Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Terri Shiavo dies-age 41

Topic closed. 96 replies. Last post 12 years ago by emilyg.

Page 4 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
South Carolina
United States
Member #491
July 16, 2002
837 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:09 pm - IP Logged
Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on March 31, 2005

She was not allowed to have a scat scan an mre or a swallow test by her husband.

She was also denied other things another person in her conditon was allowed to have to help them regain memory and speech.

That husband will rot in the infernos of haides.

Her last CAT scan was in 2002. HER DOCTORS felt that she didn't need a swallow test because several tests were done in the early part of her PVS, and the doctors didn't think it could possibly improve.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

MollyG's avatar - happy
    TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
    United States
    Member #9019
    November 25, 2004
    523 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Todd!

"She didn't starve to death. Her organs probably shut down due to dehydration"

and WHY was she dehydrated????

I'm not necessarily talking about her "feeling" anything....the point is: she was a LIVE person, breathing on her own, and requiring food/water to continue living....they took that away from her, so she would DIE.      and they won...she did die.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31337 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:12 pm - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on March 31, 2005

I also hate that this happened.  I have had the experience of dealing with a child who was in a similar situation.  He had no "outward" show of brain function but when we fed him thru his feeding tube and rubbed his stomach and talked to him, he would smile and coo.  He was giving us the best reaction that he could to show us how he appreciated what we were doing for him.  He will never get better nor will he hold a job but he deserves to live the same as anyone else.  Terry Schivo was treated very bad by her husband.  He should have given her back to her parents.  They knew how challenging it would be to take care of her and they were up for it.  What disturbs me now is that she is a Catholic and he wants to cremate her remains.  Catholics as far as I know don't believe in cremation.  It really makes me think the man is trying to cover something up.

both my parents - catholic - cremated according to their wishes.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I understand the Vatican changed their views and do in fact allow people to be cremated now.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #491
          July 16, 2002
          837 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:23 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by MollyG on March 31, 2005

Thanks, Todd!

I'm not necessarily talking about her "feeling" anything....the point is: she was a LIVE person, breathing on her own, and requiring food/water to continue living....they took that away from her, so she would DIE.      and they won...she did die.

It gets kind of complicated, but the court ruled that it was her wish not to be put on life support. A feeding tube is considered life support according to Floridia law. Michael Schiavo DID NOT make the decision to take her off the tube. The Court did.

South Carolina
            United States
            Member #491
            July 16, 2002
            837 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:25 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by Todd on March 31, 2005

I understand the Vatican changed their views and do in fact allow people to be cremated now.

Yes, it's been that way since 1963.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31337 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:29 pm - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by Thomas Covenant on March 31, 2005

Thanks, Todd!

It gets kind of complicated, but the court ruled that it was her wish not to be put on life support. A feeding tube is considered life support according to Floridia law. Michael Schiavo DID NOT make the decision to take her off the tube. The Court did.

thomas - as much as i hate what happened - i agree with you. 

love to nibble those micey feet.

MollyG's avatar - happy
                TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
                United States
                Member #9019
                November 25, 2004
                523 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know she had a preference..I thought that decision was made by her husband. I was under the impression he said she wouldn't want to live like this.   If that's the case,  why did they wait 15+ years?

He didn't have anything to do with removing the tube? Then, why were the parents fighting so hard to regain custody of her? Why wouldn't he just give up and turn her over to them (and walk away), if the parents would lose in the end, anyway? (meaning: the courts would demand her death)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

So, if Michael wanted to keep her on the tube, then the court would overrule him?  That's plain silly.  Michael made the decision to starve his wife to death, while the courts condoned it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
                    Clarkston, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #76
                    January 6, 2002
                    8528 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Exactly...........!!!!!!!!!

Sandy

Poway CA (San Diego County)
                      United States
                      Member #3489
                      January 25, 2004
                      14120 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Molly, they didn't wait for 15 years.  This case has been in the courts for about 10 years (I know someone will have the exact time). 

South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #491
                        July 16, 2002
                        837 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know she had a preference..I thought that decision was made by her husband. I was under the impression he said she wouldn't want to live like this.   If that's the case, why did they wait 15+ years?

He didn't have anything to do with removing the tube? Then, why were the parents fighting so hard to regain custody of her? Why wouldn't he just give up and turn her over to them (and walk away), if the parents would lose in the end, anyway? (meaning: the courts would demand her death)

Michael petitioned the Court in May of 1998 to determine whether Terri's feeding tube should be removed. He took the position that it should be removed, Terri's parents took the position that it shouldn't. In Febuary of 2000 Judge Greer ruled that it was Terri's wishes to have the tube removed.

The parents were not fighting to have custody, but to have the lower court's decision reversed. If Micheal had changed his mind and given custody over to her parents, it would not have made a difference on the outcome.

South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #491
                          July 16, 2002
                          837 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2005, 7:54 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by Todd on March 31, 2005

So, if Michael wanted to keep her on the tube, then the court would overrule him? That's plain silly. Michael made the decision to starve his wife to death, while the courts condoned it.

Yes, Michael wanted it removed, he filed the petition. If after the court ruled, Michael changed his mind, he would have had to fight it in court just like Terri's parents. The court ruled that it was Terri's decision, not Michael"s.

South Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #491
                            July 16, 2002
                            837 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2005, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

By the way, there was a case were a woman had a DNR order, and while she was dying, she changed her mind. The court ruled that she was not competent enough to make that decision, and she starved to death.

MollyG's avatar - happy
                              TEXAS (yeah!)Katy
                              United States
                              Member #9019
                              November 25, 2004
                              523 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2005, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I am just appauled!  I didn't realize OUR COURTS played God.

I'm going to TRY to not post anything else to this...it's making me very sad.

Everyone, peace.