Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it was a million dollar winner?

Topic closed. 82 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Monkey Butt, USA
United States
Member #54569
August 23, 2007
1124 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2009, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

" Most of the civilized world recognizes that a lottery ticket is the worst gift one could possibly give."

Regardless, It's really the thought that counts. On one hand it could be the worst, but on the other hand it could be the best.

"After one minute of scratching or watching the Drawing: What was once a thoughtful gift becomes a useless piece of paper. No other gift in the world finds it's way to the Trash Can faster than a losing lottery ticket."

Is it any different than the TIE with animal designs or polka dots on it, that finds it's way to the dresser drawer, or to another christmas box to be given to someone else. The Salvation Army recieved over one million ties last year in their good will bins.

Or any different from the:

Fruit cake that ends up being a doorstop. Or

Cologne/perfume that reminds you of the toilet water used by Aunt Minerva in 1942.

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2009, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

i want to clear something up, i dont want people to think that i am selling sex...what i am saying is that the sex slaves will get paid by me to be my sex slaves..that along with a 10 million dollar 12 story building como la sede...

to everyone i apologize if am skewing away from the subject...and again there is a lot of guys, a lot of guys would do this....A lot of guys i know will do this...

i woulnt write again on this thread...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      Santa Ana
      United States
      Member #71159
      February 20, 2009
      651 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2009, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

I've bought lottery tickets for only one person-my dad because we are both avid players.  If the ticket I bought for him turned out to be a million dollar winner; he would share it with the family or vice-versa if he bought me the winning ticket.

United States
        Member #54390
        August 17, 2007
        313 Posts
        Posted: November 23, 2009, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

The answers given so far are very disturbing. A gift, by its very nature is an expression of good will and love (not romantic). If you're the type of person that would get upset by that then you shouldn't be giving anybody anything to begin with. That's the type of person who makes sure they're getting a gift before they give one. It's not genuine.

Money makes people two-faced; even if he/she is the most innocent person in the world.

I guarantee that if someone won millions and you bought him/her the ticket, you will become two-faced if he/she doesn't give you any.  I GUARANTEE!!!! You may seem innocent but when the money is in your face and it's not your's, you will go bongo..... I mean, you play the lottery.. don't you? You want that money, don't you? You see?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: November 25, 2009, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

lol smooth this cracked me up, so tru, and so funny. I buy tickets for pressies, and i will go bongo too. just the wider variety of life to spice things up for me. I just make sure i only give to people who i like  A LOT.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
            Atlanta,GA
            United States
            Member #79429
            September 1, 2009
            103 Posts
            Posted: November 25, 2009, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

No. I would not be upset; it would only indicate to me that it was their time to win and not mine.  If I keep the ticket it most likely wouldn't win.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: November 26, 2009, 12:41 am - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't be upset! Because I wouldn't give lottery tickets as a gift in the first place! I'd give them cash to spend as they wished!

I know that I wouldn't think to kindly of someone giving me lottery tickets as a Christmas gift! So, why would I do something like that to someone else that I wouldn't want done to me? I wouldn't!

And that's a "NO" as a stocking stuffer too!!!!!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2009, 3:33 am - IP Logged

No, I think it's okay also to give as gifts. As i stated earlier, it's the thought that counts not wether they win a dollar, or a million or absolutely nothing... 

So what is your thought when you give somebody a lottery ticket? Do you think that there's a good chance that the recipient will actually win a decent prize and it's a thoughful and valuable gift, or do you think "hey, this will only cost $1 (or $5?), and I can just buy it while I'm picking up my own tickets (or milk, bread, cigarettes)"?

Getting a lottery ticket or two along with a bunch of other small presents (such as a Christmas stocking) would be much different than getting one or two tickets in a birthday card. I'd say that a $10 Dunkin Donuts gift card is more valuable and  shows at least as much thought.

"I'm not sure why anyone would be sad or depressed if a lottery ticket gift they gave was a winner."

That's pretty easy. It clearly means that you gave them the wrong ticket. For the most part, it's not human nature to give more than you've got, and very few people would intentionally give that much money to anyone who wasn't very important to them when they didn't have (or get) at least as much for themselves.

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                  NC
                  United States
                  Member #11741
                  February 23, 2005
                  1233 Posts
                  Posted: November 26, 2009, 3:47 am - IP Logged

Only stupid people would give lottery ticket as gifts. 

This girl that I knew gave her friend a $2 scratch.  It ended up being a $75 winner. She got mad and depressed because of it.

It's the dumbest present anyone can give. 

I'm not stupid either!  You give them as gifts in good faith, you know what the outcome may or maynot be. Why would someone be stupid for doing something from the heart?

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: November 26, 2009, 8:52 am - IP Logged

I've often given lottery tickets - usually scratch-offs.  To best friends and family only.  Mostly family.  No big winners so far.

I give with the idea that if the top prize was a million dollars and they win, then I'd be happy.  No strings attached.  No kickbacks required.  It costs a buck.  All I lost was a buck, whether they win or not.  I feel they are worth the dollar I spent on them.

I've often bought mega millions tickets for myself and also for my dad/mom or one of my sons at the same time.  Quick picks.  I guess those are gifts, although not for any special occasion.

United States
                      Member #82984
                      November 26, 2009
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: November 26, 2009, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

i would be incredibly jealous lol

United States
                        Member #75358
                        June 1, 2009
                        5345 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2009, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I would only give a sctratch off after I sctatched it first and only if there was 2 out of 3 prizes showing, which were a hundred thousand or more, needing only one more for a winner. Then I can show them how close they were to all that money. It would make them feel better to do it my way, than to scratch it themselves and find a close call with any old ticket that had two ten dollar matches or two 50 dollar matches needing only one more to win a measley 10 or 50 bucks.

The only downside is that it may cost too much buying tickets to find one with high pay off matches. (almost matches)

Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #79361
                          August 30, 2009
                          93 Posts
                          Posted: November 26, 2009, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

I would be upset if it did not win them anything.

United States
                            Member #54390
                            August 17, 2007
                            313 Posts
                            Posted: November 27, 2009, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

I'm not stupid either!  You give them as gifts in good faith, you know what the outcome may or maynot be. Why would someone be stupid for doing something from the heart?

Refer to my second post.

LottoPools's avatar - bee
                              Houston, TX
                              United States
                              Member #4496
                              April 29, 2004
                              71 Posts
                              Posted: December 1, 2009, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

My brother and I were just talking about this not too long ago.  Like him, I would be happy to receive a lottery ticket or scratch off as a gift. 

However, I only give MM or PB type tickets to people I really really like.  For instance, if I gave a MM ticket to my brother's girlfriend and she hit the jackpot, I would NOT be happy, no way, no how,  unh unh.  But if I gave one to a niece or nephew, and it hit, I'd be fine with that even though I'm sure I'd be a little jealous too.  I'd also have a problem if I thought they were wasting the money.  But it was a gift and after it is presented, it's theirs with no expectaton that they would share with me (but I wouldn't say no if it was offered either).

This year I will be giving lottery tickets to everybody for Christmas except the wee ones.  After this thread though, they'll all be scratch offs.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.