Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Terri Shiavo dies-age 41

Topic closed. 96 replies. Last post 12 years ago by emilyg.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Poway CA (San Diego County)
United States
Member #3489
January 25, 2004
14120 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2005, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Since Todd has not considered this "off topic", I will add my comments.  I agree that a person needs to put their wishes concerning life support into a document (Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney for Health), but in many cases it still doesn't work.  Some of you might remember the lady that recently testified before a congressional committee about the subject.  Her husband was an attorney (she is also an attorney).  He had a DPOA and it stated that he didn't want life support if there was little hope of recovery, etc.  Guess who makes that determination?  That's right, the doctors.  They kept saying that he might recover, so the life support was not removed.  The lady had to go through a court process to get the life support removed.  It happened, but it took a long time.  I don't want to quote incorrect statistics, so I won't!  But the percentage of DPOAs that do no good because of the family's wishes or the opinions of doctors was staggering when given in the committee's report. 

So, yes, do the paperwork, but know that it may do no good when "push comes to shove".

MollyG's avatar - happy
    TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
    United States
    Member #9019
    November 25, 2004
    523 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2005, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

HOPEFULLY, the ones who made all those decisions will get their "come-upins"

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
      Clarkston, Michigan
      United States
      Member #76
      January 6, 2002
      8528 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2005, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

Molly, I do believe, "what goes around, comes around"........the time will come in those decision makers life.............we "reap what we sow".......old saying but so true............

EP, I am sorry............I just looked......I do have a living will PLUS a DPOA.....so you were right I guess.........I just let the lawyer handle it....and got the signatures notarized.............CD, you are probably right.....it will probably end up in the courts............

Pick3Fairy: yes, what are we going to do with all the old people...........start killing them off?  Our society has gotten heartless. 

I don't know the details but I bet her husband gets life insurance when she dies.................or maybe her parents...............there always money that goes with evil...............money brings out the worst in all of us.....

CD.......it kinda passes Todd's inspection I think because we use the age at death as a key number today.........which is 41.............it may have nothing to do with the lottery, but it does have something to do with humanity and what we have become as a society...........

Actually 666 should be a good number today......the Devil's work has been done.

Sandy

Clarkston, Michigan
        United States
        Member #76
        January 6, 2002
        8528 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2005, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

The 41 has started...........143 in Ohio

Sandy

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23277 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2005, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Sandy,

Don't worry it's not off topic.  CalifDude is just looking for opportunities to razz me because I declared one of his topics "off topic".  Obviously, he carries grudges a long time, and feels that I wronged him.

Anyway, I completely agree with you.  What a travesty that this was allowed to occur in America.  Being in a country that treats a dog better than a human being is shameful.  The next time I hear a PETA person yell about a dog that is underfed I'll ask them if they raised as big a concern over Terri.

The husband moved on with his life, and was obviously not looking out for the best interests of his wife.  If he had simply turned Terri over to her parents none of this would have happened.  Instead, he has turned into one of the most hated people in America.  He will spend the rest of his life as a despised man.  (Getting what is coming to him.)

I can't get over the fact that this was allowed to happen - to actually starve a woman to death, and have the police enforce such a thing.

I blame the judiciary branch -- both at the state level and the federal level -- which is slowly destroying this country.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MollyG's avatar - happy
            TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
            United States
            Member #9019
            November 25, 2004
            523 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2005, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

we all know, we will hear..."well, I heard this"

So, here goes...someone just told me that Terry could eat being hand fed and her husband ordered that stopped a long time ago. I don't know if this is true or not...may be just hear-say.  and, maybe I shouldn't have posted it...but, I did

United States
              Member #1759
              June 29, 2003
              1156 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2005, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

On a "Spiritual" Level we may never know what SHE really,truly desired but on a "Physical" level it seems like others were trying to make that decision for her.If it were me I would not want too be kept on Life Support

while in a state like she was.Not being able to live my life the way it was before a serious accident would be so traumatic that I would gladly welcome Death even if it were just a limb being amputated so being bed-ridden for life I would prefer not too live like that.I'm not saying whether what her Parents wanted or what her husband did was right or wrong because it's not for me too Judge.But after seeing what happened I plan on having my will state that Life Support not be an option if I become Bed-Riddden or Comatose for an extended period of time.These are my personal opinions/observations regarding this matter and nothing more but I do feel that our Government has a very unusual way of prioritising matters concerning our people and there importance which requires the need for immediate action/intervention.I would prefer not too have the Government in "MY PERSONAL" life for any reason what so ever after all it's my life not theres.

