Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall finally may has the edge it's been seeking

Topic closed. 122 replies. Last post 4 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 5 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3854 Posts
Posted: June 1, 2012, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I absolutely would have believed the the great LottoBoner was in on that fiasco. Someone had to pick those "random" numbers.

Even at the racetrack...you have the option of voiding the ticket before the race ends...

The one thing we know for sure about the LottoBoner is that he is not a race track beter. If he were he would know that you can only void a ticket before the race BEGINS...... not before it ENDS lol. Those tote machines lock down so tight right before the bell rings that the owner of the track couldn't get them going again.... at least not till the next race starts betting.

OK, I know that's what you meant but what a funny thought of everyone running to "void" there tickets during the race.

I have voided my tickets at the track and felt like a big winner with my money back in my pocket. lol.

Yea, i wondered about that too, never heard of cancelling a ticket unless it was a mistake and you were still @ the bet window.

i thought he ment to say "before the race starts"

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: June 1, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Yea, i wondered about that too, never heard of cancelling a ticket unless it was a mistake and you were still @ the bet window.

i thought he ment to say "before the race starts"

Come to think of it, I do think most tracks have signs that say "Check your ticket BEFORE you leave the window"

But he is right in the sense that it is only a push of a button, at the tellers discretion.

If the PB game is "fixed" so that you cant void a ticket someone is eventually going to get "burned" with a JP winning ticket. And then the person who didn't want it will show up and say "ITS MINE"

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Anybody thinking of spending 350-700 dollars on a lottery game is a dumbass. Like yourself. I hope you never win. Chances are you won't :)

Blush don't ever wish someone never wins...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

Come to think of it, I do think most tracks have signs that say "Check your ticket BEFORE you leave the window"

But he is right in the sense that it is only a push of a button, at the tellers discretion.

If the PB game is "fixed" so that you cant void a ticket someone is eventually going to get "burned" with a JP winning ticket. And then the person who didn't want it will show up and say "ITS MINE"

Sorry, no $ changed hands, you did not complete the transaction.

Thats why money has the " this note is legal tender for all debts public and private "

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

LOL. I was wondering when someone would say that.

I may talk a lot of trash, but I never with anything bad on anyone. LOL.

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

When they make a mistake like that, can they void the ticket or do they have to pay for it. Just curious.

Only pick 3  or pick 4 can be voided.

PB and MM cannot not.

I worked in lottery store for a few years.

Our thermals would just spit out a ticket without anyone being around it.  I would happen at least twice a month. Scary!

When someone didn't take a ticket, we would resell them. We even had customers who would ask for any tickets laying around. That would be the only tickets they would buy.  If we closed with tickets unsold, the owner ate the cost. Any winners from the tickets became hers.Embarassed

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

LOL. I was wondering when someone would say that.

I may talk a lot of trash, but I never with anything bad on anyone. LOL.

Well I hope you do win.. That would be very nice...!Wink

United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3854 Posts
                Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

The back of the PB betslip says " all sales are final and tickets cannot be cancelled "

does not give a reason, i suspect because its a interstate game.

Anyone here from a state where 3 or 4 states share a game, like the dakotas and wyoming ?

Maybe they have a similar rule and explain why.

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3854 Posts
                  Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Only pick 3  or pick 4 can be voided.

PB and MM cannot not.

I worked in lottery store for a few years.

Our thermals would just spit out a ticket without anyone being around it.  I would happen at least twice a month. Scary!

When someone didn't take a ticket, we would resell them. We even had customers who would ask for any tickets laying around. That would be the only tickets they would buy.  If we closed with tickets unsold, the owner ate the cost. Any winners from the tickets became hers.Embarassed

Why are they called thermals ?

Hot #s LOL

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3854 Posts
                    Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

My wife says don't wish anything bad on anyone, or it will happen to you,

funny that, one poster on LP wished i would die  in a car accident.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

My wife says don't wish anything bad on anyone, or it will happen to you,

funny that, one poster on LP wished i would die  in a car accident.

Oh, that's just too funny hay. Sorry but I got a big laugh out of that one. I person has to be quit disturbed to say that to a stranger. I never even thought of saying that to my wife when I was married. lol. Not that I wouldn't have said it.... I just never even thought of it. lol.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: June 1, 2012, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

It's nothin' to do about logic Boner. Speaking for my state at least, I have run across this situation multiple times, with multiple clerks.

If a PB ticket is rung up for a customer (EP or self-pick), you are expected to pay for those tickets. If you change your mind and refuse to pay, I

suppose you could just start fuming, and run out of the store without paying. The terminals are not able to void the PB ticket, hence is the reason

I was able to purchase a $10 "mistake" ticket a few days ago.

