Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it was a million dollar winner?

Topic closed. 82 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: December 1, 2009, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

I routinely buy Raffle Tickets for close family members. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them win. I wouldn't expect a kickback or be mad if I didn't get one either but I know that every one of them would insist on splitting with me. They also buy tickets for me and that's what I would do without thinking about it if I won also. I don't understand how anybody could regret making a family member rich.

I like Joker17's idea about pre-scratched scratchers for certain in-laws though, lol.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
    Wilson
    United States
    Member #54516
    August 21, 2007
    2802 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2009, 1:25 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure why anyone would be sad or depressed if a lottery ticket gift they gave was a winner.  Most people give gifts to people they care about, and for me, it would make me very happy to see someone I care about get a financial bump.

If it would really tear you up to see a lottery ticket gift be a winner, then just give it to your spouse as a gift.

....depending on the relationship ....that could be WORSE ROFL than giving it to a friend. Talk about complicated.....I hear it on these divorce shows all the time...."it wasn't a loan...it was a gift"......

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

NYSlugger 777's avatar - 777
      NY
      United States
      Member #54513
      August 21, 2007
      6371 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2009, 2:03 am - IP Logged

Would you be upset if you gave a lottery ticket as a gift and it turned out to be a million dollar winner? Bang Head  or No Nod or Yes Nod

I'd figure if I gave away a ticket that turned out to be a million dollar winner i'd be upset if the person didnt give me back anything from what they won(i'd be satisfiedfied with at least $500 if they won 1 million bucks,  if they gave me a small fraction of the million dollars they won I  wouldn't feel upset. Anything $500 or over because a million is a lot.If the person gave back nothing at all frm that million dollar win it would mean that person is pretty much heartless.If someone gave me a ticket that turned out to be 1 million dollars i'd give that person AT LEAST some of the winnings.Anything won thats 5,000 dollars or greater. i'd expect the person to give me back at least  a few dollars as a way of saying thanks for the gift...

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
        Charlotte NC
        United States
        Member #17406
        June 18, 2005
        4053 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

SmileyI give lottery tickets as a gift all the time and hope they win.  They make great stocking stuffers for the people who love the lottery, especially scratchers.

However some people think it steals their luck even if they bring scratch offs back from the store for someone else.  (I know someone like that) They will mow you down going back to the counter so that you won't get the next set of scratchers coming off.

I'm a strong believer in - if you give you receive.  It's a spirtual law.  Watch it come back to you not only in the giving of material things but in actions and deeds as well.

takeemtothebank

NY
          United States
          Member #54513
          August 21, 2007
          6371 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't be upset! Because I wouldn't give lottery tickets as a gift in the first place! I'd give them cash to spend as they wished!

I know that I wouldn't think to kindly of someone giving me lottery tickets as a Christmas gift! So, why would I do something like that to someone else that I wouldn't want done to me? I wouldn't!

And that's a "NO" as a stocking stuffer too!!!!!

I agree I wouln't give away a lotto ticket as a gift never. I buy them for myself only Big Grin

Why should someone else get money from my efforts & luck? If I buy a lotto ticket that turns out to be a winner thats my luck why would I give away my winnings to someone else i'f im the one who deserved it by purchsing the lucky winning ticket.I'd rather give cash away as a gift than a lottery ticket, buts it's just how " I " feel.

LottoPools's avatar - bee
            Houston, TX
            United States
            Member #4496
            April 29, 2004
            71 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2009, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Reminds me of the story about the guy who let an in-a-rush customer in front of him at the grocery store.  The "jumper" ended up being the ?th custormer and winning a prize; he didn't share it with the guy that let him jump.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4528 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2009, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

a gift equals- no strings attached.

Although I do like to attach an ATTABOY to the winner!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Bahamas
                Member #44107
                July 30, 2006
                251 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2009, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

If I bought someone a lottery ticket and they win a million dollars I would not be mad because it would have to be someone who is very close to me in the first place and we would have to have an agreement as to how much I will get if they win, other than that I wouldn't even buy a lottery ticket for someone as a gift.

Milwaukee, WI
                  United States
                  Member #3131
                  December 27, 2003
                  665 Posts
                  Posted: December 3, 2009, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

I have given tickets as a gift.  But I tell them that if they win a big prize to give me 1% back.

So If they win 100 Million, I get 1 million and could live well on that.

1% would hardly be a dent in a big prize.

I also tell the people that sell me tickets that I would give 1% as a tip, and I have.

MarkP

Milwaukee, WI
                    United States
                    Member #3131
                    December 27, 2003
                    665 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2009, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Ok, what if you recieved a million $$$ ticket as a gift. Would you give some back to the giver?

I most definately would...

MarkP

NY
                      United States
                      Member #54513
                      August 21, 2007
                      6371 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2009, 12:42 am - IP Logged

If I bought someone a lottery ticket and they win a million dollars I would not be mad because it would have to be someone who is very close to me in the first place and we would have to have an agreement as to how much I will get if they win, other than that I wouldn't even buy a lottery ticket for someone as a gift.

Well said. I agree with you.One of the reasons I wouldnt get someone a lotto ticket / scratchoff as a gift is because what if it does not win anything at all? THen It wouldn't be a such a "great" gift afterall.In fact anytime I've ever thought of a good birthday present .... a lotto ticket or scratchoff ticket has never came into my mind as a good idea for a "gift", but thats just how " I " feel.Others may feel as if a scratchoff or lottery ticket maybe be a good gift and thats normal because everyone has their own opinion(S)Yes Nod

. I wouldnt want that "special" person to be disspointed if the lotto ticket / scratchoff "gift" doesnt win nothing. Thats why i'd rather play them (& maybe buy myself a few scratch off tickets once in a while) for myself.Smile

NH
                        United States
                        Member #83352
                        December 5, 2009
                        223 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2009, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I sometimes grab 5 or 10 scratch offs and give half to my Dad to scratch...However, I tell him anything over $20 we split 50/50

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                          Northern Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #83350
                          December 5, 2009
                          1317 Posts
                          Posted: December 7, 2009, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Only if I were playing the same game. 

I bought my sister a Virginia Lottery Millionaires' Raffle Ticket for her birthday. If she wins, I do not think I will be upset if she wins because I did not play the game myself. But, if I had bought two tickets at the same time, one for myself and one for my sister, and my sister's ticket turned out to be a winning ticket and mine did not, then I would be quite upset.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: December 14, 2009, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

The Illinois Lottery is running a TV commercial for the holidays, "Joy someone and they may joy you back".

The theme song for it is a parody of Joy to the World.

At one of the places we buy tickets there's a sample poster up for it, with a gift tag, and the guys who work there wrote "Clerks" in the To slot of the gift tag.

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                              Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #82001
                              November 3, 2009
                              890 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2009, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

The Illinois Lottery is running a TV commercial for the holidays, "Joy someone and they may joy you back".

The theme song for it is a parody of Joy to the World.

At one of the places we buy tickets there's a sample poster up for it, with a gift tag, and the guys who work there wrote "Clerks" in the To slot of the gift tag.

Green laugh

That's a pretty catchy commercial. They always done a good job of marketing in IL. Hey it works because I started buying them for the holidays. I usually hate them but figure it was something fun to do Christmas day.