Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clerk called me a bum for buying lottery tickets

Topic closed. 92 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 7 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #112369
June 17, 2011
187 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

My knuckles are twitchin'.

Make sure ya go to the same guy when ya win a big one.

Then duke everybody in the place a C-Note.

Except him.

That's funny.  I was reading your message and when I got to "Then duke everybody in the place" I was thinking, man ridge is majorly feisty right now.  He's going to knock everybody out even though he won.  And then I finished reading your sentence, which puts it in a different perspective.

Where I grew up, New York City, and probably several other places, maybe from Chicago to Philly and everything north of that, to duke somebody means to take a swing at them and knock them out, like your original "so many lefts he'd be begging for a right" gem, which still has me laughing, by the way.

But I had never heard of duking somebody to mean to comp them cash.  If you say you're going to duke somebody in Brooklyn, it's going to turn into a Scorcese film in a hurry.

But absolutely, comping, I mean duking them all except him would be pretty amusing.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2012, 12:11 am - IP Logged

That's funny.  I was reading your message and when I got to "Then duke everybody in the place" I was thinking, man ridge is majorly feisty right now.  He's going to knock everybody out even though he won.  And then I finished reading your sentence, which puts it in a different perspective.

Where I grew up, New York City, and probably several other places, maybe from Chicago to Philly and everything north of that, to duke somebody means to take a swing at them and knock them out, like your original "so many lefts he'd be begging for a right" gem, which still has me laughing, by the way.

But I had never heard of duking somebody to mean to comp them cash.  If you say you're going to duke somebody in Brooklyn, it's going to turn into a Scorcese film in a hurry.

But absolutely, comping, I mean duking them all except him would be pretty amusing.

Actually, I got that out of a Frank Sinatra biography that I read a few years back.

He used to travel with a couple bodyguards as I recall and they both carried a stack of hundreds which Frank used for tipping.
    And when Frank wanted to tip somebody he'd say "Duke 'em" and the guy would peel off a C-Note and hand it to the person.

I bought the book for an Italian friend of mine and he thought it was a cool term and still uses it all the time.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      San Diego, CA
      United States
      Member #112369
      June 17, 2011
      187 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2012, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Actually, I got that out of a Frank Sinatra biography that I read a few years back.

He used to travel with a couple bodyguards as I recall and they both carried a stack of hundreds which Frank used for tipping.
      And when Frank wanted to tip somebody he'd say "Duke 'em" and the guy would peel off a C-Note and hand it to the person.

I bought the book for an Italian friend of mine and he thought it was a cool term and still uses it all the time.

Nice!

I'm going to start using it too.  If it's good enough for the Chairman of the Board, it's good enough for me.