Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it was a million dollar winner?

Topic closed. 82 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
pepper1's avatar - batman38
hotatlanta
United States
Member #70664
February 8, 2009
1446 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:59 am - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

I would never give a lottery ticket as a gift for that reason it could be a winner, but if I did and it won I would be mad

as h_ll at myself. I would get over it because after all I gave it as a GIFT

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
    Midlands, SC
    United States
    Member #69698
    January 14, 2009
    303 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:03 am - IP Logged

I guess truth be told, I would be a bit disappointed that it wasn't me, but at the same time, I'd be happy for them.  You buy people gifts to make them happy.  I figure when it's my time to win, it's my time.  Period. 

Am I the only one on this board that thinks it's okay to give lottery tickets as gifts?  Am I a fool for doing this?  Really????

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
      Illinois
      United States
      Member #82001
      November 3, 2009
      890 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I would never give a lottery ticket as a gift for that reason it could be a winner, but if I did and it won I would be mad

as h_ll at myself. I would get over it because after all I gave it as a GIFT

I wouldn't begrudge someone over winning some pocket money from a ticket I gave them as a gift but a million dollar or any significant jackpot would be a life changer for you and your family.

Isn't that like a player taboo kinda like copying somone else numbers?

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51138 Posts
        Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:29 am - IP Logged

" Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give."

Regardless, It's really the thought that counts. On one hand it could be the worst, but on the other hand it could be the best.

"After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing lottery ticket."

Is it any different than the TIE with animal designs or polka dots on it, that finds it's way to the dresser drawer, or to another christmas box to be given to someone else. The Salvation Army recieved over one million ties last year in their good will bins.

Millions of Gifts get returned/exchanged every year for a Gift that's more to the Gift Recipients liking: What do you do with a Losing Lottery Ticket: Throw It Away!

The gift receiver will feel animosity toward the gift giver for implying that he or she deserves a cut of the winnings, and the relationship will be downhill from there.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20244 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I guess truth be told, I would be a bit disappointed that it wasn't me, but at the same time, I'd be happy for them.  You buy people gifts to make them happy.  I figure when it's my time to win, it's my time.  Period. 

Am I the only one on this board that thinks it's okay to give lottery tickets as gifts?  Am I a fool for doing this?  Really????

No, I think it's okay also to give as gifts. As i stated earlier, it's the thought that counts not wether they win a dollar, or a million or absolutely nothing... 

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

rustysmom's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
            ohio
            United States
            Member #706
            September 14, 2002
            727 Posts
            Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I don't give scratch-off's as gifts. I do give mega million tickets to a few co-workers and I tape mega millions tickets to candy canes and hang them on our tree for our company ,christmas eve.How ever I pick one number for everyone  and I also buy a few extra for myself, so if they win, I win too.

I do like receiving scratch-off's, but if I won a large amount I would share with the person who gave it to me.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
              Beautiful Florida
              United States
              Member #5709
              July 18, 2004
              20244 Posts
              Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Millions of Gifts get returned/exchanged every year for a Gift that's more to the Gift Recipients liking: What do you do with a Losing Lottery Ticket: Throw It Away!

The gift receiver will feel animosity toward the gift giver for implying that he or she deserves a cut of the winnings, and the relationship will be downhill from there.

This is true for exchanged gifts, but if people would put a little thought into what the person likes or dislikes it wouldn't happen as much.

As far as the gift giver feeling ananosity towards the other if a large amount was won, I would say don't give a lottery ticket/scratchoff, if you feel this way. I honestly don't think the consensus would be that they would harbor anamosity  towards the other person. Maybe some would, but not the majority. I would be happy for them not looking for a cut.. 

This type of blanket question could go on and on, because of the " wouda, shouda, couda situation. 

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                Illinois
                United States
                Member #82001
                November 3, 2009
                890 Posts
                Posted: November 22, 2009, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I don't give scratch-off's as gifts. I do give mega million tickets to a few co-workers and I tape mega millions tickets to candy canes and hang them on our tree for our company ,christmas eve.How ever I pick one number for everyone  and I also buy a few extra for myself, so if they win, I win too.

I do like receiving scratch-off's, but if I won a large amount I would share with the person who gave it to me.

I love your idea. It's a fair compromise because everyone win. Gonna use that as a "honey trap" for my white elephant gift exchange lol

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: November 22, 2009, 11:48 am - IP Logged

but is there an expectation of getting a cut from the win if a " gift " won?  isnt it not really a gift  if theres a expectation of a share?

its not a gift if the giver wants a cut and gets annoyed if you dont share. its them buying themselves a ticket and giving you the job og claiming a prize.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Litebets27's avatar - power
                    Maryland
                    United States
                    Member #10465
                    January 14, 2005
                    6065 Posts
                    Posted: November 22, 2009, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

I usually give out scratch-off tickets every year at the family Christmas party to everyone that attends. The Teens are usually the bnig winners. Of course, their parents' have to cash the tickets for them. I don't think anyone has ever expressed feeling upset over not having a winner.

