Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what does a prediction formula look like?

Topic closed. 100 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #1340
April 6, 2003
2450 Posts
Posted: January 15, 2006, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

back to the core of development, what is a prediction algorithm? what does it look like? what are the steps needed to look at a list of numbers and try to extrapolate the next draw?

there must be something outside of the realm of lottery that can be tried...

links to sourcecode/math texts appreciated

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: January 15, 2006, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

If you can define an algorithm that cover 75% of the previous winning combinations, then you probably have a 75% chance of extrapolating the next winning combination.  The problem will be finding an algorithm that extrapolates a group of combinations that you can afford to cover. 

Some years ago I read about a Canadian lottery investment group that claimed they had done that with one of their 649 lottery which included about 300,000 combinations and was looking for players to invest $10,000 in their syndicate.  I checked the website and they had some impressive data about their previous successes, but nothing about their algorithm because it was proprietary.  I think it was some kind of scam or their success would have made the news by now.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: January 15, 2006, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

My thoughts are that the answer depends on (at least) three things.

1) type of game. I think p3/p4 types are a different beast than the lotto type games. And the worst are those where you can't pick all your own numbers. Chair

2) How often you are trying to win. A 'win-weekly' system for p3 may cause more grief than a once-a-month-and-done system for p4. Type

3) How much the spend per try. Can't have your cash run out today and your number fall tomorrow.Sad

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: January 15, 2006, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm not looking to win anything just yet... I want to see the basic mechanics and mathematics of prediction in general...  I think the interesting aspects of using a computer to help out would go smoother if we all understood what goes on behind the scenes... such as the formula used for simple extrapolation (still searching)

simple steps...

I would like to see the steps involved, break them down into individual steps, apply each step in excel to see how things progress... p3/p4/jackpot are different animals, but I think the basic fundimentals of looking at a list of numbers and generating what is most likely to be next is a way under-developed part of what everyone is doing with systems on the LP.

Canada
          Member #2352
          September 19, 2003
          42 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2006, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

It would be interesting to know what method Lottosync uses. I think it is based on Strange Attractors which makes a lot of sense since it is randomness used  to find randomness. I think he uses the differences between numbers rather than the actual numbers and then uses the values found to determine the best possible numbers that are in the sequence. But how he uses  those differences to generate the attractors is a mystery.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19830 Posts
            Posted: January 16, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

If as hypersonig stated in his post, "he's not looking to win anything just yet" then Lottosync might be a good candidate for his research, obviously the Guru put a lot of thought into his prediction algorithm before writing his program.

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: January 16, 2006, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Some people can't understand how there can be more than one system that works on the same game, so what you wind up with is fighting this idea that there is ONE WAY, ONE METHOD. Some methods(filters) are in direct conflict with others. I have spent plenty of time developing filters that I eventually tossed, not because they were bad in themselves, but because they didn't play well with some of the other filters.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

paurths's avatar - underground
                Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                Belgium
                Member #19287
                July 29, 2005
                2254 Posts
                Posted: January 16, 2006, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

what does a prediction formula look like?

The question lots of us asks ourselves. You can step up to the drawingstable, get pen and paper and just stare at the wall. No formula there.
                "This number follows that number", "use these groups to get hits from that group", "track the double return warning",  "throw 3 darts at your screen", "if it's raining play this, if the sun shines play that unless it's snowing in Key West", etc. etc. etc. ... there are plenty of "systems", and some people seem to have success with them, so that's good for them.

The posts where the winnings are in big are all over the forum, so i guess there must be more systems then there are numbers. It seems everybody is making truckloads of money... whenever some number hits.

So, i for one have no idea what a prediction formula look like, i'm not amongst the truckloads-winners, but it seems to me that there are plenty of people here that do know. All you/we have to do now is sit and wait, until they come forward and type the formula down in this thread.

Good thread, hypersoniq, just like the other one in "lottery systems". Your work is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
                Ricky

Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: January 16, 2006, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I am doing initial research into pattern recognition... some sites say that it cannot be taught, but it can be enhanced by an understanding of math...

for example

9-18-27-A?-45-54-63-72-81-90-B?

knowing multiples of 9 (or just being able to add 9) makes it obvious that

A=36

and

B=99

here's another

A-B-C-C-D-A-B-C-C-D-A-B-C-C-??

??=D

in each case, however... what were the individual steps involved? we all just "got it" without following any steps because of all those goofy papers in early elementary school with first picture patterns then numbers...

