Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Paranoid or Prudent?

Topic closed. 90 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Westerose
Canada
Member #52915
June 15, 2007
189 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2007, 5:09 am - IP Logged

here in Canada it always seems the people in Ontario or Quebec win instead of where I am at in Alberta...... however he did have the largest Canadian Lottery win in Alberta a couple years back.... and the reason for more winners in Ontario and Quebec is a matter of odds ...... more people there.....

However on another level I prefer to when I can buy my Lottery Tickets in Edmonton instead of the rural community we live in with it's one gas station where everyone would know someone won here....  although it really would matter cos that gas station is in a tourist area by a lake and well the people of the lake  have far more cash in some cases that any winner of a canadian lottery thus far lol and some of those people still play it when it gets big.... yep.... so yeah people would be like oh you won the lottery for about a week or 2 until something else happened then forget about it.. if that.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49725 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2007, 5:38 am - IP Logged

"Trust No One!"

-The X-Files

Not Even Yourself!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2007, 6:34 am - IP Logged

i've had time to think so i guess my answer to your question is i'm paranoid,Hiding Behind Computer

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2007, 8:01 am - IP Logged

Todd

Back a page you said:

How exactly does a lottery official "stay ahead" of a system?  Are you saying that they go into the back room and make the games more random?  Like spinning the balls around the drum a few extra times? 

The reason I don't subscribe to these conspiracy theories is they never really give any specifics about how a lottery official would "cheat" (which in itself would be pretty stupid of them, as they would go to jail once caught.)

I'm not thinking anything at all along those lines. I'm thinking it's more like this - let's say someone here on LP said something like:

"Look, I give you this. I'm going to show you how to play Pick 3 for 50 cents and $1 box, straight, and striaght box and you'll never play more than $10 a day and will collect at least $40 on most days. It took me years to develop thos, yada yada yada........"

If indeed it worked (big if, sure, but...) instead of "cheating" that particular game would probably not be available any longer. 

There's no doubt in my mind that they proabably have people in math deaprtments in some universities trying to do exactly that, by the way - "Here's the game- see if you can beat it".

When you think about it, it's pretty amazing that these games were created before computers and sopftware programs, etc...and nothuing yet has "cracked the code".

Heck, look at dice, roulette, cards, and sports betting.  

I'm also pretty sure that lottery people are also here from a marketing standpoint, too.  

I've heard that one a thousand time too.  "They'll get rid of the game if we talk about how we beat it."  They'll get rid of Pick 3 or Pick 4??  Do you honestly believe that?  They are the staple of the lottery industry.

All the theorizing about "the mysterious lottery people" snooping around to see what systems people are using so they can defeat them is pure fantasy.  I guess you can call that my opinion, but I've also had enough experience dealing with the lotteries to feel that I am on solid footing.

If the lotteries look at a system posted, I'm sure they do so with inquisitive interest, not some nefarious plot to stop someone.  If you operatred a lottery, wouldn't you personally want to go around seeing what people were saying about it?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
          Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
          Member #38062
          April 23, 2006
          12579 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2007, 9:00 am - IP Logged

I've heard that one a thousand time too.  "They'll get rid of the game if we talk about how we beat it."  They'll get rid of Pick 3 or Pick 4??  Do you honestly believe that?  They are the staple of the lottery industry.

All the theorizing about "the mysterious lottery people" snooping around to see what systems people are using so they can defeat them is pure fantasy.  I guess you can call that my opinion, but I've also had enough experience dealing with the lotteries to feel that I am on solid footing.

If the lotteries look at a system posted, I'm sure they do so with inquisitive interest, not some nefarious plot to stop someone.  If you operatred a lottery, wouldn't you personally want to go around seeing what people were saying about it?

Todd, I'm glad u replied as I was feeling very paranoid about posting my numbers lately & after reading your opinion, I feel much better & not paranoid anymore. I'm sure others r feeling the same. Just wanted to say thank u.

United States
            Member #53080
            June 23, 2007
            26 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2007, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone this is Rubblehead. As the name suggest I am not very smart.

Anyhow I am brand new and am reading all the post here. And came across this one.

I will throw my two sence in the dish see what its worth here.

No one ever checks the lottery out anyway right? Do they? How would we know if they were cheating.

I dont think they are a fraid of jail at all! They probably run the jail, and the govenor would call the shots on that one anyways right?

Big deal, Jail! Big stinking deal, Paris did it they are stronger than her!