They usually comment about it being fun.

I hope one day I can give them a big Jackpot winner.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19901 Posts
                      Posted: November 22, 2009, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

If one felt they might be upset if their gift turned out to be a big winner then they shouldn't give lottery tickets as gifts, just give money.  And if the person ends up using the money to buy a lottery ticket that wins big then just accept the fact that some people are lucky and forget about it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                        Queens, NY
                        United States
                        Member #245
                        April 15, 2002
                        451 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2009, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

The world must be full of stupid people including the officials of the various lotteries who have commercials asking that you give lottery tickets as gifts. Only a stupid person would be upset if they won. The maximum scrathoff ticket sold in NY is $30 and most people give  $2 or $5 tickets as gifts. The person who got upset because the recipient won $75 bucks was cheap and next time should give a gift that costs more then $2. and has no possibility of increasing in value.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2009, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Among some of the things i wouldn't do is give someone a lottery ticket as a gift expecting them to win if i give someone a lottery ticket as a gift it will be a winner a jackpot winner...

How will i feel? That depends how much i got...Right now because of my situation i will feel upset i might even plead to the person to give me: $100,000...If i dont get anything it will be very upsetting because i dont have none...

Hower the situation changes..For instance if you was to gather 10,000 people me among them and ask me to chip in $20 and the 10,000 people including me we will make 1 person win $1 million or a large amount despite that i dont have anything i will be more than happy to give the $20 or whatever amount..

Again the situation changes...Now if i had: 20 million dollars or 40 million dollars and lets say i could give people a lottery ticket as a gift and suppose that each of those lottery ticket became 30 million dollar or 60 million dollar winners I WILL MORE THAN HAPPY GIVE THEM AWAY, dude to me having 20 million is the same as having 70 million few people in the world see the world that way..In fact i will give a lot of them away as much as i can....Because i know i have 20 or 40 million and if placed in the bank it will give me: 1 or 2 million a year all the time and i know that a Chrysler 300 cost like $25,000 and 4 used lexus sl 300's for my teen kids will cost like $7,000 each and a home gym cost like $3,000 and a cheap supercomputer cost like $500,000 or $1 million....I dont plan to live like a rich person i dont like it i dont plan to buy me a mansion i dont like them i rather spend $10 million [from the interest] on 10 story building and house all my family there...I am the kind of guy that if i am going to have a 30 million dollar mansion or a 100 million dollar mansion i rather have 100 or 200 clean hot looking beautiful possibly tall female sex slaves if my friends were single i might get them some too, of course getting paid that i can look at all day and use them all day...However if i gave someone a lottery ticket with me having 30 million dollars and that ticket became a 200 million dollar winner i will also be upset...why? Because i know i could use those $200 million better than that person...What i might end up doing is the person i give the lottery ticket as a gift i will tell them that if is less than 60 million they can have it if is 100 million plus they give me all and stay with 60 million...But i dont see this happening because i will not give someone a lottery ticket as a gift... 

you may ask about the sex slaves..Dude rich people buy 100 million dollar mansions and throw big parties every weekend yet the people that are on those mansions in the parties sex is in their minds every minute they just dont say it and the party finishes and everybody goes home with sex in their mind and nothing happened...i dont see the point...If you have a party in a mansion and there are 70 guys and 30 chicks...all 70 guys want to sleep with the hot blondie they wouldnt say but thats what's going on in their minds..There is freedom in America right, right...You think i am crazy but a LOT OF GUYS, A LOT OF GUYS WILL DO THIS...Anyways dont let me skew from the subject....

anyways that's what i'll do...again i dont see it happening because i will not give nobody a lottery ticket as a gift...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

LAKE HAVASU AZ
                            United States
                            Member #44729
                            August 8, 2006
                            446 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2009, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

i would be happy for them and hopefully they would return the favor by giving me some of the money Hyper

Monkey Butt, USA
                              United States
                              Member #54569
                              August 23, 2007
                              1124 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2009, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Nope!! I give lottery tickets every year. I give scratch offs and I give quick picks. If I was worried about the quick picks hitting then I would purchase the same numbers myself so that if the numbers hit then I would win also. But since I am giving these as gifts, then I look forward to hearing that one of the tickets was a winner so we can celebrate.

PartyPartyPartyParty