Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The REAL reason lotteries like RNG.

Topic closed. 77 replies. Last post 6 years ago by jwhou.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2010, 1:29 am - IP Logged

I posted this on my blog, but I thought I'd post it here too considering that you guys would probably find this interesting.

Random Number Generators. They are, for many reasons, the bane of many lottery player's existance. In some cases the complaints are enough to make you believe that the complainer is a member of the frequent buyer's club at Ty's Tin-Foil Hat Warehouse. But there are just as many good reasons for hating these things, one of which is that they have proven to be problematic, and those problems can go on unnoticed indefinitely.

For example, when ball machines screw up and have problems, they're easy to spot, because ping-pong and rubber balls, and the machines that mix them, are completely tangible. If there's a crack in the ball, you're going to see it, and you can rectify it quickly. That isn't always possible with RNGs, because you can't easily spot a "crack" in a computer program's code. Case in point, when problems came up with California's and Tennessee's RNG, they were not noticed and fixed until some keen-eyed players noticed the problem many draws later. These problems kept some players from winning, and these problems would not have occurred if the lotteries in question had stuck with ball drawings. The lotteries obviously did not want this to happen, as at least in Tennessee, this proved to be a PR nightmare. But none of these lotteries have switched back to balls despite the bad press. Why is this? Are they really trying to screw players? Are they rigging the draws and just got caught? No, frequent buyer of tin-foil hats, but the real reason, as I have figured out, isn't that much better. The reason is, they're lazy.

Yeah, they're lazy.

You see, RNGs are a lot easier to use. No inspecting balls, no loading balls into the machine for the test draw, not loading balls for the real draw. All officials have to do is sign a few names, clip a few seals, make a few mouse clicks, and just like that they have numbers. That's the real reason a lot of lottery directors like these things, and that's the real reason the use them. Lost sales are, in their eyes, perfectly justified if it means less work for them and as long as the sales drops aren't catastrophic, lottery directors won't be getting any pink slips from the governor. After all, they get most of their sales from scratch-offs anyway.

(insert signature here)

Miln$onthwy's avatar - Lottery-055.jpg
    Boise, Idaho
    United States
    Member #92773
    June 14, 2010
    28 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2010, 2:01 am - IP Logged

Very interesting indeed!  I wonder if more signatures on Todds petition for True Lottery Drawings would put a damper on something like this?

Excellent post by the way.

Let me put it this way....You and I have just as good a chance of winning 'The Big One'...as the next Guy !!

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2010, 11:19 am - IP Logged

As a proud wearer of the Tin-Foil Hat, I wll also agree with your assesment that the lottery folks are lazy.  RNG are much easier to work than holding to a TV schedule, testing machines, loading the machines, loading the balls one does not want to come into play, loading the auditor with liquor 30 minutes before the "mouse click", and loading the bonus paycheck when payouts are minimized.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
        NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3818 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2010, 11:47 am - IP Logged

I dont live in a RNG state, they drop the ping pong balls here in NY.

As a matter of fact, for Lotto, three sets of ballsets are changed every three months.

For Take Five and Pick 10 there are also three ballsets and they are changed every two months.

Numbers and Win 4 ballsets are changed every month (both the midday and evening sets).

I guess they're NOT lazy here in New York........

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2010, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

I dont live in a RNG state, they drop the ping pong balls here in NY.

As a matter of fact, for Lotto, three sets of ballsets are changed every three months.

For Take Five and Pick 10 there are also three ballsets and they are changed every two months.

Numbers and Win 4 ballsets are changed every month (both the midday and evening sets).

I guess they're NOT lazy here in New York........

Yes, however those "test draws" which they don't show the results of is reason for concern! 

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
            Texas
            United States
            Member #86154
            January 30, 2010
            1654 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2010, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

This discussion has risen before, and, is still a very good one. Maybe if we keep pounding it, things will change...maybe. I believe the lotteries feel that RNG is an easier, more efficient, and accurate means of drawing numbers. In reality, there have been far more problems and complaints with it than we all know of.

First of all, RNG's must be PRE- PROGRAMMED with a method by which to draw the numbers meaning that there is, in fact, an ORDER of numerical selection. Otherwise, how does the program know how to select numbers? In other words, it follows a specific mathematical pathway. Now, how can this be random if it's actually programmed to do something...by humans???

