Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

illegal immigrants poll

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 2 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

should a person who is here illegally be able to cash in lottery winnings?

yes they should be able to [ 47 ]  [32.19%]
no they should not be able to [ 89 ]  [60.96%]
not sure at this time [ 10 ]  [6.85%]
Total Valid Votes [ 146 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 17 ]  
konane's avatar - wallace
Atlanta, GA
United States
Member #1265
March 13, 2003
3333 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

There was a news story several years back about a major lottery winner (think it may have been Powerball) who was an illegal housekeeper from South America, but had someone else claim it on her behalf after she had filed proper application for visa or citizenship.  Hope memory serves that those facts are somewhat correct.

The point is that this person complied with requirements set forth by laws on the books in order to legally claim her prize money.

Good luck to everyone!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
    FEMA Region V Camp #21
    United States
    Member #520
    July 27, 2002
    5699 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

In the State of IL you HAVE to have legal documentation of your Social Security number to claim a prize over $600. I'm assuming illegal aliens do not have legal S.S. numbers and therefore would not be able to collect a lottery win in this state.

If other states don't do this, they should start.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5121 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

If a foreign tourist can buy a lottery ticket and claim the winnings if he wins, why not a illegal immigrant? Atleast the illegal immigrant pays some kind of tax (be it sales, income, etc) compared to foreign tourists who are only here for a very short time. If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place. If they contribute to the pot, they should be able to reap the rewards.

My point entirely .... foreigners can claim jackpots if they produce whatever documents required by state lotteries. 

The Poll ask to vote on illegalssssssssssss.......collecting on wins

of lottery games in this country................"I voted Noooooo"!!!!

If you travel from the US to another country,...you must first  get

your passport and prove a few things before you LEAVE for that.... country

listed in your travel documents...................................RIGHT ?????????????

If you have a correct passport or correct documents, then I think you can

play in any lottery you travel too and COLLECT a win on any prizes offered.

If they find your papers illegal...."Your tail goes to JAL"

Does anyone know of a country You

Can walk into Illegal..but, the USA?

PSYKOMO 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31355 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

If a foreign tourist can buy a lottery ticket and claim the winnings if he wins, why not a illegal immigrant? Atleast the illegal immigrant pays some kind of tax (be it sales, income, etc) compared to foreign tourists who are only here for a very short time. If you dont want illegal immigrants to claim their winnings, dont allow them to play in the first place. If they contribute to the pot, they should be able to reap the rewards.

My point entirely .... foreigners can claim jackpots if they produce whatever documents required by state lotteries. 

listed in your travel documents...................................RIGHT ?????????????

PSYKOMO 

good point

love to nibble those micey feet.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

thanks everyone.looks like the majority of those who have voted so far have voted NO!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: April 15, 2006, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

PSYKOMO 

good point made!!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: April 15, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

They are not "undocumented immigrants" as some of the PTB want us to look at them as....they are illegal immigrants. 

Constitutional rights are reserved for citizens of the USA.  You want to have those rights, become a citizen. Until you are, you do not have the rights of a citizen under our constitution. This is all very clear, yet some elements of our society seem to want to spin the whole thing into something that suits their agenda.

They underestimate the overall intelligence of the American public.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5121 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2006, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

They are not "undocumented immigrants" as some of the PTB want us to look at them as....they are illegal immigrants. 

Constitutional rights are reserved for citizens of the USA.  You want to have those rights, become a citizen. Until you are, you do not have the rights of a citizen under our constitution. This is all very clear, yet some elements of our society seem to want to spin the whole thing into something that suits their agenda.

They underestimate the overall intelligence of the American public.

"RIGHT"...............Badger:

We need to send your post too..........those "CLOWNS" in DC!

Hope they have "fun" during their vacation at the....

........."BUNNY  RANCH"................

Happy ethanol.....hope we don't OFINN anyone!!!!!!!

PSYKOMO 

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                  Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2006, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure on this one.  On one hand, they bought the ticket, which would make them the winner.  On the other hand, they are here illegally, and some may not be paying taxes.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

chevelle's avatar - Lottery-005.jpg

Bahamas
                    Member #4401
                    April 21, 2004
                    2906 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2006, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! They might be illegal but the fact of the matter is they are HUMANS
                      lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
                      mississippi
                      United States
                      Member #34478
                      March 3, 2006
                      5903 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2006, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

This debate right now on illegal immigrants is just about as hot as any debate in History..ie. civil rights, abortion..just to name a few...a person, just by opening his mouth and voicing his/her opinion on this topic, will for sure step on someones toes and be applauded by others for sharing the same ideas..Since this is a public forum where one can post his/her opinon on relative matters of the time, I would have to vote NO myself.  I believe you must be here legally to collect anything..and what is this that they dont have to pay any taxes..what retard gave them that right?..Hell we live here and have to pay taxes..why should someone else get to live here and enjoy this country and not have to pay any taxes and get all the help they need or want for free?.. I find this very distubing and leaves me to question the intelligence of those who thought that one up.  I seriously doubt though, that the states that dont have the rule in place already, no legal documentation=no you cant collect any money, I doubt they will change the rules because there are so many of them over here now..all of the lotteries would take a big hit. Especially like California, Florida, Texas, New York where they have large immigrant populations anyway I think?  That is why you see so many products now that is sold in english and spanish because there are so many here now and last I heard the hispanic population is suppose to be the number one  minority by the year 2020 if memory serves me correctly. So this issue of them being over here is driven by economics now..what pisses me off is that they dont seem to want to learn English..HELLO..THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..we speak ENGLISH HERE..learn it or leave..or..Hablamos english aqui..that is what I want to say to all of them when I see them in public..I feel like they are failing to assimilate into our country by retaining their language and not learning English.. a good example..I have a friend who is a teacher..her husband was stationed at an airforce base in south florida..she went to interview for several jobs and they wouldnt hire her because she could not speak spanish..like I said they should learn english if they want to live here not us having to learn spanish because they are here!!!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I can't see going to another country illegally (as someone stated already, what country but the Us can you do that?) but I can see hitting six of six on a lotto and not being able to cash it as one of the ultimate frustrations you could ever experience.

When I got back from a second tour in Korea the first person I spoke with was a cab driver at the San Francisco airport.  He showed me tickets for the Irish Sweepstakes and wanted to know how man I wanted to buy. (Illegal to buy or play in the US, but if you hit you owe the taxes on the winnings.)

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

I think this is a non-issue.  At first I was going to say that as long as they pay taxes, it doesn't matter. Living in Florida I definitely feel the effects of immigration, although everyone I know is working and living here legally. However, if someone is an illegal alien without a work visa or green card, he would probably work out something with a relative who has proper documentation. I don't think anyone would take the chance of being exposed if he's breaking the law in the first place. Therefore, passing a law isn't going to keep illegals from playing. I hope not! Then the Florida jackpot would probably not be $64 million tonight. LOL  Seriously, lots of people in Miami win who are not U.S. citizens but have work visas or green cards. How do we even know they bought the ticket in the first place?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

You know, this would be one heck of a court case.

"Oh, I see, you'll take my money and let me buy a ticket, I just can't cash it in if it wins."

[can of worms!] 

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: April 15, 2006, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Uncle Sam takes his taxes out before you get the money so the fact that they are illegal immigrants becomes a moot point when it comes to lottery winnings. If our "Uncle" is getting his share then I don't think "Sam" is going to argue with one third of a 220 mil. jackpot going to the national treasury without any deductions eeked out of it.

Illegal immigrants and lottery winnings are two different issues.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).