Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 238 of 353
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: January 14, 2013, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Wow! Somebody is feeling frisky.Jester Laugh

Thanks LottoBoner, as promised I went down to the P.E.F. device in desperate need of relief from N.E.F.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: January 14, 2013, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Dance

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2013, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Sorry Adobea78,

For once, Ronnie316 may have gotten someting PARTLY correct.  I did not claim that studying a scaled down Lotto game would lead to better odds of winning.  What I DID say is that a scaled down Lotto model would provide Ronnie316 with an opportunity to prove that his selection ideas would do that.  From what you've posted here I suspect you would at least agree with that.  Thus far, Ronnie has elected not to take advantage of the demonstration opportunities that a simple (5,2) Lotto provides him with.

Regardless of whether you are working with a Lotto game of 56, 49, 34, or 5 Balls, when you make your selections from a subset of the field, whatever new probabilites you calculate MUST be multipled by the probability that you selected one of the correct subsets, which is always LESS THAN 1.0!

BTW, if you want to vew the context of my use of the word "buffoon" and what lead up to my use of it, you could start with my first post in this thread.  I don't think it's a good use of your time, but here it is...

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/2833733

--Jimmy4164

always  LESS THAN 1.0!

Always?? Really??

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Jimmy says some of the dumbest things. I like his enthusiasm though..........

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2013, 11:51 am - IP Logged

You could try a 4/8 game but that would take us back to a coin flip situation...... 

Which I think is your ultimate goal anyway............

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
            Member #48046
            December 7, 2006
            1699 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2013, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

RJOh was most helpful in posting past results that show the last 35 drawn numbers hit 5 of 5 about 10% of the time. It was interesting to me that "cold streaks" can run about 20 draws at a time and can be "timed"

Stack is right on the money about hitting 5 of 5 consistently enough to "break even" in hopes of hitting a jackpot along the way..;.......

Was that more than 2 sentences????...... precluding me fron proof reading?????

That's right,

Thanks

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19828 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

GMG

I agree, nicely said.  Talking about odds does not add anything to the game nor take away from it.

I would rather hear what someone is doing or some information that might help me in my next game

rather it's mathematically sound sound or not.   With odds of 175+ million to one I don't expect any

one to have a "works every time" solution.    It seems to me that some are scared $hitless by the 

prospect that we might win using our feeble minds. 

RL

"It seems to me that some are scared $hitless by the prospect that we might win using our feeble minds."

Who are they?  There are going to be winners regardless of this thread, it can't be avoided.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

always  LESS THAN 1.0!

Always?? Really??

Yes, always.

1.0 = 100%.  The odds of you picking the right subset of numbers is never 100%.

You can call him dumb, but all you're showing is that you don't know the fundementals of mathemtics.  In probability you can express percentages as numbers, where .5 is 50% and 1.0 is 100%.  So 50% of 10 dollars is .5*$10=$5.

Or did you not know that you could express percentages as a number?  LOL.  And you guys accuse me of not knowing 5th grade math.  This is literally elementary school math.  Forgive me if I don't remember whether it's 4rth or 5th grade.

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #99032
                  October 18, 2010
                  1439 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

You could try a 4/8 game but that would take us back to a coin flip situation...... 

Which I think is your ultimate goal anyway............

A 4/8 game is not a coinflip, bro.  It's 1 in 70.

8*7*6*5/24 orders.  That's 1 in 70.  No wonder you think creating subsets increases your odds.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

A 4/8 game is not a coinflip, bro.  It's 1 in 70.

8*7*6*5/24 orders.  That's 1 in 70.  No wonder you think creating subsets increases your odds.

I think he was saying 4/8 is the same as 1/2 which are the odds of a coin flip.

Evil Looking       

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #99032
                      October 18, 2010
                      1439 Posts
                      Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

He was obviously refering to a 4 out of 8 game, in reference to Jimmy's 2/10 game.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19828 Posts
                        Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

He was obviously refering to a 4 out of 8 game, in reference to Jimmy's 2/10 game.

4/8 and 2/10 games aren't even close as one has 70 possible outcomes and the other only 45.

Evil Looking       

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #99032
                          October 18, 2010
                          1439 Posts
                          Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

I know, but he was obviously comparing them to try to say that the validity of the idea is ridiculous.  (I diagree with that, but that's not the point.)

He was comparing them, but clearly doesn't understand the math behind them.

United States
                            Member #93947
                            July 10, 2010
                            2180 Posts
                            Posted: January 14, 2013, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

GMG

I agree, nicely said.  Talking about odds does not add anything to the game nor take away from it.

I would rather hear what someone is doing or some information that might help me in my next game

rather it's mathematically sound sound or not.   With odds of 175+ million to one I don't expect any

one to have a "works every time" solution.    It seems to me that some are scared $hitless by the 

prospect that we might win using our feeble minds. 

RL

Although your almost snippable hyperbole is an overstatement, there is concern that a big win by someone using one of your glorified Random Number Generators will serve the sad purpose of pushing our country further behind many other nations in math and science because it will convince even more Americans that the Gambler's Fallacy is not really a fallacy and/or that probability theory is not to be trusted.

--Jimmy4164

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19828 Posts
                              Posted: January 14, 2013, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Although your almost snippable hyperbole is an overstatement, there is concern that a big win by someone using one of your glorified Random Number Generators will serve the sad purpose of pushing our country further behind many other nations in math and science because it will convince even more Americans that the Gambler's Fallacy is not really a fallacy and/or that probability theory is not to be trusted.

--Jimmy4164

You don't have to worry about many players using RL's glorified RNG, just the players in his pool use it.  He's no longer posting information about it for the general public to read.

Evil Looking       

Page 238 of 353