You are correct that the pick 3 and pick 4 are able to be voided however. I think the reason for the no-void policy, may have to do with the multi-state

PB agreement. (MUSL). Perhaps some hot-shot know it all, would like to further elaborate on this.  Conehead

I think there's a perfectly logical reason that they won't let you cancel tickets: the state sells a few more tickets that way. I'd be very curious to see what happens if a store accidentally prints two tickets and those numbers are drawn. The player who asked for one ticket paid and accepted the risk in good faith, but the lottery has diluted the value of the prize by erroneously printing an extra ticket.  Their rules definitely say that misprinted tickets aren't valid, and I think I've seen  rules that say tickets "printed in error" aren't valid.

I get the feeling that most stores are fairly liberal about letting customers refuse tickets, but if they print something a customer didn't ask for they don't have any choice if the customer doesn't want it.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: June 1, 2012, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I think there's a perfectly logical reason that they won't let you cancel tickets: the state sells a few more tickets that way. I'd be very curious to see what happens if a store accidentally prints two tickets and those numbers are drawn. The player who asked for one ticket paid and accepted the risk in good faith, but the lottery has diluted the value of the prize by erroneously printing an extra ticket.  Their rules definitely say that misprinted tickets aren't valid, and I think I've seen  rules that say tickets "printed in error" aren't valid.

I get the feeling that most stores are fairly liberal about letting customers refuse tickets, but if they print something a customer didn't ask for they don't have any choice if the customer doesn't want it.

Here is a quote from the duplicate ticket fiasco in AZ. Notice the last line where in AZ lottery said they could take the duplicates in and exchange them. How does the retailer get reimbursed for that??

“I'm really sorry that this occurred obviously,” Hatch-Miller said.  “We would never want it to occur.”

The software update to fix the glitch went into effect overnight.

Out of 3.5 million Quick Pick tickets sold this year, Hatch-Miller says 13 duplicates were printed in Arizona, and one was printed in the state of Washington.

G-Tech says it is in the process of notifying the other 26 states it operates in about the problem.

The Arizona Lottery says customers who received duplicates can exchange them for new ones.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/harper/UPDATE-Mega-Millions-Mystery--146462605.html

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #86154
                            January 30, 2010
                            1648 Posts
                            Posted: June 1, 2012, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Good evening, everyone! I'm really diggin' all this talk about the game changes...supposedly that is. I see where one poster mentioned how a few powerballs were removed to increase odds. Well, that's a start and is in the right direction for players. But, in order for them to REALLY increase the players' odds, they need to do this: Make it to where players can win a decent prize with less numbers matched, be it on the same line or scattered. This is the epitome of increasing winning odds, not just merely raising the starting jackpot amount. 

Again, allowing the player to match fewer numbers for a given prize is the ONLY WAY TO INCREASE OVERALL ODDS. I believe the ideal way to do this is by creating a  "scattered number" type of payout as many players will have 3, 4, and even 5 numbers scattered on a ticket. Just make the scattered payouts less than the same line payouts with and without the PB. This will encourage more people to play as they see it's possible to at least get SOMETHING FOR THEIR EFFORTS.Yes Nod

When players see that they can get something more consistently, they'll play more and the commissions will still make their money. Even with additional lower payouts, everything should still offset due to simply selling more tickets. Makes sense to me.Hurray! What about you? As Frasier Crane would say, "I'm listening..."

L.L.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: June 1, 2012, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Good evening, everyone! I'm really diggin' all this talk about the game changes...supposedly that is. I see where one poster mentioned how a few powerballs were removed to increase odds. Well, that's a start and is in the right direction for players. But, in order for them to REALLY increase the players' odds, they need to do this: Make it to where players can win a decent prize with less numbers matched, be it on the same line or scattered. This is the epitome of increasing winning odds, not just merely raising the starting jackpot amount. 

Again, allowing the player to match fewer numbers for a given prize is the ONLY WAY TO INCREASE OVERALL ODDS. I believe the ideal way to do this is by creating a  "scattered number" type of payout as many players will have 3, 4, and even 5 numbers scattered on a ticket. Just make the scattered payouts less than the same line payouts with and without the PB. This will encourage more people to play as they see it's possible to at least get SOMETHING FOR THEIR EFFORTS.Yes Nod

When players see that they can get something more consistently, they'll play more and the commissions will still make their money. Even with additional lower payouts, everything should still offset due to simply selling more tickets. Makes sense to me.Hurray! What about you? As Frasier Crane would say, "I'm listening..."

L.L.

OK, you mean it will be like one of those slot machines where you can play diagonal lines and vertical lines and squiggly lines and zig zag lines, so that we can pay $40. for a 5 line card instead of $10.????