Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

illegal immigrants poll

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 7 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

should a person who is here illegally be able to cash in lottery winnings?

yes they should be able to [ 47 ]  [32.19%]
no they should not be able to [ 89 ]  [60.96%]
not sure at this time [ 10 ]  [6.85%]
Total Valid Votes [ 146 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 17 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: May 1, 2006, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

I knew it!!!  It's all my fault. Now you're gonna hire a NYU lawyer and sue me for everything  I don't have....LOL

My dad divorced only because of her excessive drinking, on stage and off. All the time.

Please don't tell me you are also an alchoholic, because my mom drank.....LOL

konane's avatar - wallace
    Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3333 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2006, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Hey Rip, at least your ancestors were wealthy enough to have owned something.  On the other side of the family some of mine were sharecroppers.  ROFL 

Hey, but don't forget the baggage of karma we bring with us from lifetime to lifetime to work on until it's worked out and we learn our lesson and move on to the next one ad infinitum.  Big Grin Angel 

However that's the beauty America where it provides people the opportunity, not guarantee, to improve their lot in life.

Back to the original poll before Pyskomo has a hemorrhage, it would probably be a good idea to check rules at your individual state's lotteries to see what those rules require to claim the jackpot.  If they're not to your liking contact your state legislators and demand changes.  Seems states are going to take up many aspects of the immigration issue in the coming months along with Washington.

Good luck to everyone!

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: May 1, 2006, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Back to the original poll before Pyskomo has a hemorrhage

ROFL

LOL...I think he already did.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Back to the issue at hand.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME
        Apologists for illegal immigration like to paint it as a victimless crime.  But in fact, illegal immigration causes substantial harm to American citizens and legal immigrants, particularly those in the most vulnerable sectors of our population--the poor, minorities, and children.

Illegal immigration causes an enormous drain on public funds.  The seminal study of the costs of immigration by the National Academy of Sciences found that the taxes paid by immigrants do not cover the cost of services received by them. We cannot provide high quality education, health care, and retirement security for our own people if we continue to bring in endless numbers of poor, unskilled immigrants. 

Additionally, job competition by waves of illegal immigrants willing to work at substandard wages and working conditions depresses the wages of American workers, hitting hardest at minority workers and those without high school degrees. Ý

Illegal immigration also contributes to the dramatic population growth overwhelming communities across America--crowding school classrooms, consuming already limited affordable housing, and straining precious natural resources like water, energy, and forestland.

Yes, they should be able to legally claim the Jackpot, and then turn around, donating it to a healthcare program for citizens abroad. Great Idea!

I change my vote. I'm all for it......

If my dad can do it legally.......everyone else can too.

And he didn't run away from Beverly Hills, he ran from a place that is about to get their uranium enrichment plants all blown up. Iran. Awww    he ran alright.....LOL

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Hey Rip, at least your ancestors were wealthy enough to have owned something.  On the other side of the family some of mine were sharecroppers.  ROFL 

Hey, but don't forget the baggage of karma we bring with us from lifetime to lifetime to work on until it's worked out and we learn our lesson and move on to the next one ad infinitum.  Big Grin Angel 

However that's the beauty America where it provides people the opportunity, not guarantee, to improve their lot in life.

Back to the original poll before Pyskomo has a hemorrhage, it would probably be a good idea to check rules at your individual state's lotteries to see what those rules require to claim the jackpot.  If they're not to your liking contact your state legislators and demand changes.  Seems states are going to take up many aspects of the immigration issue in the coming months along with Washington.

Likely you had some ancestor back there somewhere had something. 

Most of us have some of those, as some of mine did at that point in history.  While others were nearer to being like those of yours you prefer to remember for the sake of this conversation.  But ancestry goes back a long way, covers just about everything humans can do to one another.

I feel relatively confident I have cannibals in my ancestery.  I feel no more guilt about it than I do about those who were slaveholders.

"Hey, but don't forget the baggage of karma we bring with us from lifetime to lifetime to work on until it's worked out and we learn our lesson and move on to the next one ad infinitum. "

That's one thing I never forget.  It's what keeps me poking around in the darkness trying to find just the right path through this one.  Remind yourself.  I don't need reminding.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Back to the issue at hand.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME
            Apologists for illegal immigration like to paint it as a victimless crime.  But in fact, illegal immigration causes substantial harm to American citizens and legal immigrants, particularly those in the most vulnerable sectors of our population--the poor, minorities, and children.

Illegal immigration causes an enormous drain on public funds.  The seminal study of the costs of immigration by the National Academy of Sciences found that the taxes paid by immigrants do not cover the cost of services received by them. We cannot provide high quality education, health care, and retirement security for our own people if we continue to bring in endless numbers of poor, unskilled immigrants. 

Additionally, job competition by waves of illegal immigrants willing to work at substandard wages and working conditions depresses the wages of American workers, hitting hardest at minority workers and those without high school degrees. Ý

Illegal immigration also contributes to the dramatic population growth overwhelming communities across America--crowding school classrooms, consuming already limited affordable housing, and straining precious natural resources like water, energy, and forestland.

Yes, they should be able to legally claim the Jackpot, and then turn around, donating it to a healthcare program for citizens abroad. Great Idea!

I change my vote. I'm all for it......

If my dad can do it legally.......everyone else can too.

