Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 219 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7313 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Why is it when Ms. Howard says it's possible "to get better odds" because "she gives good examples" you say it's written in stone, but when I say because of a statistical fact thousands of groups of 28 will have five consecutive five number matches in every drawing, you call it a "silly argument"?

Good question stack.

I hope your not confusing the boneyNo Nod with the boner.Yes Nod

My bad.

Got it, Boney is Jimmy current side-kick.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

My bad.

Got it, Boney is Jimmy current side-kick.

Right, as my Mama used to say: a boner in the hand is BETTER than two boneys in the bush......

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7313 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Im glad switching the words around makes you feel BETTER Jimmy. Perhaps I should scrap this thread and start one named.... "Do Ronnie316s number combinations have better odds?

Do you think it would help if I ask him the likelihood of over 19,000 groups of 28 numbers matching five numbers in five consecutive drawings?

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Do you think it would help if I ask him the likelihood of over 19,000 groups of 28 numbers matching five numbers in five consecutive drawings?

I think its an incurable defeatist attitude. Honestly I don't think he is even interested in the lottery.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I have to check out. Have a good night everyone............Sleep

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
            Whiskey Island
            United States
            Member #90216
            April 24, 2010
            12741 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

CajunWin4,

"That why you Must use Wave Form Analysis and Regression Analysis to create the Right Data for Future game play."

Before wasting your time trying to apply these advanced analysis techniques to the Random Processes of the lottery, you really should study what they analyze and what they are typically used for.  Those of us who know what they are and have used them would never dream of applying them to a known random process.  If you believe there is larceny in the ranks of the state programmers of computer generated draws, or short, simple cycles in their RNGs, do you really think they would be dumb enough to generate measurable wave patterns so that anyone other than them could get rich?  And if you think that past results in the ping pong ball machine data has predictive ability, check out the Gambler's Fallacy section here...

http://www.wizardofodds.com/gambling/betting-systems/

--Jimmy4164

I think your too late for Cajun, he already learned how to win while you were out losing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LB ,

Thank you for the Postive Feed Back !!! We can bet these Jackpot Games be it Pick 5 , Pick 6 , Powerball or MegaMillions games . It just takes using the right  Data and Analysis of the Games . If you don't have either of these you will never WIN !!

CW4

United States
              Member #93947
              July 10, 2010
              2180 Posts
              Posted: January 5, 2013, 1:07 am - IP Logged

CajunWin4,

"That why you Must use Wave Form Analysis and Regression Analysis to create the Right Data for Future game play."

Before wasting your time trying to apply these advanced analysis techniques to the Random Processes of the lottery, you really should study what they analyze and what they are typically used for.  Those of us who know what they are and have used them would never dream of applying them to a known random process.  If you believe there is larceny in the ranks of the state programmers of computer generated draws, or short, simple cycles in their RNGs, do you really think they would be dumb enough to generate measurable wave patterns so that anyone other than them could get rich?  And if you think that past results in the ping pong ball machine data has predictive ability, check out the Gambler's Fallacy section here...

--Jimmy4164

P.S.  If the Wizard of Odds didn't enlighten you above, maybe Michael Bluejay will:

http://vegasclick.com/gambling/fallacy.html 

P.S.S.  If you had some good fortune in your play, congratulations!

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: January 5, 2013, 1:46 am - IP Logged

CajunWin4,

--Jimmy4164

P.S.  If the Wizard of Odds didn't enlighten you above, maybe Michael Bluejay will:

http://vegasclick.com/gambling/fallacy.html 

P.S.S.  If you had some good fortune in your play, congratulations!

No NoSpam

United States
                  Member #93947
                  July 10, 2010
                  2180 Posts
                  Posted: January 5, 2013, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Jimmy already explained the effect of standard deviation on probability using his handy dandy Monte Carlo simulation. He will say you just benefited by a better than expected STD and then hypocritically say it's impossible for any number combination to have better odds.

Standard Deviation is a measure of dispersion.  Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occuring.  Each of these measures is derived from data and are independant calculations.

Consequently, to make a reference to "the effect of standard deviation on probability" is ABSURD!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability 

http://www.mathisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html 

--Jimmy4164

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: January 5, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Set of 12 eliminations for MM. Fri. Jan. 4, 2013.

02 14 18 20 22 25 30 36 37 40 43 54

01/04/13 - 01 02 23 25 55    +39

How did you pick your 12 elimination numbers?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: January 5, 2013, 11:07 am - IP Logged

You should read what you're writing and take your own advice.

When I win my jackpot, I will pay you to do it for me.Thumbs Up

I'm retired, I don't work for anyone any more. Thumbs Up  You'll have to find someone else.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #99032
                        October 18, 2010
                        1439 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2013, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Right, as my Mama used to say: a boner in the hand is BETTER than two boneys in the bush......

That joke was in such bad taste...

You basically called your mom a slut....  You should probably take two seconds to think before you post, with all the nonsense you've been posting.

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #99032
                          October 18, 2010
                          1439 Posts
                          Posted: January 5, 2013, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

So is it ok with you to take advantage of a "streak" and win the lottery without regard for the future?

It's impossible and random.  There's no way to see a streak until after it already occured.

It's like playing any other gambling game, and getting lucky in the short term.  Clearly, the house is going to win if you play roulette.  But say your bet is "Red."  It will be impossible to predict when, but eventually, the croupier will spin 10 reds in a row.  You 

Then again I don't know why I'm responding to a statement which literally doesn't make sense.  It's like asking someone "can I fly your Toyota to work tomorrow?  I've got a book report due."

I mean, yeah, I'm fine with anything you do.  I'm just telling you you're wrong.  But it doesn't matter if I show you 1+1 is 2, if you want to believe that for you it's 2.5, you will.

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #99032
                            October 18, 2010
                            1439 Posts
                            Posted: January 5, 2013, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Please explain why one person can play 175k lines for an extended period and never hit 5 of 5 and another person can play 98k lines and hit 5 of 5 over and over and over? Is it just "luck" Boney? Or is it at all remotely possible that there is something more to it? Im just making observations here and asking????

At the very least I would think that putting the buffoon under observation might be in order?

We have.

And you've seen our explanation.  If you refuse to believe basic statistics, then we can't explain reality to you.  We've tried and once realizing that the Bell Curve was based off of STD DEV you realized that you didn't like that word and dismissed it.

Sounds like a YOU problem.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: January 5, 2013, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

We have.

And you've seen our explanation.  If you refuse to believe basic statistics, then we can't explain reality to you.  We've tried and once realizing that the Bell Curve was based off of STD DEV you realized that you didn't like that word and dismissed it.

Sounds like a YOU problem.

Your ignoring the disparity between the two events.............

Page 219 of 353