Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

illegal immigrants poll

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

should a person who is here illegally be able to cash in lottery winnings?

yes they should be able to [ 47 ]  [32.19%]
no they should not be able to [ 89 ]  [60.96%]
not sure at this time [ 10 ]  [6.85%]
Total Valid Votes [ 146 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 17 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2006, 5:01 am - IP Logged

should illegal immigrants be able to cash in lottery winnings?

lucky1313's avatar - disney08
    Asheboro,NC
    United States
    Member #22902
    October 4, 2005
    64 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:48 am - IP Logged

As long they are playing with their own money and paying taxes over the winnings ... they should

after all lottery is a way to pay taxes voluntarily , right?????? when we don't win which is most of the time

where the money goes?????????.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23262 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2006, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Lottomike,

Thanks for posting this poll.  Very relevant topic, and I'm very interested in the results.  I hope everyone takes a second to vote.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

konane's avatar - wallace
        Atlanta, GA
        United States
        Member #1265
        March 13, 2003
        3333 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2006, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Seems the burden lies with separate lotteries and their rules which conform to their state laws. 

I voted yes on this based on their ability to present whatever legal documents are currently required in order to claim a jackpot.

Now, with that question being brought up by current protests, current pending legislation, proposed legislation it seems fitting that states should revise their laws to conform to what residents of those states demand..... since lotteries are controlled by states and their laws.

Good luck to everyone!

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: April 15, 2006, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Let me make this as succinct as possible:

Hell No.

Litebets27's avatar - power
            Maryland
            United States
            Member #10465
            January 14, 2005
            6065 Posts
            Posted: April 15, 2006, 9:00 am - IP Logged

I believe that immigrants of any kind are not required to pay taxes for up to 5 years of residency here in the U.S.  I maybe wrong about this. But, many years ago I remember having a discussion about paying taxes while I was working. One of the nurses who had been bought in from another country to help fill in the nursing shortage at that time, spoke up. She was interested in knowing about paying taxes for future reference. It was then that I learned about the tax requirements. I'm not sure if this has changed over the years or not. This happened about 15 years ago.

I wish I didn't have to pay taxes on a large win of any kind. I mean, this is a game of chance that we are playing for enjoyment or financial gain. I feel that paying taxes on money won on an annual bases as in income earned is fair. But taking out of money won right off of the top is outrageous. (but thats another poll)

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3333 Posts
              Posted: April 15, 2006, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Find out what the laws are in your individual state as far as documents required to claim a jackpot ..... and if not to your liking become an activist on the issue and push for change.

If enough people are persistent enough especially when a hot button issue is before the public such as illegal aliens then legislators have to bend to pressure and amend laws for stricter requirements.

Email, call or write a letter to your state and national legislators ....... or sit idly by and accept what lame brain scheme they come up with to buy more votes so they can keep their jobs.  Clown

Good luck to everyone!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49725 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2006, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Seems the burden lies with separate lotteries and their rules which conform to their state laws. 

I voted yes on this based on their ability to present whatever legal documents are currently required in order to claim a jackpot.

Now, with that question being brought up by current protests, current pending legislation, proposed legislation it seems fitting that states should revise their laws to conform to what residents of those states demand..... since lotteries are controlled by states and their laws.

The point is that the illegals don't have the necessary legal documents in order to claim the prizes at the Lottery Office. Many illegals are living here working off-the-books (pay no taxes) and sending their pay checks back to their families in their Country. In addition they are operating Motor Vehicles here without the benefit of a Drivers License or Automobile Insurance (God helpya if you get in an Auto Accident with an illegal).

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                  Member #26882
                  November 23, 2005
                  1404 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

The Key Word Here is Illegal! I voted No. If they go through the proper steps and become Legal American Citizens the Yes, I think they then should have the right to cash in a lottery win that they purchased with their earned Legal Money LOL. I don't blame them from wanting to be here, I am proud of and Thankful to the Men and Women who have fought to make America what it is......... Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!

twisted's avatar - underground
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #2376
                    September 25, 2003
                    582 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:09 am - IP Logged

If a foreign tourist can buy a lottery ticket and claim the winnings if he wins, why not a illegal immigrant? Atleast the illegal immigrant pays some kind of tax (be it sales, income, etc) compared to foreign tourists who are only here for a very short time. If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place. If they contribute to the pot, they should be able to reap the rewards.

Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3333 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:22 am - IP Logged

If a foreign tourist can buy a lottery ticket and claim the winnings if he wins, why not a illegal immigrant? Atleast the illegal immigrant pays some kind of tax (be it sales, income, etc) compared to foreign tourists who are only here for a very short time. If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place. If they contribute to the pot, they should be able to reap the rewards.

My point entirely .... foreigners can claim jackpots if they produce whatever documents required by state lotteries. 

Good luck to everyone!

anonymous77's avatar - moon
                        Seoul
                        Korea, South
                        Member #21859
                        September 16, 2005
                        346 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:55 am - IP Logged

I Agree! Absolutely!

Especially on this portion of the writing:

"...If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place..."

ånonymous77 - Primarily for fun and entertainment!

Myrtle Beach, SC
                          United States
                          Member #18457
                          July 12, 2005
                          3433 Posts
                          Posted: April 15, 2006, 11:45 am - IP Logged

I have to agree with the others, (key words: "illegal immigrants".) Illegal immigrants should not be able to cash in lottery winnings. If they are legal immigrants, then by all means cash and enjoy. No legal documentation, no cash winnings.

pcnut

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

David Starr Jordan

S.C.'s weekly-indicative random pairs: 05, 12, 13, 16, 18, 23, 34

Enjoy

pcnut

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                            Norfolk , Va
                            United States
                            Member #4541
                            May 2, 2004
                            25097 Posts
                            Posted: April 15, 2006, 11:52 am - IP Logged

This is an interesting poll. Here are my thoughts. No they shouldn't . I'm not sure if when land of the free was said that they were talking about illegals. I came to the US from Scotland when I was very young. My parents immigrated here before I was 6. They had to go through the proccess of waiting for 7 years I think to become American citizens. Myself and my 3 sisters also had to go through the proccess although we were very young. Let those that want to be here like myself do it legally and then they can be free to do as they want. There is alot of views on tv about this and they are talking about all the social services that care for the illegals and how the taxes pay for it. Lottery wins , I havent heard much about but I still say let them go through the proccess of becoming a legal citizen then let them play the lottery.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                              Charlotte NC
                              United States
                              Member #17406
                              June 18, 2005
                              4053 Posts
                              Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

No NoI voted NO.  They should not be able to reap any rewards of living in this country if they are here illegally.  I don't think you should kill them either.LOL

takeemtothebank