So I dont think they are afraid of jail!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              11929 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2007, 9:17 am - IP Logged

I am not as paranoid about lottery officials on this site.  If I sell Real Estate I want to see how my business is doing, I check the Market, I'll check and see what the public is saying.  If I sell scratch offs,  I would come into to scratch off games and see what's popular, whats working, what are the big complaints.....

I would use this site to see what the public is saying....see what would make it better....

I think that there are to many people using to many different systems, covering to many numbers, especially in P-3 & p-4 for me to try to beat (or cheat) them all....

I've seen people get unusally hot, and then vrery cold 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                Member #53080
                June 23, 2007
                26 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2007, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I dont think its about getting the numbers as much as figuring out how the software works that runs the lottery.

I was talking to this guy the other day who was a hacker and he said, his college had invented a password encription program where they could figure out someones password easier by knowing their last name.

It turns out if you know a persons last name you can figure out how they think and then their password alot easier. 

He said people with the same last name think along the same mental patterns of thinking.

They found that the software was able to attain every 3rd password without a problem.

It was quite an awakening he told me.

In otherwords you might have a better chance at figuring out the lottery numbers if you knew the last name of the person who created the software program that runs the lottery.

Anyhow thats what he told me.

United States
                  Member #51688
                  April 19, 2007
                  200 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2007, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

xploring  I  agree  when  you  say  some  systems  go  great  for  a  while  then  dry  up ;

I'ts  like  the  song " I've  been  searching" - (gleen  Jones) .

We  all  search  for  a  winner within  ourselves  and the  so  called  system  is  a  method  used  to  produce  a  few  bucks  in  our  pockets ;

The  New York  lottery  does keep  track  of  numbers  played ,I  see  no  reason  why  they  would  not monitor  this  site  or  any  web  page  to  follow those  numbers  they  know  will  either  have  an  historical  following  or  come  with  regularity on a  specific  date or  when  the  lottery  knows  a tripple  would  cost  them  a  huge  payout;

for instance  if  999  was  due  from  the  past  and  ticket  counters  show  the  number  reached  25 million in  potential 

payout  and  on  the  same  night  1234  was  also  sold  out'

( any  potentital   payout  25million  or  more  is  considered  sold  out )

in  New York  on  any-givenday  up  to  47  numbers  or  more  could  be  sold  out ......player  tracking  is  the norm  not  the  exception ;  I  put  nothing  past  the  ny  officials  there  there  to  make  money  and  give  back  the  smalest   amount  they  can  .....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2007, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

If one was paranoid about discussing publicly anything about picking lottery numbers then one would be prudent by not posting at LP.  People post at LP because they have something to say and they want others to to read it, to say other wise is nonsense.

Lotteries plan to payout a certain amount of their sales as prizes to attract more players.  Both games that don't attract players and games that don't make a profit are losers for the states so they are always looking for a balance between the two.  They do that by running surveys on their websites to see what their customers think, checking what's working in other states and checking lottery forums such as LP to read what players are writing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2007, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I would like to ask a question about one thing you said:

Then I read a disturbing post suggesting that Lottery offivcials post as members on forums like these and  basically try to stay ahead of any systems that appears to generate consistent wins.

How exactly does a lottery official "stay ahead" of a system?  Are you saying that they go into the back room and make the games more random?  Like spinning the balls around the drum a few extra times? 

The reason I don't subscribe to these conspiracy theories is they never really give any specifics about how a lottery official would "cheat" (which in itself would be pretty stupid of them, as they would go to jail once caught.)

The only theories that make sense are when people talk about hacking into a computerized drawing system, which I think would be difficult, but not impossible.  But blanket statements in which people subscribe to theories of lottery officials monitoring the forums to learn about systems goes beyond my credibility level.

Todd, if they wanted to, they could 'monitor' all they want, but the bottom line is, so far, I have not seen anyone show any 100% golden across-the-board way of picking ALL of the numbers for any lottery, just ideas or theories to point someone in a direction.

If anyone had a way of really cracking it, then that person would win it repeatedly, don't you think ? 

And beyond that, if 'Bob' said 1-2-3-4-5-6 was going to hit, and 'Chuck says 7-8-9-10-11-12 was going to hit, and 'Carol' said 13-14-15-16-17-18 was going to hit, my point is: how on earth does a Lottery official keep tabs on every prediction there is - and not just those that are posted here, but all the other 'Lottery' websites as well ?   They can't.