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2005, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

With all the fundementalists going to go into a frenzy, calling this the devil's work. May I suggest 666 for today. Hey there I go, my first prediction.

(insert signature here)

United States
                  Member #3489
                  January 25, 2004
                  14120 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2005, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I find it interesting that most of you think it was wrong to remove life support for Terri, but in the same breath you say that you would not want to live like that and want to have a DPOA stating that.  If you had asked Terri 20 years ago if she would like to live a life like she had for at least 15 years maybe longer, what do you think her answer would be?  I agree that her husband is a dirt bag, but he felt that she didn't want to live like that.  Her parents disagreed.  He was still married to her and had the legal right to have the feeding tube removed.  Virtually every judge and court and even the Supreme Court agreed. 

Clarkston, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #76
                    January 6, 2002
                    8528 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2005, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

what bothers me the most about this whole thing is what they did to the woman as far as "starvation".  That is cruel...............someone wanted to give her ice chips and was arrested...........the communion thing was atrocious that someone would even think to not let that happen.........probably because it was food and drink and as it was.....she could not take the bread because her tongue was too dry.........what does that tell you?  Cruelty in the worst sense of the word.  Witholding her feeding tube is one thing; putting her thru no water for an extended period of time is another thing.........it is plain barbaric.

We all let this happen, me included.  I never even contacted my Senator to voice my disapproval with the government actions.  My stomach actually turns when I think about all this.  I am ashamed of myself for not voicing any opinion at all.  Does one opinion count?  Nope..........but many opinions one at a time might of.

Sandy

Skony1's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                      Streetsboro, Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #1163
                      February 20, 2003
                      5981 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2005, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I find the whole dvent Horrific, thats my opinion

United States
                        Member #3489
                        January 25, 2004
                        14120 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2005, 3:02 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by Skony1 on March 31, 2005

I find the whole dvent Horrific, thats my opinion

I agree.

United States
                          Member #1759
                          June 29, 2003
                          1156 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2005, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I would have to disagree with you on the statement that "WE" all let this happen because "WE" really didn't have anything to do with it, basically it was a personal situation between her parents and her husband seeing as how she wasn't able to voice her TRUE desire about whether to be kept alive or not that became public, but it was still a personal matter amongst family.

United States
                            Member #3489
                            January 25, 2004
                            14120 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2005, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Sandy, Congress did act.  In fact they worked on the weekend to get a bill passed, finalized it Sunday evening, sent it to the President who signed it.  Don't blame yourself for not contacting your Senator. 

MollyG's avatar - happy
                              TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
                              United States
                              Member #9019
                              November 25, 2004
                              523 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2005, 5:43 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by Sandy K on March 31, 2005

what bothers me the most about this whole thing is what they did to the woman as far as "starvation".  That is cruel...............someone wanted to give her ice chips and was arrested...........the communion thing was atrocious that someone would even think to not let that happen.........probably because it was food and drink and as it was.....she could not take the bread because her tongue was too dry.........what does that tell you?  Cruelty in the worst sense of the word.  Witholding her feeding tube is one thing; putting her thru no water for an extended period of time is another thing.........it is plain barbaric.

We all let this happen, me included.  I never even contacted my Senator to voice my disapproval with the government actions.  My stomach actually turns when I think about all this.  I am ashamed of myself for not voicing any opinion at all.  Does one opinion count?  Nope..........but many opinions one at a time might of.

I agree!

If the parents wanted to continue keeping her alive, what sweat would it be off anyone else????  They could have taken her home, or left her where she was and taken care of her, and the rest of the world needn't know what her status was, until HE took her home or a miracle came.

I'd like to hear VisionDude's opinion on this.  Where is he, anyway?