Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

illegal immigrants poll

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 3 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

should a person who is here illegally be able to cash in lottery winnings?

yes they should be able to [ 47 ]  [32.19%]
no they should not be able to [ 89 ]  [60.96%]
not sure at this time [ 10 ]  [6.85%]
Total Valid Votes [ 146 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 17 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

"Mrs Coin Toss" says "Ask 'em how many in this discussion who voted No have bought Irish Sweepstakes tickets!"

lol 

Is the Canadian lottery still tax free? I know for a good while the U.S. was the only country that taxed gambling winnings. I remember reading about a couple that hit the Canadian lottery, Unscle Sam had his hand out, and they said, "For this amount of money - millions- when we go to a baseball game we'll listen to Oh Canada!" 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

"she went to interview for several jobs and they wouldnt hire her because she could not speak spanish"

Amen, Brother!  I can relate to her situation. When I first drove to Florida I was on the East Coast and that's what I ran into a lot. I was even asked if I spoke Creole!  (However, this has nothing to do with illegals.)

United States
      Member #23806
      October 16, 2005
      188 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Let me make this as succinct as possible:

Hell No.

I concur.

If they let Illegal immigrants cash in lotto tickets.  They should let Prison inmate play the lottery.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

If it's only the lottery we are talking about then yes they should be able to claim. Either a lottery ticket is a bearer instrument or it's not. Prisoners can get sued after winning, fines can be issued against winners and income tax liabilities apply to non-citizens as well.

As far as what we should do about the immigration problem is a very different answer. 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: April 15, 2006, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

If a foreign tourist can buy a lottery ticket and claim the winnings if he wins, why not a illegal immigrant? Atleast the illegal immigrant pays some kind of tax (be it sales, income, etc) compared to foreign tourists who are only here for a very short time. If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place. If they contribute to the pot, they should be able to reap the rewards.

I Agree! They might be illegal but the fact of the matter is they are HUMANS
          And what does that have to do with anything? This isn't like they were leaving their country because they were subject to some despot whose secret police would torture and kill them and their families. They are not persecuted people. As to them being human, yes, and so is Charles Manson. So was Stalin. So was Mao. Being human has nothing to do with it.  If you want to be a US citizen, there are legal ways of becoming one. If we don't do something about the border problem, we will soon have the entire population of Mexico in this country. According to all reports we already have 12 milllion of them here now illegally.  That is more people than the entire population of Ohio !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
            Member #23806
            October 16, 2005
            188 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2006, 2:19 am - IP Logged

Well Said badger! They also said that in the future, the hispanics will overpopulate Caucasians(which makes 60% of the country).   I also heard in the future that almost the majority of the country will speak Spanish. This worries me alot. We've got to do some about it. I'm not talking just about Hispanics though.. Europeans(especially East Europeans) and Asians(Especially Chinese) too. The biggest problem right now is Mexico alone since they make up about 60% and rising everyday of the Illegal Immigrants.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4529 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2006, 6:47 am - IP Logged

Human -yes.

Here with no social security, drivers license, or other form of legal visa's creates the debate. Many a fugitive comes here for asylum, there are processes' to follow. Do we allow a member of Akida to hide out here, claim a  prize that will no doubt fund terrorist acts? Sorry for the extreme case but the fact is our country does have regulations and laws to protect the citizens and its borders.  I vote NO to the claiming of it.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2006, 1:24 am - IP Logged

As they should not be here in the first place, they should not be allowed to collect prizes that require them to pay taxes, but as to the lower prizes I don't see why not, so long as they win no more maybe than about $599 at any one time or on any one particular ticket.

I am not saying that it is O.K. or that it is not O.K. for them to be here either way, just that they should not be allowed to collect big money prizes at any one time, maybe it should be O.K. for them to get up to $10,000 in any one ticket, as a matter of fact I think that lottery winnings of any ammount whatsoever should be completely tax free as when you buy any lottery tickets you are already paying the taxes,it is really double taxation and not right.

Their money is just as good as yours and mine and also part of the money used to pay for the prizes

If they are allowed to add their money to the pot then they should also be allowed to win at least up to $10,000 more or less at any one time and or on any one ticket and after they get their money send them back to their country(ies), use some of the money to pay for the expense of sending them back, but take away from them no  more than about $2,000.

If they win less than $600 in one ticket then no need to check them out at all, no need for I.D. nor nothing.

