? ..."

Actually, as luck would have it, this is only half the fact.

To be correct, it should say:

"... About 70% to 80% of winners and Losers are computer picks..."

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                    Wisdom is Not Censored
                    Douglas Paul Smallish
                    Jehocifer

United States
                      Member #35335
                      March 16, 2006
                      116 Posts
                      Posted: September 25, 2015, 8:31 am - IP Logged

I read that as 140% to 160% of winners and Losers are computer picks...

The Quantum Master
                        West Concord, MN
                        United States
                        Member #21
                        December 7, 2001
                        3675 Posts
                        Posted: September 25, 2015, 8:56 am - IP Logged

Cognitively Challenged?

Uh-aaahhh-oo-Kaay then... moving on.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                        Douglas Paul Smallish
                        Jehocifer

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10354 Posts
                          Posted: September 25, 2015, 9:55 am - IP Logged

"... WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to 80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences? ..."

Actually, as luck would have it, this is only half the fact.

To be correct, it should say:

"... About 70% to 80% of winners and Losers are computer picks..."

JADELottery,

That's true but it doesn't negate the fact that in the long run out of every 10 jackpot winners 7 or 8 were quick picks.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

The Quantum Master
                            West Concord, MN
                            United States
                            Member #21
                            December 7, 2001
                            3675 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2015, 11:08 am - IP Logged

JADELottery,

That's true but it doesn't negate the fact that in the long run out of every 10 jackpot winners 7 or 8 were quick picks.

Stating the obvious doesn't negate Millions of quick pick losers either.

Lucky for US, we Skilfully have another topic contrasting quick picks and self picks: Would you stop playing the lottery if you were restricted to Quick Picks?

Wink

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                            Douglas Paul Smallish
                            Jehocifer

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19831 Posts
                              Posted: September 25, 2015, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Stating the obvious doesn't negate Millions of quick pick losers either.

Lucky for US, we Skilfully have another topic contrasting quick picks and self picks: Would you stop playing the lottery if you were restricted to Quick Picks?

Wink

Nor does it negates the one time PB had over two hundreds 5+0 winners they were all self picks even if they were from a fortune cookie.  Quick picks have never come close to doing that.

For me quick picks are my back-up plan when I don't have time to pick may own numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking