Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto synchronizer big test

Topic closed. 197 replies. Last post 13 years ago by lottoshlep.

Page 12 of 14
PrintE-mailLink
luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
Member #1687
June 16, 2003
1047 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2003, 4:38 am - IP Logged

bob p

ok you sound reasonable/

lets see what happens.

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
    NJ
    United States
    Member #1924
    July 28, 2003
    113 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2003, 7:56 am - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by Prometheus1 on October 23, 2003

Guru,

I said it in the beginning of this thread and I will say it again. There is an obvious disconnect in your system. Normally I would say that this thread was a waste of time, but as long as you are entertaining us, that means you are leaving everyone else in the world alone.   

Your system is childish, and never takes in to account the natural discretizations of diffusion and any unit of time. Three draws! No! This is not funny, or even entertaining.

Mixed Finite Volume Difference discretizations of steady diffusion with arbitrary combinations of boundary conditions, should be obvious. The differential operations are discretized with respect to the natural projections dictated by the (generalized) Theorem. The diffusion coefficient is then discretized by looking at its inverse as an
    operation of mapping fluxes to tangential integrals .

Your system provides and assumes that the diffusion coefficient is positive, measurable and bounded away from zero and infinity. The computed point values of the flux converge in max norm to the exact values of the weak solution,does not even consider the source term is integrable! In the first place if the source term is square integrable, and in the second place if the primal grid is aligned with the discontinuities of the source term in such a way that the restriction of the source term to every grid cell has a square integrable derivative. It doesn't matter .........your system had no wheels from the first ridiculous assumption.
     It's unplugged, and it does nothing. The only thing you can do with it now... is to Sell it! I think you and your people have already come to that conclusion and thats why your here.  Go sell it to the French. LOL   

Hey prome

If I can program what you said , would that produce a real winner?

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
      NJ
      United States
      Member #1924
      July 28, 2003
      113 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2003, 8:01 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by BobP on October 24, 2003

Hi Luckycat:

Trying to keep the mind open to just before the point my brain falls out and the cats nibble on it.

I like to think there are pearls out there in some of those clams.

My money stays firmly in my pocket until I reach the lottery counter.

Long as I'm not paying it's hard to complain about the quality of the show.  Who am I kidding, I love to complain . . .

I'll usually pay to see what the kids have in the box, then try to get them to release it.  Don't you want to see what the thing in the box turns out to be?  You won't get to see if you tease and cause them to run home.

Think I lost my train

Oh ya, I was surprised to see the product available for sale early, guess there are always those who go to the first showing before waiting for the review.  Me, if they discovered gold in my back yard I'd show up in about a week.  I would like to know if any system is good or bad for sure, rather then miss the trial and never know.

BobP,

Guru is using Microsoft marketing strategy (build crap and they will buy it) then produce new and improved crap until dventually it really does work.

Can't blame Guru for that strategy it worked for Billy and his boys.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23277 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2003, 9:12 am - IP Logged

WILLSELL:

I've been using Microsoft products since the days that they developed the first version of DOS.  Microsoft has been one of the best companies ever founded, and it has been through the creation of innovative products.  Lottery Post runs on 100% Microsoft software.  (With the exception of the Web site of course, which I wrote.)

They get an unfair amount of bashing in the media, probably by the same people who wrote the upcoming "The Reagans" CBS movie.  (For those who don't know about the upcoming CBS hatchet job on the Reagans, check out this link.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
          NJ
          United States
          Member #1924
          July 28, 2003
          113 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2003, 3:34 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by Todd on October 25, 2003

WILLSELL:

I've been using Microsoft products since the days that they developed the first version of DOS.  Microsoft has been one of the best companies ever founded, and it has been through the creation of innovative products.  Lottery Post runs on 100% Microsoft software.  (With the exception of the Web site of course, which I wrote.)

They get an unfair amount of bashing in the media, probably by the same people who wrote the upcoming "The Reagans" CBS movie.  (For those who don't know about the upcoming CBS hatchet job on the Reagans, check out this link.)

Todd

based on your comment you are from the other school of IT technology. That says that for ease of use (cough cough) etc. we are willing to overlook or accept the bugginess.

That may work for the home user but not in a business environment.

So today with XP and 2003 server they are doing a better job of getting it right the first time, but the products are still full of holes bugs etc. Don't think so ? Just check the latest patches and SP releases. The strategy still remains deliver 20% functionality and fix the rest via patches  and upgrades.

So from a technological perspective it is the biggest game in town but not the only game and surely not the best. If that were the case then linux etc would have never gained a foothold in the server OS arena as evdinced by IBM integrating linux with their product offerings.

From a home user point of view, it is a good product mainly because a typical user will turn the PC on and click IE, email, etc.

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
            NJ
            United States
            Member #1924
            July 28, 2003
            113 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2003, 3:55 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by Todd on October 25, 2003

WILLSELL:

BTW MR I love my Microsoft...lol

how many additional product or tools did you have to employ to make you web secure?

How many patches did you have to apply to close security holes?

When was the last time that your OS burped?

Yes MS has come a long way from MSDOS and does improve with each release. But Knowing what you know now would you buy Win 3.1?

Of course not. But that was the strength of Billy's marketing that forced you to buy CRAP and then pay for more Crap(win95 , millenium win98 et al). I am a happy camper with the current MS suite of tools. Just lamenting over the pain endured while waiting for the real products (XP, win2000, win2003).

IBM once had the world by a string until they refused to listen to developers and builders and look what happened to them.

They blew a strangle hold on the PC market and Big iron became scrap metal. I don't think Billy will make that mistake. He is slowly and graciously relenting to the open architecture concepts that have worked well for LInux.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #1340
              April 6, 2003
              2450 Posts
              Posted: October 25, 2003, 4:02 pm - IP Logged
              Quote: O

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #1340
                April 6, 2003
                2450 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2003, 4:08 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by WILLSELL on October 25, 2003

how many additional product or tools did you have to employ to make you web secure?

A Linux Firewall... Not that MS doesn't have ISA server, it's just that the stuff is so expensive (Samba vs. TermServer from MS...MySQL vs MSSQL Server...)

How many patches did you have to apply to close security holes?

Sometimes it's just easier to wait for the next service pack.

When was the last time that your OS burped?

I'm happy if 2k server stays up a week... The Linux server has an uptime of 168 days so far... and the only reason it started over was because of a building-wide blackout (Boss to CHEAP to fork up $$$ for a UPS)

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23277 Posts
                  Posted: October 25, 2003, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

hypersoniq & WILLSELL,

Well you guys are definitely from the other side of the spectrum.  (A bit of brainwashing here?)

I think I said I use 100% Microsoft products, why are you questioning what other software I use?  Was I not clear enough?  (Perhaps you're accustomed to using a patchwork of buggy UNIX varieties all strung together with a zillion patches and bug fixes.)

Microsoft is wonderful because they provide their patches and bugs fixes in a way that is very easy to administer - unlike UNIX/Linux/whatever, which is annoying and vendor-specific.

Are you saying Microsoft is bad because they need patches?  I hope not, because you not very experienced if you think you don't need them for ANY OS.

Are you saying that UNIX variants are not buggy in their first releases?  Again, you are quite inexperienced if you say "yes".

It is so sad that people like you choose to root against Microsoft as if they were a sports franchise that you despise.  You make deriding comments, simply jumping on the bandwagon, and I seriously doubt you have much real-world experience to back up your feelings.

Did you actually install and run an ISA server?  Have you actually compared its cost to a comparable UNIX solution?  From your comments the answer is "no" in both cases.  I can easily answer "yes" to both questions, so I think I'm in a much better position to form a reasonable judgment.

You have problems keeping a Windows 2000 server running for more than a week?  Well, no offense intended, but I think that speaks of your lack of experience/knowledge, because I don't have those kind of problems.

On the other hand, the world's largest consumer products/pharmaceutical company has contracted my services for more than a year now, and I personally developed technology behind about half of their Web sites.  They run all UNIX-based systems for Web, database, apps, etc.  Those systems are incredibly difficult to manage and expensive, and require all kinds of redundancy to keep them up all the time - which is all typical of big UNIX-based systems.  However, all their network and communications are Microsoft-based technologies, which have an incredible track record there.

Your bias, which is likely based upon nothing more than maybe your own limited experiences plus the rantings of industry wanna-bees, does not hold up in the real world.

Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #1340
                    April 6, 2003
                    2450 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2003, 11:25 am - IP Logged

I don't use 100%

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
                      NJ
                      United States
                      Member #1924
                      July 28, 2003
                      113 Posts
                      Posted: October 26, 2003, 11:31 am - IP Logged

Whew , At least you admit t

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
                        NJ
                        United States
                        Member #1924
                        July 28, 2003
                        113 Posts
                        Posted: October 26, 2003, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Hyper,

I admire your efforts to do so much with so little and no budget.

If I had to hire someone today, it would be someone with your backround because you have had to learn the nitty gritty details the hard way and that is what experience is all about.

You are on the right track with terminal server but you don't have the horsepower to run it.

We use two boxes to support local and remote users.

The file server is the workhorse with 2 gig memory raid drives and tons of disk space. The other box is our application server in a Citrix environment. Works great but cost!

If you can get a box with some horsepower then you could squeeze by with native terminal server, especially since you are in a training environment.

Hang in there and forgive Todd for his "real-world" comments....rofl

Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: October 26, 2003, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

All of my tools for lottery work are MS based also... MS office XP (Excel Access) and Visual Studio (6 and .NET).

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23277 Posts
                            Posted: October 26, 2003, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

willsell,

You are wrong in trying to "size up" who I am or what roles I play.  I am also not on a "sensitive trip" - I think you are though.  I never brought up what you thought about my experience - I specifically made mention of YOUR lack of experience.

It was a good try on your part to try and turn things around, but it didn't work.

You didn't debate any of the points in question, but instead tried to take pot shots at me.

Unless you can tell me about your experience in the IT world, I'm sorry, but your opinion doesn't really carry much weight.  You're just another Microsoft-bashing wanna-be.

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23277 Posts
                              Posted: October 26, 2003, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

hypersoniq,

Sounds like you have a lot of gripes about the workplace.  I haven't really heard anything from you which indicates that you're in good position to pass judgment on Microsoft.

Page 12 of 14