And he didn't run away from Beverly Hills, he ran from a place that is about to get their nuclear enrichment plants all blown up. Iran. Awww    he ran alright.....LOL

Good thing it ain't a victimless crime or we'd lock them up in the penitentiary for several years instead of just sending them home. 

Whooooaaah.  Then we'd have to further shorten the sentences on crimes with victims.

Thanks for pointing it out. 

So long as illegal immigration remains a crime with victims there's no danger of them doing a lot of jail time, costing us loads of money.  They'll be back crossing the borders coming north in no time, same's criminals with victims will be back on the streets mugging, raping, killing and spitting on sidewalks soon as they're out of the slammer to make room for victimless criminals on long mandatory sentences.

Except cop killers, I should say to be fair.  There's a crime with victims that gets serious attention.  But mostly that's not done by illegal aliens, so there's no double-jeapordy involved.

In fact, if those illegal aliens would just kill babies or women or hold up gas stations, we could save ourselves the trouble of sending them back to Mexico, have them back on the streets in just about the same time as they'll be having to re-cross the border.

Jack

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

The solution's too simple to justify the ten pages of comments.

Don't let illegal aliens claim lottery jackpots.

Make them hire someone who's here legally to claim it for them.

If aliens were as good at winning jackpots as they are at giving a day of work for a day of pay, I'd go into the business of making the claims for them.  No more than 10 percent fee after all taxes.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

We're all victims.

I know one guy that I work with, who will complain about everything. Don't get me wrong, I complain alot also, but he will complain about every liitle thing that happens to come along.. No exaggeration at all. Literally.

He is the type of person, that if he won a million dollars, would complain that it came in denominations of 20 and not 100 dollar bills.

Really.....

I really shouldn't speak for everyone, but we are all victims, in one way or another, so let's get over it. My ex-boss got over it when I quit. It just takes some time......LOL

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

If aliens were as good at winning jackpots as they are at giving a day of work for a day of pay, I'd go into the business of making the claims for them.  No more than 10 percent fee after all taxes.

Jack

Does that also apply to Aliens from outer space?

I'm sure they have a dosier/resume somewhere in the govt. files. But not to the general public.

What's the currency conversion rate for space alien currency?

Atlanta, GA
                    United States
                    Member #1265
                    March 13, 2003
                    3333 Posts
                    Posted: May 1, 2006, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

While others were nearer to being like those of yours you prefer to remember for the sake of this conversation.  But ancestry goes back a long way, covers just about everything humans can do to one another."

That's as far back as I'm able to trace on that side of the family .... and which were no doubt immigrants who were also hard working with their hands like the other side of the family I mentioned earlier who were by the way peasants in their native country before immigrating.  Not a matter of conveninece in this discussion, a matter of fact.

"That's one thing I never forget.  It's what keeps me poking around in the darkness trying to find just the right path through this one.  Remind yourself.  I don't need reminding."

I too am reminded of that every waking hour in which I have chosen to walk the walk, talk the talk according to how I choose to live my life by dealing with reality of today, rather than trying to emulate a nirvana alluded to in the past that can not be reproduced today except in the mind of dreamers.  For every person there is a path that person has to decide upon and just do it.

Good luck to everyone!

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: May 1, 2006, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Jack

I'm sure they have a dosier/resume somewhere in the govt. files. But not to the general public.

You'll have to ask one or several of the other posters to get a clarification on that.

J

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: May 1, 2006, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

While others were nearer to being like those of yours you prefer to remember for the sake of this conversation.  But ancestry goes back a long way, covers just about everything humans can do to one another."

That's as far back as I'm able to trace on that side of the family .... and which were no doubt immigrants who were also hard working with their hands like the other side of the family I mentioned earlier who were by the way peasants in their native country before immigrating.  Not a matter of conveninece in this discussion, a matter of fact.

"That's one thing I never forget.  It's what keeps me poking around in the darkness trying to find just the right path through this one.  Remind yourself.  I don't need reminding."

I too am reminded of that every waking hour in which I have chosen to walk the walk, talk the talk according to how I choose to live my life by dealing with reality of today, rather than trying to emulate a nirvana alluded to in the past that can not be reproduced today except in the mind of dreamers.  For every person there is a path that person has to decide upon and just do it.

It's all right.  I doubt anyone on LP will feel superior because the tiny set of dead people in your ancestry you know something about worked with their hands and didn't have a lot.

More likely they'll just read your blog and decide from that who and what you are.

People don't pay a lot of attention to history, as I gather you also don't.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: May 1, 2006, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Jack

You'll have to ask one or several of the other posters to get a clarification on that.

J

You mean like this one?

alien

Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #1265
                            March 13, 2003
                            3333 Posts
                            Posted: May 1, 2006, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

It's all right.  I doubt anyone on LP will feel superior because the tiny set of dead people in your ancestry you know something about worked with their hands and didn't have a lot.

More likely they'll just read your blog and decide from that who and what you are.

People don't pay a lot of attention to history, as I gather you also don't.

Jack

Conversely some people are so wrapped up in history they stay lost in what was but can be no more because times have changed.

As far as opinions formed about me, as I've said to others before life is not a popularity contest so people hold whatever opinion they choose. 

I'm honored to have the amount of blog hits there have been for a 95% political, non-personal blog.  Apparently people like to learn something new or reinforce an already formed opinon ...... and I do keep personal observations at a bare minimum because I've never considered myself to be very interesting. 

Good luck to everyone!

Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: May 1, 2006, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Jack

J

You mean like this one?

alien

ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL 

Good luck to everyone!