Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clerk called me a bum for buying lottery tickets

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 4 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #64582
September 1, 2008
347 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2012, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Now that's funny!

I would have had to challenge him to an old-fashioned Revolutionary War era duel, with the white gloves and the pistols in the case, the whole routine.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I'm actually still torn about whether to report the Jerk Clerk ("The Jerk Store called, and they want you back") because even though he was rude, I wouldn't want the poor SOB to lose his job over this, which he very well might.  Knowing how messed up the economy and job market are, I would feel bad if that were to happen because he would have to get in line behind the millions of more qualified unemployed workers.

I know, why should I care?  But I do, because that's a real person instead of some faceless entity.

But I do appreciate everybody's ideas.  Either way, whatever I do it'll have to be next week at the earliest because I'm very busy with work right now.  It's not easy being a bum in IT when there's a big computer project underway.

I still like the idea of cashing a big winner there that was bought elsewhere.

Thanks again, everybody.  Good luck and God bless.

You are a really sweet person!! How thoughtful you are of others!

Here's a different way to do it: Call and ask for the manager. Then tell them that you've had some problems with at least one clerk. That the clerk called you a "bum" and the other things he's done. When the manager asks you who did it, just say "You know, I'd rather not say. Wouldn't it be better to talk to all your clerks about it? I really would hate for the store to lose customers. I won't be returning, but I wanted to make you aware in case it drives other players away too."

If the manager asks what time you stop by (trying to find out who was working), just non-chalantly tell him/her "Oh, whenever I have time."

I would work on the conversation being to help them out with saving customers, not who is doing it.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #112369
    June 17, 2011
    187 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2012, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

i nominate you for most laid back LP er,

not supriseing since you live in socali.

used to live in orange co.and miss that laid back "tude"

you know what i mean,had a problem today,

but tommorow everything will B-OK. Wink

Thanks, hay.  Much appreciated.

You're right, SoCal does have that laid back sense in general, which is pretty cool.

San Diego, CA
      United States
      Member #112369
      June 17, 2011
      187 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2012, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

The world would be a better place if everybody was like you and me, Epistrophy. But alas, they ain't.
      So every once in a while, we have to kick somebody's teeth in.

Sometimes it's like pulling teeth, other times it's like kicking them in.  Amateur dentistry at its best.  Step right up, folks, step right up.

San Diego, CA
        United States
        Member #112369
        June 17, 2011
        187 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2012, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

You are a really sweet person!! How thoughtful you are of others!

Here's a different way to do it: Call and ask for the manager. Then tell them that you've had some problems with at least one clerk. That the clerk called you a "bum" and the other things he's done. When the manager asks you who did it, just say "You know, I'd rather not say. Wouldn't it be better to talk to all your clerks about it? I really would hate for the store to lose customers. I won't be returning, but I wanted to make you aware in case it drives other players away too."

If the manager asks what time you stop by (trying to find out who was working), just non-chalantly tell him/her "Oh, whenever I have time."

I would work on the conversation being to help them out with saving customers, not who is doing it.

Thanks, dk.  That's an excellent suggestion.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
          Nova Scotia
          Canada
          Member #9934
          December 27, 2004
          891 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Any store clerk's who call people- customers names for buying lottery tickets- tend to forget that the customers are the one's bringing money into the store to pay their wages!

If you won alot of money, they wouldn't call you names, they'd probably be jealous of the fact that you won..

I'd talk to the manager for sure!

United States
            Member #121769
            January 16, 2012
            13 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2012, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Karma +1 for you.

I think people like this have been inundated with the idea that it's wasting money to play the lottery, but they don't consider the odds that if they spend $1 a week/$52 a year that they improve their odds from nothing to something.

The only thing I tell clerks like this is 'you can't win if you don't play'.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: January 17, 2012, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Karma +1 for you.

I think people like this have been inundated with the idea that it's wasting money to play the lottery, but they don't consider the odds that if they spend $1 a week/$52 a year that they improve their odds from nothing to something.

The only thing I tell clerks like this is 'you can't win if you don't play'.

I like the non-players who say, "Do you know what your chances of winning that are?"

I just say, "Better than someone's who's too friggin' cheap to spend a buck."

United States
                Member #121769
                January 16, 2012
                13 Posts
                Posted: January 17, 2012, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I like the non-players who say, "Do you know what your chances of winning that are?"

Exactly!

And they don't get the fun from studying it to pick their next numbers. I guess some people are too busy for hobbies anymore?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5143 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2012, 12:35 am - IP Logged

This happened to me two nights ago.  I was checking tickets and buying one at a local gas station and the clerk was somebody that had chided me the previous week for buying lottery tickets.  He had said something like, "That's crazy - it'll get expensive buying them every day" when he was printing my tickets.  I didn't say anything last week when he said that.  I just thought it odd that he'd be trying to dissuade lotto sales when it's one of the items that they sell in order to stay in business.

But then yesterday as he handed me my ticket he said "Good luck" and as I turned away he muttered, "Bum!" under his breath.  I was so taken aback that again I didn't react.  Besides, there was somebody waiting in line behind me so I didn't want to interrupt whatever they were "wasting their money" on.

