Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall finally may has the edge it's been seeking

Topic closed. 122 replies. Last post 5 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 6 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1654 Posts
Posted: June 1, 2012, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

OK, you mean it will be like one of those slot machines where you can play diagonal lines and vertical lines and squiggly lines and zig zag lines, so that we can pay $40. for a 5 line card instead of $10.????

Well, I'm not saying to increase the cost...that's already been done.No Nod What I'm saying is to provide more ways to win (match numbers) on multiple lines which would be proportionate with the cost, right? I mean, if a player is playing more lines, then with a "scattered type payout" system they have more opportunities to match more numbers anywhere for some type of win at least. 

As is stands, the current matrix is still the "old matrix" just with higher initial payouts to bait players in...no change in terms making it easier to match more numbers which is what makes the odds better. Is this a bit clearer? So, yes, I guess it can be considered "zig-zagged", vertical, etc. 

I'm sure it's more detailed than what I'm trying to describe but, I'm only tryin' to introduce a "true solution" to accommodate their claim of better odds. They speak the BS language.

L.L.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19904 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2012, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Tonight will tell the story.  If tonight's PB tickets sales don't exceed those of MM Friday night's sales it never will.  With a jackpot of $164M compared to MM's $12M, it shouldn't even be close is spite of its higher price.  If it is then look for some changes within a year.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5768 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2012, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Tonight will tell the story.  If tonight's PB tickets sales don't exceed those of MM Friday night's sales it never will.  With a jackpot of $164M compared to MM's $12M, it shouldn't even be close is spite of its higher price.  If it is then look for some changes within a year.

MM only rolled $2 million. Sales had to be dismal. I was really surprised. So.... a lot of people who swore off PB because of the price, apparently swore off MM instead.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2012, 10:31 am - IP Logged

MM only rolled $2 million. Sales had to be dismal. I was really surprised. So.... a lot of people who swore off PB because of the price, apparently swore off MM instead.

Actually, I don't know WHY MM rolled by its minimum amount, because last night's sales were $18.7 million, which would have supported a cash jackpot of ~$6 million.  Of course, since Friday ticket sales tend to be higher than Tuesday ticket sales at any given jackpot amount, one would expect sales for Tuesday to be from $16-$17 million, so the cash jackpot should roll to at least $11 million, which would support an annuity of at least $15 million.  Maybe MM fixed prize reserves are running low too and they, too, are stealing from the jackpot fund to replenish the reserve.

---

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: June 2, 2012, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Actually, I don't know WHY MM rolled by its minimum amount, because last night's sales were $18.7 million, which would have supported a cash jackpot of ~$6 million.  Of course, since Friday ticket sales tend to be higher than Tuesday ticket sales at any given jackpot amount, one would expect sales for Tuesday to be from $16-$17 million, so the cash jackpot should roll to at least $11 million, which would support an annuity of at least $15 million.  Maybe MM fixed prize reserves are running low too and they, too, are stealing from the jackpot fund to replenish the reserve.

Maybe it's their way of flipping us the finger?

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: June 2, 2012, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Maybe it's their way of flipping us the finger?

Always good to get the bird every now and again, keeps things interesting. Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19904 Posts
              Posted: June 2, 2012, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm one of those.  Because of the jackpot differences of $150M+, I skipped buying 20 MM lines last night to buy 10 PB lines tonight.  Once MM reaches $50M, the jackpot differences won't matter, I will only be playing MM since I usually only play one of the games.

Evil Looking       

Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1654 Posts
                Posted: June 2, 2012, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

As time moves forward with this alleged, and, implemented change for better odds, players will be very attentive while taking notes on the results...especially LP members. A simple change in the powerball count of (35) at present from the former (39) will do nothing for the game. They should've adjusted the ENTIRE matrix of both the (59) balls and the (39) balls in order to provide better odds for the playerYes Nod. But, this would be too much like right and on par with what they've already claimed to have done. But, instead, they more or less used reverse psychology with marketing more money to be won. Hell, the monies haven't been made easier to win, though. This is the epitome of adjusting odds.

Think about it people, they've only removed (4) balls from only the powerball chamberThumbs Down. If this is suppose to be a significant change, then I'm callingBS...and several times over!!! If I want to spend my same $5, I now only get (2) lines with basically the same odds as before. They've literally doubled my cost for (5) lines while retaining the same odds.ShockedWhat?MadRoll EyesEekNo NodConfused You know, it almost sounds like a legal PONZI SCHEME to Lucky! Hell, it's just like gas...I'm gettin' less bang for more bucks!!!

I hope this whole deal falls through, actually, because it's just simply greed on their part. They could easily give back more to the players while still generating a good profit and supporting education. It's THE PEOPLE that make this work in the end!!! If we don't play, they have no money. It's easier said than done, though, because some just have that hope and will play regardless. Best of luck to all.

