Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clerk called me a bum for buying lottery tickets

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #112369
June 17, 2011
187 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2012, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

This happened to me two nights ago.  I was checking tickets and buying one at a local gas station and the clerk was somebody that had chided me the previous week for buying lottery tickets.  He had said something like, "That's crazy - it'll get expensive buying them every day" when he was printing my tickets.  I didn't say anything last week when he said that.  I just thought it odd that he'd be trying to dissuade lotto sales when it's one of the items that they sell in order to stay in business.

But then yesterday as he handed me my ticket he said "Good luck" and as I turned away he muttered, "Bum!" under his breath.  I was so taken aback that again I didn't react.  Besides, there was somebody waiting in line behind me so I didn't want to interrupt whatever they were "wasting their money" on.

I looked back inside as I left and I could see the customer looking at me, probably wondering about what had just transpired.  I was going to go back and give the clerk what-for, but decided that it wouldn't be worth it yet.  Ideally, I'll win a lotto prize (bought somewhere else, obviously) and go back there to tell him about how the commission that the lotto pays out might have been nice had it been bought there.  Or maybe just a big F-U to him.

But it blows me away how rude that idiot was.  I'm still contemplating letting the store owner know that it might not be the best public relations strategy to be calling your customers bums.  Well, I just had to vent, and I figured that some of the fine folks here would appreciate the story.  I'm looking at it this way - that guy just fed hundreds of lotto karma dollars into my universe, now it's up to me to cash them in.  Good day to all, except him, of course.

And to top it all off, the ticket I bought from him was a winner - small amount winner, but not bad for a bum.  Sun streaking cold, an old man wandering lonely, taking time the only way he knows.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I'd give him so many lefts he'd be beggin' for a right.

And then?

Bedtime for Bonzo.

temptustoo's avatar - cat anm.gif
      usa
      United States
      Member #89197
      April 2, 2010
      2817 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

LOL.. THATS JUST SILLY..  Smile

Member #0
        January 1, 2000
        0 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

You're too nice. he would've had an earfull from me and then some.

nice Jethro Tull ending...ha

San Diego, CA
          United States
          Member #112369
          June 17, 2011
          187 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I like it - "Please, can you just finally give me a right cross after all those left hooks?"

lotsofwins's avatar - half planet.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #114703
            August 5, 2011
            4623 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

hey, I surely hope this person isn't a manager, your options are to contact the manager of the store and let them know what happened and which employee it was and to let the manager know that if the employee continues their behaviour you will take your business elsewhere

San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #112369
              June 17, 2011
              187 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

You're too nice. he would've had an earfull from me and then some.

nice Jethro Tull ending...ha

You're probably right, and I should have given him an ending like from Who concerts of the past, smashing my guitar over his head.  Pete Townshend + Quick Draw McGraw's El Kabong character.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                Maryland
                United States
                Member #10465
                January 14, 2005
                6065 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Sensibility rules the day. Go back, buy another ticket, then ask the clerk just what he has against you buying lottery.

He doesn't know how much money you have to waste your money on.

Or just why you play everyday.

And, frankly, it's none of his business.

If he is just a clerk, his job is to do his job and sell you a ticket without his 2 cents worth of an opinion.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
                  Phoenix, AZ
                  United States
                  Member #120254
                  December 14, 2011
                  91 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Wow. Just wow. It's cashiers like him that are the reason I prefer getting tix from the machines...

San Diego, CA
                    United States
                    Member #112369
                    June 17, 2011
                    187 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

hey, I surely hope this person isn't a manager, your options are to contact the manager of the store and let them know what happened and which employee it was and to let the manager know that if the employee continues their behaviour you will take your business elsewhere

My business is already elsewhere, that's for sure.  But I may let the manager know because I wouldn't want that piece of crap treating other lotto players like that.

San Diego, CA
                      United States
                      Member #112369
                      June 17, 2011
                      187 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2012, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely, Litebets.

It would be akin to a bartender spouting off about the dangers of alcohol.  The bar owner would put a dog muzzle on him in a heartbeat.

Saint Louis MO
                        United States
                        Member #110754
                        May 11, 2011
                        2649 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2012, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

My business is already elsewhere, that's for sure.  But I may let the manager know because I wouldn't want that piece of crap treating other lotto players like that.

I would for sure let management know, this type of person probably has a snide remark to utter under his breath for every being that walks into the store.  Happy lottery playing.Wink

Lele100

Good Luck!!

Remember to flip 6's 9's, mirror front and end #'s, and do front/back3 for a hit!

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11975 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2012, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

This happened to me two nights ago.  I was checking tickets and buying one at a local gas station and the clerk was somebody that had chided me the previous week for buying lottery tickets.  He had said something like, "That's crazy - it'll get expensive buying them every day" when he was printing my tickets.  I didn't say anything last week when he said that.  I just thought it odd that he'd be trying to dissuade lotto sales when it's one of the items that they sell in order to stay in business.

But then yesterday as he handed me my ticket he said "Good luck" and as I turned away he muttered, "Bum!" under his breath.  I was so taken aback that again I didn't react.  Besides, there was somebody waiting in line behind me so I didn't want to interrupt whatever they were "wasting their money" on.

I looked back inside as I left and I could see the customer looking at me, probably wondering about what had just transpired.  I was going to go back and give the clerk what-for, but decided that it wouldn't be worth it yet.  Ideally, I'll win a lotto prize (bought somewhere else, obviously) and go back there to tell him about how the commission that the lotto pays out might have been nice had it been bought there.  Or maybe just a big F-U to him.

But it blows me away how rude that idiot was.  I'm still contemplating letting the store owner know that it might not be the best public relations strategy to be calling your customers bums.  Well, I just had to vent, and I figured that some of the fine folks here would appreciate the story.  I'm looking at it this way - that guy just fed hundreds of lotto karma dollars into my universe, now it's up to me to cash them in.  Good day to all, except him, of course.

And to top it all off, the ticket I bought from him was a winner - small amount winner, but not bad for a bum.  Sun streaking cold, an old man wandering lonely, taking time the only way he knows.

Don't worry you will be able to buy your lottery on the Internet sometimes in 2012. I wrote a thread about how crazy it is to buy lottery tickets every week by going to the stores that sell them.I decided to play the lottery on a monthly basis regardless of the jackpot size and I do not believe in advanced plays.

You should have told him the following with a smile on your face. "you are a wise guy, have a nice day and walked away." I bet you he will think twice before getting smart with somebody else.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3854 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2012, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

very shocked at this,when i lived in s.cali.

never saw this kind of thing,

maybe things have gotten out hand there also.

in any case its just a clerk.

in the many jobs i've had working my way up,

most were places i could'nt afford to be a customer.(this is still true)

so maybe you can just say.

"don't worry you won't be stuck in this job forever,

you'll be in jobs like it, forever,less you change your tude"

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                              Member #24503
                              October 23, 2005
                              159 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2012, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Write a letter to both corporate and to the district manager.  Carbon Copy your State Lottery Commission.  Don't bother with the store manager.  Tell them you will not buy your tickets from that store.  Companies listen to 'I'll never buy X from your store' over 'I will still buy X', even if you dont mean it.

The problem *will* be solved, and you would have only had to pay for stamps or your internet connect to send the letters.