I looked back inside as I left and I could see the customer looking at me, probably wondering about what had just transpired.  I was going to go back and give the clerk what-for, but decided that it wouldn't be worth it yet.  Ideally, I'll win a lotto prize (bought somewhere else, obviously) and go back there to tell him about how the commission that the lotto pays out might have been nice had it been bought there.  Or maybe just a big F-U to him.

But it blows me away how rude that idiot was.  I'm still contemplating letting the store owner know that it might not be the best public relations strategy to be calling your customers bums.  Well, I just had to vent, and I figured that some of the fine folks here would appreciate the story.  I'm looking at it this way - that guy just fed hundreds of lotto karma dollars into my universe, now it's up to me to cash them in.  Good day to all, except him, of course.

And to top it all off, the ticket I bought from him was a winner - small amount winner, but not bad for a bum.  Sun streaking cold, an old man wandering lonely, taking time the only way he knows.

Epistrophy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Psykomo   <<<<<<<does not THINK UR a BUMB!

Jack-in-the-Box

VAHopeful's avatar - winifrid
                    Virginia
                    United States
                    Member #116536
                    September 13, 2011
                    51 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2012, 10:00 am - IP Logged

How incredibly rude.

I'd go back to that store just long enough to get that clerk's name and then, as others have suggested, I'd write a letter to the manager and CC the district and corporate offices, explaining why I'd not only not be buying lottery tickets there, but not shopping there at all.

VAHopeful's avatar - winifrid
                      Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #116536
                      September 13, 2011
                      51 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2012, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I do have to say, one of the reasons I prefer to buy my tickets from the lotto machine at the grocery store is so I don't have to interact with clerks - no comments, good or bad, and no messed up tickets.

San Diego, CA
                        United States
                        Member #112369
                        June 17, 2011
                        187 Posts
                        Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Just when you thought this subject thread was dead.  Dum da dum dum.

I checked my Fantasy 5 ticket and it hit 4 out of 5 numbers to win $395, which is not as nice as the $55K it would have been with that 5th number, but not bad.

So now of course I have to go back to that same store and more specifically to that same guy.  I can think of a million ways to approach it and/or things to say, but I think I'll just play it low key until he's counting out the money.

And then I'll mention that if I had hit the other number I would have won $55,000 instead.  And then take the money and cap it off with a Brando impersonation and say, "I could have been a contender, Charlie.  I could have been somebody, instead of a bum."

But I'd also love to hear other suggestions.  Again because of work, I'm super busy and will only be able to check back periodically, but I wanted to let you guys know because it's a gas gas gas.

Interestingly enough, the ticket was a free replay one that you get for hitting 2 out of 5, so by definition it's a quick pick.  Also interestingly, the only number I missed was the first of the five, and I had 9 while the actual was 6.

And to top it all off, there was a Jimi Hendrix song called "If 6 was 9" because if 6 really were 9, it would be about 100 times funnier and more awesome, but I'm working on that, just give me time.

Instant Karma's alive and well.  Just add water - makes it own sauce.

Fantasy 5 ticket: $1

Replay from that ticket: $0

Hitting 4 out of 5 on that ticket: $395

Seeing the Jerk Store clerk's face when cashing it: Priceless

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: January 25, 2012, 11:47 am - IP Logged

I checked my Fantasy 5 ticket and it hit 4 out of 5 numbers to win $395, which is not as nice as the $55K it would have been with that 5th number, but not bad.

So now of course I have to go back to that same store and more specifically to that same guy.  I can think of a million ways to approach it and/or things to say, but I think I'll just play it low key until he's counting out the money.

And then I'll mention that if I had hit the other number I would have won $55,000 instead.  And then take the money and cap it off with a Brando impersonation and say, "I could have been a contender, Charlie.  I could have been somebody, instead of a bum."

But I'd also love to hear other suggestions.  Again because of work, I'm super busy and will only be able to check back periodically, but I wanted to let you guys know because it's a gas gas gas.

Interestingly enough, the ticket was a free replay one that you get for hitting 2 out of 5, so by definition it's a quick pick.  Also interestingly, the only number I missed was the first of the five, and I had 9 while the actual was 6.

And to top it all off, there was a Jimi Hendrix song called "If 6 was 9" because if 6 really were 9, it would be about 100 times funnier and more awesome, but I'm working on that, just give me time.

Congratulations, Epistrophy!

After he counts out your winnings and hands it to you, tell him as ebulliently as you can that you had a feeling that he was gonna be your good luck charm and offer to buy him a small coffee.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                            British Columbia
                            Canada
                            Member #116101
                            September 4, 2011
                            4033 Posts
                            Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

The Clerk (L) vs The Epistrophy(R)

Congratz on Winnin' Cheers

"You have to be in it to win it!"

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                              British Columbia
                              Canada
                              Member #116101
                              September 4, 2011
                              4033 Posts
                              Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Take that Jerk Clerk!!! Boxing

"You have to be in it to win it!"