Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 8:41 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall finally may has the edge it's been seeking

Topic closed. 122 replies. Last post 5 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 1 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19900 Posts
Posted: May 30, 2012, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Since PB changed its matrix and price structure, the MM cash option and jackpot amounts have been close enough to give some players doubt about spending an extra buck for the same odds of winning a prize. 

Now that PB is at $146M/$95.4M and MM has reset to $12M/$9.1M, more players may decide to spend the extra buck on a few tickets.  I usually buy 20 MM tickets without the multiplier but tonight I will give some serious thought to picking up 10 PB tickets if I come up with 10 lines to play before the cut-off time.  This is the first time I've even thought about playing PB since its price change.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
    Member #48046
    December 7, 2006
    1699 Posts
    Posted: May 30, 2012, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I've almost dropped Power-Ball with the price change

But I may need to Re-think,  I usally played 5 lines w/ multiplier, so I could win a Million from 5 white balls.

Now... I don't think I need the multiplier, and can still win a Million  with the 5 white balls

and I 'm still spending the same$10 dollars.

I sure do like more plays in Mega, though. (10 plays -vs-5 plays)

ILLotteryman's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
      Chicago, IL
      United States
      Member #114234
      July 26, 2011
      429 Posts
      Posted: May 30, 2012, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

If you look at the odds, you win more ($150 vs. $100) if you match 4 white balls playing Mega. I'll stick to Mega thank you...

ILLotteryMan Signing Out

Major IL Lottery Winnings: 06/29/11 (784), 08/07/11 (678), 08/15/11 (056), 08/16/11 (759 Midday + 579 Evening), 08/22/11 (101), 08/26/11 (668), Instants: $50 Wheel of Fortune!

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: May 30, 2012, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

A couple days ago I was picking up my weekly lotto tickets (PB, MM, MM+, Hot Lotto, LFL). As I was cashing out at the supermarket I usually go to,

the clerk brought to my attention a "mistake" PB ticket, that was accidentally rung in by another clerk who had already left her shift.

It was for 5 easy picks (no multiplier), and asked me if I would be interested in purchasing the $10 ticket. I had no extra cash with me, and politely

turned down the offer. After arriving home, I got to thinking more and more about that "mistake" ticket.

Long story short, I called the supermarket to inquire if the ticket had been sold, it wasn't yet, and I asked if I could leave my name and I would

pick up the following day. (yesterday). Well the drawing is for this evening, the numbers look good, so I'm rolling the dice. I usually never buy more

than two lines on PB, but the intrigue of that "mistake" ticket was too hard for me to resist. Wouldn't that be the cats meow if the $146 million

was from this ticket!!!  Banana

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4961 Posts
          Posted: May 30, 2012, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

This cat thinks it is the cat's meow!  But if you get 5 #'s then and no multiplier, less money.

grwurston's avatar - 144
            Let's Go Rangers!!!
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            5111 Posts
            Posted: May 30, 2012, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

A couple days ago I was picking up my weekly lotto tickets (PB, MM, MM+, Hot Lotto, LFL). As I was cashing out at the supermarket I usually go to,

the clerk brought to my attention a "mistake" PB ticket, that was accidentally rung in by another clerk who had already left her shift.

It was for 5 easy picks (no multiplier), and asked me if I would be interested in purchasing the $10 ticket. I had no extra cash with me, and politely

turned down the offer. After arriving home, I got to thinking more and more about that "mistake" ticket.

Long story short, I called the supermarket to inquire if the ticket had been sold, it wasn't yet, and I asked if I could leave my name and I would

pick up the following day. (yesterday). Well the drawing is for this evening, the numbers look good, so I'm rolling the dice. I usually never buy more

than two lines on PB, but the intrigue of that "mistake" ticket was too hard for me to resist. Wouldn't that be the cats meow if the $146 million

was from this ticket!!!  Banana

Oh boy, if you should win you better hope the person that originally bought it doesn't show up and try to claim it as theirs.

Otherwise, we will all be reading about you on the news forum under a jackpot lawsuit topic.  Thud

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4961 Posts
              Posted: May 30, 2012, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Oh boy, if you should win you better hope the person that originally bought it doesn't show up and try to claim it as theirs.

Otherwise, we will all be reading about you on the news forum under a jackpot lawsuit topic.  Thud

But the original person did not pay for it.  Right?  So no claim.

grwurston's avatar - 144
                Let's Go Rangers!!!
                bel air maryland
                United States
                Member #90251
                April 24, 2010
                5111 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2012, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

But the original person did not pay for it.  Right?  So no claim.

Yes, but they could say; I told the clerk I didn't have $10, I will be back later to pay for it... I think I should shut up, I don't

want to give  anyone any ideas.   Yes Nod

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2012, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but they could say; I told the clerk I didn't have $10, I will be back later to pay for it... I think I should shut up, I don't

want to give  anyone any ideas.   Yes Nod

This actually happened in Idaho, except the guy did show back up to buy the ticket and the clerk sold him a different ticket, telling him it was the one he originally turned down.  There was a lawsuit, but I never learned how it turned out.

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2012, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

This cat thinks it is the cat's meow!  But if you get 5 #'s then and no multiplier, less money.

In all honesty, if I were to get 5+0, even without the multiplier.....I would be dancing my Irish jig all over town in jubilation!   Lep   Banana

KPaul's avatar - f holeavatar.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #128094
                      May 16, 2012
                      63 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2012, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Although I'd prefer that I won versus anyone else, hitting the jackpot with that "mistake" ticket runs a close second...that would be pretty awesome.

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Actually the way the clerk explained it to me, there was no customer involved. The previous clerk had just inadvertently hit the keys by accident,

and presto, 5 easy picks popped out. No lawsuit here, unless the lottery clerk decides to change her story. This is all caught on video, I'm not

concerned in the least. I'm also a regular customer at this supermarket, and pretty much know everyone there on a first name basis.

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4961 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2012, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Actually the way the clerk explained it to me, there was no customer involved. The previous clerk had just inadvertently hit the keys by accident,

and presto, 5 easy picks popped out. No lawsuit here, unless the lottery clerk decides to change her story. This is all caught on video, I'm not

concerned in the least. I'm also a regular customer at this supermarket, and pretty much know everyone there on a first name basis.

I think it is nice the clerk promised to save those tickets for you but it is probably a bad practice overall to hold onto unpaid for tickets for a customer (for mistake tickets). I would think since no cash exchanged hands, the clerk would be under no obligation to save them or give you the right ones. It would fall under a discretionary personal favor vs a legal responsibility or some duty of care probably. There would be no implied contract since there was no consideration.

Morrison, IL
                            United States
                            Member #4657
                            May 13, 2004
                            1884 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2012, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Yes, with last night's win, Mega Millions has caught up to Powerball in total number of jackpots awarded so far in 2012 (5).

---

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3092 Posts
                              Posted: May 31, 2012, 12:25 am - IP Logged

I like both games.  You have the $1 game mega millions which usually runs me between $2 and $4 to play because of the megaplier not bad.  Then you have the $2 game of powerball which usually runs me $3 to $6 with powerplay depending on if I play just my set of numbers for both games or if I add on the QP line to it.  So I usually only spend about $20 a week to stay active in each game if I play both my pick and a QP for both games.  Which I think is a cheap prize to pay for entertainment plus you might win a nice sum of money.  Good luck.-weshar75