In the end no matter who we are and were we are from we are all as one, one world one people under one GOD.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2006, 1:41 am - IP Logged

If a foreign tourist can buy a lottery ticket and claim the winnings if he wins, why not a illegal immigrant? Atleast the illegal immigrant pays some kind of tax (be it sales, income, etc) compared to foreign tourists who are only here for a very short time. If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place. If they contribute to the pot, they should be able to reap the rewards.

A tourist is coming here with proper papers while going through a screening process at the airport. It's called customs. Tourists aren't coming here illegally. Atleast most of them, I hope.

Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2006, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Well Said badger! They also said that in the future, the hispanics will overpopulate Caucasians(which makes 60% of the country).   I also heard in the future that almost the majority of the country will speak Spanish. This worries me alot. We've got to do some about it. I'm not talking just about Hispanics though.. Europeans(especially East Europeans) and Asians(Especially Chinese) too. The biggest problem right now is Mexico alone since they make up about 60% and rising everyday of the Illegal Immigrants.

I have no idea why you are a guest now and I am sorry to see that, but by the way, "Latinos" or as you name them "Hispanics" are also caucasians, perhaps some or many of them not the "Pure" kind, not that it reallly matters any to me either way, as to the language, Spanish is just as good as English, not that I see any need to have more than one language here on the U.S.A., English and or Spanish it does not matter to me either.

As to illegal immigrants, yes, I also see that as a big problem and I am not talking just about Mexicans, but about any and all.

Funny that you don't make mention of Western Europeans, they are just as illegal as any others.

As it might be, good luck to you and to yours.

Fernando.

Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2006, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Uncle Sam takes his taxes out before you get the money so the fact that they are illegal immigrants becomes a moot point when it comes to lottery winnings. If our "Uncle" is getting his share then I don't think "Sam" is going to argue with one third of a 220 mil. jackpot going to the national treasury without any deductions eeked out of it.

Illegal immigrants and lottery winnings are two different issues.

"Illegal immigrants and lottery winnings are two different issues."

I think so too.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2006, 1:53 am - IP Logged

There was a news story several years back about a major lottery winner (think it may have been Powerball) who was an illegal housekeeper from South America, but had someone else claim it on her behalf after she had filed proper application for visa or citizenship.  Hope memory serves that those facts are somewhat correct.

The point is that this person complied with requirements set forth by laws on the books in order to legally claim her prize money.

Great, that's all we need. Another NYU lauyah encouraging  people to come here illegally, and be trillionares.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2006, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I Agree! They might be illegal but the fact of the matter is they are HUMANS

I understand your compassion, but there has to be a limit.

Rules are rules.

It's human to err, but It's devious to sneak into a country illegally. 

I fully understand the frustration of being so desperate as to break a law without thinking about the consequences, only for survival sake. But at the end, there will be consequences to every action, good or bad.

They are human, but they cannot demand rights with an illegal status.

Try going to another country and demanding things left to right, while Illegal. You'd either be in jail, or dead. Especially in Mexico,or Iran.

In Iran, where I was born, If you are caught stealing, your hand is cut off, legal or Illegal.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2006, 2:34 am - IP Logged

You know, this would be one heck of a court case.

"Oh, I see, you'll take my money and let me buy a ticket, I just can't cash it in if it wins."

[can of worms!] 

The Illegals buying tickets in the first place should have the capacity to realize the nightmare in claiming it, if he or she won.

The reason the person is able to buy a ticket, and have the officials gladly keep the money without screening the person's legal status is because the assumption is made by the authorities that common sense will always prevail. And that common sense is described in my first paragraph above.

So, the argument that officials are taking your money but won't pay up, is an erroneous assumption In my opinion.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2006, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Uncle Sam takes his taxes out before you get the money so the fact that they are illegal immigrants becomes a moot point when it comes to lottery winnings. If our "Uncle" is getting his share then I don't think "Sam" is going to argue with one third of a 220 mil. jackpot going to the national treasury without any deductions eeked out of it.

Illegal immigrants and lottery winnings are two different issues.

I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam is going to get the taxes no matter what. He'd rather get the money from a citizen, than from someone illegal. And again, people in high political status, and most of the country don't want to encourage a winfall situation associated with breaking the law.

And if the Government doesen't care either, then we're in deep silk.

Mark my words. There will be a second Civil War, and then a revolution, soon, if the laxes are implemented.