I don't buy it and never will. Mechanical draws are true to their lottery heritage in that there is NOTHING there to tell the balls what to do...PERIOD. The tumbler is turned on along with the air and the balls are either dropped or sucked up via vacuum to produce winners. Or, there may be a path opened to allow each ball to roll into for a winner (gravity).

No gimmicks, no tweaking the computers, no computer errors, no nothing. Both methods require pre-draws but, I find it strange that the RNG's aren't swapped out like the ball sets are to maintain fairness. I could be wrong but, I don't think the software is ever changed.

In the end, the RNG's have bosses...and the bosses are human. The mechanical draws also have bosses...they are tumblers, vacuum, and gravity. Which bosses do you trust when your money is on the line??? Tumblers, gravity, and vacuum don't know what money is. Humans do.

Just food for thought.

L.L.

L.L.

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2010, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

This discussion has risen before, and, is still a very good one. Maybe if we keep pounding it, things will change...maybe. I believe the lotteries feel that RNG is an easier, more efficient, and accurate means of drawing numbers. In reality, there have been far more problems and complaints with it than we all know of.

First of all, RNG's must be PRE- PROGRAMMED with a method by which to draw the numbers meaning that there is, in fact, an ORDER of numerical selection. Otherwise, how does the program know how to select numbers? In other words, it follows a specific mathematical pathway. Now, how can this be random if it's actually programmed to do something...by humans???

I don't buy it and never will. Mechanical draws are true to their lottery heritage in that there is NOTHING there to tell the balls what to do...PERIOD. The tumbler is turned on along with the air and the balls are either dropped or sucked up via vacuum to produce winners. Or, there may be a path opened to allow each ball to roll into for a winner (gravity).

No gimmicks, no tweaking the computers, no computer errors, no nothing. Both methods require pre-draws but, I find it strange that the RNG's aren't swapped out like the ball sets are to maintain fairness. I could be wrong but, I don't think the software is ever changed.

In the end, the RNG's have bosses...and the bosses are human. The mechanical draws also have bosses...they are tumblers, vacuum, and gravity. Which bosses do you trust when your money is on the line??? Tumblers, gravity, and vacuum don't know what money is. Humans do.

Just food for thought.

L.L.

L.L.

I Agree!If this is food for thought, I'll take a double scoop, Yes Nodplease! 

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                42152 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2010, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

November!!!!!! Get it put on the ballot if you can.

HyperBe Happy.

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2010, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Yes.Sull,  let's make a real change and not forget to remember on November!! Now they can run and take that with them!Lurking

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2010, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

We can only wish and dream.  Getting something like this on any ballot would be next to impossible.  Not enough people really give a hoot.

frenchie's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                      Los Angeles
                      United States
                      Member #75410
                      June 2, 2009
                      489 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2010, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Question : What about if someone could create the exact same RNG code and take the last draw as a reference it would give you the next winning numbers ?

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2010, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Question : What about if someone could create the exact same RNG code and take the last draw as a reference it would give you the next winning numbers ?

pumpi can you take this one?...Thanks..

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5587 Posts
                          Posted: July 7, 2010, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

If RNG and QP's were outlawed the lotteries would be forced to lower the odds.  The reason they like the RNG is because it is easy,   the same reason they (the lootery)  like the QP,  QP's increases the sales geometrically because,  just like the lootteries......it is easier for the players to buy Qp's and have loser QP's adding to the RNG loottery agency coffers.

Why don't they RNG the tax code?  Why don't we get QP our taxes?  Why can't I QP my VISA?

Play-girl's avatar - yesnurse
                            Atlanta, Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #84484
                            December 29, 2009
                            162 Posts
                            Posted: July 7, 2010, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

pumpi can you take this one?...Thanks..

Ha Ha HA... Play Nice Tiggs.. LMAO

**Almost Doesn't Count**

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8395 Posts
                              Posted: July 7, 2010, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

You could if they only used one PC and you had years worth of data, But they use different computers.

Keno rng's use different chipsets. They thought of everything LOL.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.