Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clerk called me a bum for buying lottery tickets

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
martingorgeous's avatar - azural
Johannesburg
South Africa
Member #113589
July 12, 2011
48 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Epistrophy, my friend,  just remember "Hurt people, hurt people!"

The fact that he called you a nasty name says more about him than about you.

My motto is to be tolerant and patient towards everyone, even the nasty ones!Blue Angel

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #112369
    June 17, 2011
    187 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2012, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations, Epistrophy!

After he counts out your winnings and hands it to you, tell him as ebulliently as you can that you had a feeling that he was gonna be your good luck charm and offer to buy him a small coffee.

Thanks!

And that's a capital idea, which is a good idea, as opposed to a capitol idea, which, well, we know how that goes...

San Diego, CA
      United States
      Member #112369
      June 17, 2011
      187 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2012, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

The Clerk (L) vs The Epistrophy(R)

Congratz on Winnin' Cheers

Thanks, it does feel like a solid roundhouse kick or a 4th down pass in the Super Bowl that sticks to the side of the receiver's helmet.

San Diego, CA
        United States
        Member #112369
        June 17, 2011
        187 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2012, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

My motto is to be tolerant and patient towards everyone, even the nasty ones!Blue Angel

I agree in principle and to an extent, because obviously that motto doesn't work very well when applied to Adolph Hitler and Nazi Germany, for example.  There are some situations where tolerance and patience are exhausted, but yes, in general and in principle, I agree.

Since the clerk is not quite at that level, he does still qualify for patience.  Barely.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2012, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Thanks!

And that's a capital idea, which is a good idea, as opposed to a capitol idea, which, well, we know how that goes...

You're most welcome.

And if he doesn't drink coffee you could tell him to take his pick of any candy bar in the place up to a dollar, tax included.

Or 65 cents cash, his choice.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
            Member #69530
            January 11, 2009
            7803 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2012, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

This happened to me two nights ago.  I was checking tickets and buying one at a local gas station and the clerk was somebody that had chided me the previous week for buying lottery tickets.  He had said something like, "That's crazy - it'll get expensive buying them every day" when he was printing my tickets.  I didn't say anything last week when he said that.  I just thought it odd that he'd be trying to dissuade lotto sales when it's one of the items that they sell in order to stay in business.

But then yesterday as he handed me my ticket he said "Good luck" and as I turned away he muttered, "Bum!" under his breath.  I was so taken aback that again I didn't react.  Besides, there was somebody waiting in line behind me so I didn't want to interrupt whatever they were "wasting their money" on.

I looked back inside as I left and I could see the customer looking at me, probably wondering about what had just transpired.  I was going to go back and give the clerk what-for, but decided that it wouldn't be worth it yet.  Ideally, I'll win a lotto prize (bought somewhere else, obviously) and go back there to tell him about how the commission that the lotto pays out might have been nice had it been bought there.  Or maybe just a big F-U to him.

But it blows me away how rude that idiot was.  I'm still contemplating letting the store owner know that it might not be the best public relations strategy to be calling your customers bums.  Well, I just had to vent, and I figured that some of the fine folks here would appreciate the story.  I'm looking at it this way - that guy just fed hundreds of lotto karma dollars into my universe, now it's up to me to cash them in.  Good day to all, except him, of course.

And to top it all off, the ticket I bought from him was a winner - small amount winner, but not bad for a bum.  Sun streaking cold, an old man wandering lonely, taking time the only way he knows.

It sounds like the guy was a complete jerk.

I wonder how he felt about people buying cigarettes and booze in his store ?

A lot of store owners feel that they arent making enough money off of ticket sales like they are everything else....plus the guy was probably jealous because you had the money to buy tickets and he did not ....he on the other hand probably spent his money on booze and cigarettes and considered what you were doing was somehow a vice.

either way it was pretty much a bad situtation no matter how ya look at it.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
              Nova Scotia
              Canada
              Member #9934
              December 27, 2004
              885 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2012, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Some of these clerks behind the counter, do not have the manners to provide customer service in the first place.. And I agree, I see alot of people wasting money on alcohol and cigarettes- when it could be more valuably used purchasing a lovely lottery ticket!!

Dance

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2012, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Some of these clerks behind the counter, do not have the manners to provide customer service in the first place.. And I agree, I see alot of people wasting money on alcohol and cigarettes- when it could be more valuably used purchasing a lovely lottery ticket!!

Dance

You're right, Elizabeth, I found that after I quit wasting money on cigarettes, I was able to drink twice as much whiskey.
                And buy an extra ticket now and then too.

--Edmund Burke

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                  Nova Scotia
                  Canada
                  Member #9934
                  December 27, 2004
                  885 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2012, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr, you are too funny.. It is always good to get an extra ticket if you can afford it!

Bronx
                    United States
                    Member #117423
                    October 5, 2011
                    1 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2012, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Hello hi i'm new to this post. but i had to respond about the clerk for calling someone a bum. And i would go back there and buy another ticket. maybe the clerk is unhappy he's  not a winner. don't worry about people like that. it's always good to be a winner.

Tucson, AZ
                      United States
                      Member #122197
                      January 26, 2012
                      14 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2012, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

yap, i know what you mean. some people don't know when is appropreiate .........  call the owner / manager and report the clerk. that's inapproreiate to customer.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2012, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Hello hi i'm new to this post. but i had to respond about the clerk for calling someone a bum. And i would go back there and buy another ticket. maybe the clerk is unhappy he's  not a winner. don't worry about people like that. it's always good to be a winner.

Welcome to Lottery Post Footprint69 and best of luck to ya!

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2012, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

yap, i know what you mean. some people don't know when is appropreiate .........  call the owner / manager and report the clerk. that's inapproreiate to customer.

Welcome to Lottery Post josie kat and best of luck to ya!

--Edmund Burke

LuckyDrew's avatar - vector 20train%20small.jpg
                            New York NY
                            United States
                            Member #100766
                            November 18, 2010
                            5558 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2012, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!I Agree!

wish me luck - im going in!

Tucson, AZ
                              United States
                              Member #122197
                              January 26, 2012
                              14 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2012, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

thank you Mr. Ridge runer. appreciate it.