I believe the first pattern employed recognition of rote math facts... we all learned that sequence at some point in our lives and it "clicked" instantly...

the second pattern is obviously instant classification and grouping

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2006, 1:22 am - IP Logged

In defining and checking a prediction formula or system, it must pick a group of combinations that constantly do better than an equal amount of combinations picked randomly.  Eventually it should be self supporting, that is winning more than it cost to play the combinations it picks.

I've have been working on programs to back-test lottery results and look for parameters to pick combinations for future drawings.  I'm also working on a RNG that pick combinations using those parameters and as I come up with different parameters or formula I have to updated it to use them.

In my research, I've found a group of parameters that cover 40% of the possible MegaMillions combinations which included 50% of the winning combinations since the last change to 5/56+1/46.  If I could find a group of parameters or a formula that covered 20% of the possible combinations and still included 50% or more of the winning combinations then I might think I was getting close to something that had a chance of predicting a winner.

Evil Looking       

Anna, TX
                      United States
                      Member #26720
                      November 21, 2005
                      263 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2006, 2:07 am - IP Logged

I have been thinking, would it not be easier to find a prediction formula for a computerized drawing rather than a drawing with real balls? I am sure that the states that run computerized drawings do everything to keep that from happening, but under it all, there will be a pattern.

One time I was taking an attention test, which I had to sit at a computer and look at a black screen. Everyime it flashed I was to click this button. I was told that there was no pattern and it was completely random. Of course at that point it became a challange and I sat there and counted. between flashes. I hit usually right before, at the same time and very little after the flash.  The counts varied by 5 secs either way.

The testor was baffled that the test could not give me a score. I told her it was because most of the time I was clicking the same time it flashed, once I discovered the pattern and how it changed.  She said that was impossible because there was no pattern.  I told her there is no such thing.

Anyway, I was also wondering, maybe we are looking for the answer all wrong. what about creating a drawing? Then use the code in the drawing against itself to create a prediction. I hope that made sense.

Im not sure if I am expressing that right.

You know, like "to understand a criminal mind you must become a criminal?

Melissa 

Anna, TX
                        United States
                        Member #26720
                        November 21, 2005
                        263 Posts
                        Posted: January 17, 2006, 2:15 am - IP Logged

If you can define an algorithm that cover 75% of the previous winning combinations, then you probably have a 75% chance of extrapolating the next winning combination.  The problem will be finding an algorithm that extrapolates a group of combinations that you can afford to cover. 

Some years ago I read about a Canadian lottery investment group that claimed they had done that with one of their 649 lottery which included about 300,000 combinations and was looking for players to invest $10,000 in their syndicate.  I checked the website and they had some impressive data about their previous successes, but nothing about their algorithm because it was proprietary.  I think it was some kind of scam or their success would have made the news by now.

Would that algorithm work better undefined (in a sense)? Maybe a evolving, changing algorithm?

Melissa 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19830 Posts
                          Posted: January 17, 2006, 5:33 am - IP Logged

hareless,

Before a system or algorithm can evolve, it has to exist, that's the reason I test and try to improve what I already have.  I have no idea how to create algorithm that would evolve on its own, I'll leave that to the people who study AI.

Evil Looking       

Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #1340
                            April 6, 2003
                            2450 Posts
                            Posted: January 17, 2006, 6:01 am - IP Logged

AI is a good place to look... machine learning "for dummies" apparently hasn't been published yet, I have been looking...

mostly AI for pattern recognition leads to "black-box" artificial neural networks (ANNs)

I tried to implement this once with my old powerball statistics excel sheet... there were four particular excel functions I was using on the history: MODE(), MEDIAN(), AVERAGE() and FORECAST()

I had an average function that would take each pick and add a "weight" component... this weight was the number of times over history that the particular stat was correct. the formula ended up looking like this

=ROUND((((L351*C351)+(L352*C352)+(L353*C353)+(L354*C354))/C356),0)

where L351 was the "pick" using the MODE command, C351 was the number of times MODE was right over the draw history

L352 was MEDIAN, L353 was AVERAGE and L 354 was FORECAST

C356 was the SUM of C351-C354 this kept the weights in line (so the pick would stay within draw boundaries)

this formula was  copied for each position (5WBs and 1 PB)

for an example

pick  weight

2      24

7      25

1      31

8      27

sum of weights=107

becomes =ROUND((((2*24)+(7*25)+(1*31)+(8*27))/107),0)

answer is 4

of course this just ends up being an elaborate "sliding average" and did not pass backtesting, but it did represent one of the core neural net concepts of adding a weight to an input

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19830 Posts
                              Posted: January 19, 2006, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know you could put AI modules in Excel or write one using Excel.  I would have thought that rather than just being a "sliding average" it would have produced or suggested an action based on historical data.

Evil Looking