Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 9:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it was a million dollar winner?

Topic closed. 82 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
Member #76986
July 10, 2009
8068 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2009, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

United States
    Member #54390
    August 17, 2007
    313 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2009, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Only stupid people would give lottery ticket as gifts. 

This girl that I knew gave her friend a $2 scratch.  It ended up being a $75 winner. She got mad and depressed because of it.

It's the dumbest present anyone can give. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2009, 1:39 am - IP Logged

Wow...

Well, I'm not stupid and I have given scratch-off tickets as gifts. Roll Eyes Not all of us get green with envy, when we give a ticket to someone and they win a prize. Some of us are actually happy, when the person wins something on their ticket.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10389 Posts
        Posted: November 22, 2009, 1:44 am - IP Logged

That's the "rub" with giving scratchers as gifts, if it wins a large amount, it can cause chaos.

If lottery tickets are given as gifts, it's better to play a number game and play two tickets, one for them and one for yourself.

Or go with the dollar scratchers with a $200 or so max prize.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
          Miami, FLA
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          678 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2009, 2:23 am - IP Logged

The answers given so far are very disturbing. A gift, by its very nature is an expression of good will and love (not romantic). If you're the type of person that would get upset by that then you shouldn't be giving anybody anything to begin with. That's the type of person who makes sure they're getting a gift before they give one. It's not genuine.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3315 Posts
            Posted: November 22, 2009, 5:06 am - IP Logged

yeah i have given lotto tickets as presents. infact i have a comp , on anotheer website im going to give a bunch of quick picks as the prize for xmas.

once you give something away , u give up all claims to it.  i know its tempting fate , but then i try tempting fate with  giving me a lotto win every week, now it is tempting fate to hand over a winner i bought for someone else.

Im interested in seeing how i react if they ever do win. I hope im big enough to be happy for them.  really all i lose is the $10 i spend on quick picks. and that is a small amount to make someones xmas. the bigger the win, the happier their xmas, it still only cost me $10.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Roslindale, MA
              United States
              Member #5377
              July 1, 2004
              135 Posts
              Posted: November 22, 2009, 7:23 am - IP Logged

The answers given so far are very disturbing. A gift, by its very nature is an expression of good will and love (not romantic). If you're the type of person that would get upset by that then you shouldn't be giving anybody anything to begin with. That's the type of person who makes sure they're getting a gift before they give one. It's not genuine.

I Agree!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23346 Posts
                Posted: November 22, 2009, 8:01 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure why anyone would be sad or depressed if a lottery ticket gift they gave was a winner.  Most people give gifts to people they care about, and for me, it would make me very happy to see someone I care about get a financial bump.

If it would really tear you up to see a lottery ticket gift be a winner, then just give it to your spouse as a gift.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                  Midlands, SC
                  United States
                  Member #69698
                  January 14, 2009
                  303 Posts
                  Posted: November 22, 2009, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Wow...I give scratch off's as gifts all the time.  Am thinking of giving a powerball quick pick to all of my co-workers for Christmas....that would be 15.00 total for me....which is cheaper than spending 5-10 bucks a piece on each of them. 

Plus, I would really love it if one of them hits and they would be tickled pink since most of them won't "waste" a dollar on the lottery and think I'm foolish to play each week.  I would be very happy if they won!!!  That's the purpose of giving...I'm happy when anyone wins....it just reminds me that anything is possible!

If you're gonna be jealous over it, then simply don't give one away.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Hey Nino,
                    ouch ouch ouch,
                    I was trying to find a truly honest response to the original question.  You're right, if you get upset that one of your lottery gifts won a million was given to someone then you shouldn't give  it as a present.  But then  you wouldnt really want to give a LOSING ticket to someone either.

So I think I will be honest with my LP family and its truly genuine.  I know most of you will get me over this one but here goes... IN ALL HONESTY after finding out that my gift is a million dollar winner for my friend  I would hope ( but not ask directly) that they give me a "reward" from it.  even if it were just a small token that would be okay.  If not,  I wouldnt stop speaking to them directly  but  I would probably ALLOW my friendship with them to dwindle down to non existance.

Yes folks I know its a hard and coldblooded reaction but it is the truth.   But in yet another defense of myself,  If they won a million on their own merrits, I'd  simply be happy for them and not EXPECT anything.  especially since when I win  i plan on telling noone and help out my friends  anonymously.  Not only that,  I give xmas and birthday gifts ALL the time JUST BECAUSE.  My only selfish reward is seeing the looks on their faces because they never expect it.

I love  morally thought provoking questions  WAY to GO!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      51008 Posts
                      Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

I wouldn't give a Lottery Ticket as a Gift!

Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give.

Lottery Tickets make poor gifts because a vast majority of them lose.

After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing lottery ticket.

If the ticket wins a hundred million dollars: The giver will feel bad at the receiver's good fortune, this will lead to animosity between the two of them. The giver will imply that he or she deserves a cut of the winnings, and the relationship will be downhill from there.

What makes matters worse is the false hope of wealth that a lottery ticket delivers. When a person holds one in their hands, they think about how their life will change if it wins. Visions of mansions, sports cars, and early retirement dance in their heads when faced with the prospect of instant riches. In the blink of an eye: The hope is dashed agaist the rocks of reality and statistics when they discover it's a Loser. This process takes the receiver of a lottery ticket gift through the roller coaster of great hope and great disappointment, and chances are good that the receiver will like the giver a little bit less when the ride is over.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                        Midlands, SC
                        United States
                        Member #69698
                        January 14, 2009
                        303 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't give a Lottery Ticket as a Gift!

Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give.

Lottery Tickets make poor gifts because a vast majority of them lose.

After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing lottery ticket.

If the ticket wins a hundred million dollars: The giver will feel bad at the receiver's good fortune, this will lead to animosity between the two of them. The giver will imply that he or she deserves a cut of the winnings, and the relationship will be downhill from there.

What makes matters worse is the false hope of wealth that a lottery ticket delivers. When a person holds one in their hands, they think about how their life will change if it wins. Visions of mansions, sports cars, and early retirement dance in their heads when faced with the prospect of instant riches. In the blink of an eye: The hope is dashed agaist the rocks of reality and statistics when they discover it's a Loser. This process takes the receiver of a lottery ticket gift through the roller coaster of great hope and great disappointment, and chances are good that the receiver will like the giver a little bit less when the ride is over.

WOW.....when you put it that way, giving a lottery ticket as a gift seems rude and depressing.  A useless piece of paper?  Geez....I'm speechless.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                          Beautiful Florida
                          United States
                          Member #5709
                          July 18, 2004
                          20228 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:49 am - IP Logged

" Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give."

Regardless, It's really the thought that counts. On one hand it could be the worst, but on the other hand it could be the best.

"After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing lottery ticket."

Is it any different than the TIE with animal designs or polka dots on it, that finds it's way to the dresser drawer, or to another christmas box to be given to someone else. The Salvation Army recieved over one million ties last year in their good will bins.

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                            Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #82001
                            November 3, 2009
                            890 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:54 am - IP Logged

ABSOLUTELY I would be hugely UPSET!

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                              Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #82001
                              November 3, 2009
                              890 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:59 am - IP Logged

ABSOLUTELY I would be hugely UPSET!

...And so would 99.99% of people. Truth is it would only be human nature especialy for a million dollar that OP proposed.