I have a bunch of theories and 'noticings', and one of those is that it's random: I use some part of my system(s) to pick some numbers, but for other numbers, you really are better off using a dart board or simply 'guessing', because it always seems 2 numbers hit from out of nowhere, that do not fit any of my profiles or theories. 

You are either going to hit it (1), or not (146 million). 

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7309 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

When initially came to LP I was excited. I dove in and started posting all my (sometimes) crazy theories until I learned from the real pros here and started being more measured and judicious in my contributions. I was still quick wqith my observations for winnings as is everyone else.

Then I read a disturbing post suggesting that Lottery offivcials post as members on forums like these and  basically try to stay ahead of any systems that appears to generate consistent wins.

To be frank it makes sense to me and so I became paranoid. I still post results of my systems but i just feel paranoid about postings some secrets especially when it involves a lot of work and I see consistent results. Other good observations which I think cannot be thwarted --those I will still be open about.

Am I being too paranoid or just being prudent? 

e.g. I used to have a very good system for winning pairs in the pick3--almost every other day I hit the pairs -front or back , and in some cases the pairs pointed me to straight hits. 

Since posting a lot about the power of pairs--the pair tree dried up. For more than 9 months a system that helped me to predict winning pairs every other day has not produced a single win. How can i not be paranoid?

Long before the states got involved in the lottery there was a numbers game and when they began the Pick-3s, the people booking the numbers game used the state drawn number and never missed a beat. As players we don't think in terms like volume and house edge but when the house edge is 50% it's almost a no lose situation for the bookies.

With Pick-6 lottos, Powerball, and Mega Millions, it's a known fact more people play, more money is spent by the regular players, and the volume goes up when the jackpots are higher. And figures from when Mega Millions had a $370 jackpot proved it. If anything the lottery men in black should be encouraging winning systems for their pari-mutual games.

There is one thing the lottery people could fix to make the lotto games more difficult to win and that is how they distribute QPs. They don't have to sell the players every possible combination even when the amount of sales is higher than the total combinations. But even then it's just as likely one of the combinations they did sell will be drawn.

"Am I being too paranoid or just being prudent? e.g. I used to have a very good system for winning pairs in the pick3--almost every other day I hit the pairs -front or back , and in some cases the pairs pointed me to straight hits."

But look at it from the house point of view; the next draw will be random, there are 1000 possible combinations and the house is only paying out 50 cents on the dollar. From their perception, how could anybody create a system where they would have to pay out more than they take in?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: June 30, 2007, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

irondoor827 writes:  The  New York  lottery  does keep  track  of  numbers  played ,I  see  no  reason  why  they  would  not monitor  this  site  or  any  web  page  to  follow those  numbers  they  know  will  either  have  an  historical  following  or  come  with  regularity on a  specific  date or  when  the  lottery  knows  a tripple  would  cost  them  a  huge  payout;

I usually like to respond to someone who quotes or addresses me in a post, but I think Guesser answered this for me.  If the people on LP posted predictions every day that were actually played with real money and produced multiple winners, that would be different.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19825 Posts
                            Posted: June 30, 2007, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

"If the people on LP posted predictions every day that were actually played with real money and produced multiple winners, that would be different."

If LP predictors posted predictions that produced winners every day somebody would be playing them using real money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5120 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2007, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

@ Fibonacci: You are being absolutely prudent.

With many of the states either doing computer drawings or "pre/post tests", there is no reason to believe, with so much money involved, that if an outside system showed high corelation with the official results, that no changes whatsoever would be made to the number selection process.

Anyone who would suggest otherwise would also have you believe

• there is no such thing as insider trading in the stock market (just ask Martha :-)).
                              • you won't get banned from certain casinos if you do "too well" at the table games (not cheating).
                              • special interest groups (industries) don't try to influence the laws written by Congress in their own favor.

Just remember, for the "system" to work, the majority (of the investors, players, or citizens) MUST be made wrong; especially if there is a buck to be made.

time*treat:

PSYKOMO must agree with U 100%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

but,..................Fibonacci::::::::::::

HIT the subject of LIFE & the LOTTERY on the "HEAD" don't u thinK?

When pur PSYKOMO got to LP and made a few post few years back

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

all knew he (me)  was .............KRAZY.Hurray!!!! Puke<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

whatchahuuuutonkinboutuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUkrazy>>>>>>>