L.L.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                  Maryland
                  United States
                  Member #10465
                  January 14, 2005
                  6065 Posts
                  Posted: June 2, 2012, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Before Powerball moved into Maryland, I use to travel to the States that surrounded Maryland to play Powerball because those States all ran the game.

Now that the game has expanded into other States, including Maryland, and increased the ticket price, I have almost dropped the game from my list of games to play.

When I do play, I only pick up 1 to 3 tickets. What is funny, I continue to play the State's Jackpot games which have always been $2.00 a ticket.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3857 Posts
                    Posted: June 2, 2012, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Before Powerball moved into Maryland, I use to travel to the States that surrounded Maryland to play Powerball because those States all ran the game.

Now that the game has expanded into other States, including Maryland, and increased the ticket price, I have almost dropped the game from my list of games to play.

When I do play, I only pick up 1 to 3 tickets. What is funny, I continue to play the State's Jackpot games which have always been $2.00 a ticket.

I think your state game has better odds, what the JP start at ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1654 Posts
                      Posted: June 2, 2012, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I see the lotteries simply getting out of hand all the way around. The scratch tickets, for instance, use to payout more and more frequently when things first jumped off years ago. Now, it's very hard to get a reasonable win even on an expensive ticket. This may sound crazy but, I feel that the tiers should be adjusted to where there aren't so many, if any, multi-million dollar prizes. Take all that money and spread it out into sub $100K prizes so that there are more of these lower tier prizes to be won by more players.

Maybe I'm just dreaming but, it seems more logical to have lots more smaller prizes available that are a little easier to win as opposed to (3) $5 million top prizes floating around. Yeah, I know, they're in this business to make money. My question is why do they feel need to make so much of it, though, at the SOURCE'S EXPENSE...US? Since we make it work, we need to get more back more often.

L.L.

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: June 2, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I see the lotteries simply getting out of hand all the way around. The scratch tickets, for instance, use to payout more and more frequently when things first jumped off years ago. Now, it's very hard to get a reasonable win even on an expensive ticket. This may sound crazy but, I feel that the tiers should be adjusted to where there aren't so many, if any, multi-million dollar prizes. Take all that money and spread it out into sub $100K prizes so that there are more of these lower tier prizes to be won by more players.

Maybe I'm just dreaming but, it seems more logical to have lots more smaller prizes available that are a little easier to win as opposed to (3) $5 million top prizes floating around. Yeah, I know, they're in this business to make money. My question is why do they feel need to make so much of it, though, at the SOURCE'S EXPENSE...US? Since we make it work, we need to get more back more often.

L.L.

"I feel that the tiers should be adjusted to where there aren't so many, if any, multi-million dollar prizes. Take all that money and spread it out"

Right LL,

Why does the government keep creating more 1%'ers when it cant even get rid of the ones we already have?? 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19904 Posts
                          Posted: June 2, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

L.L.

If more players felt like you, states' pick5 games with odds of 1:~575K and ~$100K jackpots would have more players.  Most states had to have MM and PB size jackpots to get players to even look at their other games with better odds and lower jackpots.

Evil Looking       

Litebets27's avatar - power
                            Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #10465
                            January 14, 2005
                            6065 Posts
                            Posted: June 2, 2012, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

L.L.

When the Lottery Commissions start seeing the money roll in, they are no different then any other big business. The end game is profit. This doesn't includes the players profitting.

We, the players, are the feed that satisfy the gluttenous Lottery agencies and States that benifit from our addictive behaviors.

The agencies know we strive to obtain a dream, a feeling of statisfaction that we get from a big hit, but they don't plan to spread  the wealth as we wish.

They sucker us into more and more games with the longest of odds because they know that we can't HELP OURSELFS.

And Yes, I will be playing again tomorrow!!Thud

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1654 Posts
                              Posted: June 3, 2012, 12:29 am - IP Logged

"I feel that the tiers should be adjusted to where there aren't so many, if any, multi-million dollar prizes. Take all that money and spread it out"

Right LL,

Why does the government keep creating more 1%'ers when it cant even get rid of the ones we already have?? 

Well, because if it makes any sense at all, they simply close the books on it and start all over again. If it makes absolutely no sense, they spend every dime they can muster and run as fast as they can with the idea. I've been telling people for a very long time that if they really want the attention of the lottery commissions, quit buying tickets...any of 'em.

Let them see a sharp drop in sales and, in turn, they'll initiate surveys on what's wrong and how they can fix it. All that money they have came from all of us here...and we do have control. We just refuse to excercise that control. If I could do it, I'd prevent the selling of any kind of ticket for one entire day just to see the impact it makes. If you don't think this would cause some BIG STINK, then you really don't know our Uncle.

If only......

L.L.