Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 262 of 353
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2013, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

That 2004 article really changed the minds of at least two would be lottery players. Seven years later that same "mathematical lottery genius" didn't know what a hit/skip chart was so he couldn't figure out the probabilities. After an explanation, instead of giving any useful ideas, he chose to give his usual opinion on why playing lottery games is a bad bet.

Last night someone won $89 million on probably less than a $10 bet. All the odds and probabilities against winning a huge jackpot are useless information because somebody can win millions for a few bucks. I suppose his mathematical genius doesn't allow much room in his brain for the simple common sense lottery players don't care about the odds, probabilities, and percentages.

In his book he remarked about Nevada players standing in line to play California Super Lotto Plus, but never made the connection. While he was writing his opinion of "lottery nonsense", other professors emeritus from other Universities were designing wheels for Gail Howard.

"Changed" all right. I think they are inside a cocoon and its NOT certain what type of life form will emerge.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #99032
    October 18, 2010
    1439 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

But WAIT...... Is it drivel or drible? (at least drivel is spelled correctly) You guys should at least TRY to get your story strait before you come onto other peoples threads and start badgering them over their ideas and playing strategies.

"But WAIT...... Is it drivel or drible? (at least drivel is spelled correctly) You guys should at least TRY to get your story strait before you come onto other peoples threads and start badgering them over their ideas and playing strategies."

You have a spelling error in the post spelling out my spelling error.

United States
      Member #124493
      March 14, 2012
      7023 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

Does your logic tell you that when a "professor emeritus" designs a "wheel" for a snake oil salesperson, we should assume that professor believes that users of the wheel will enjoy higher returns on their investment in lottery play?

Have you ever considered blanketing Vegas with your resume?  Since you seem to think your understanding of gaming is superior to Don Catlin's, a well worded cover letter might land you a few lucrative consulting contracts. 

You people never cease to amaze me with the depths to which you will sink to keep false hopes alive with your laughable attempts at obfuscation.

--Jimmy4164

TrollMail For YouNo NodTroll

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

When you asked if you were the only one spending $5 on every PB and MM drawings, it kinda threw me.  You're obviously spending more than $120 a month playing these games.  I know I've already spent $200+ this year playing but I also play Ohio's Classic Lotto and Ohio's Rolling Cash5 but I don't play any of these games regularly but I do play one or more of the four twice a week ore more.  Tonight I'll probably play OCL.

No worriesRJOh. A new idea for number combinations that have better odds is to play 5 different lines that 5 different people have already chosen as "favorite" numbers. The P.E.F. will be off the charts as these are lines that people believe in (for whatever reason) and are expecting to win a jackpot. 

maringoman is the only person so far who has been willing to step forward and say, "these are the numbers I play and anyone who wants to play them can play them, and I dont mind sharing the jackpot"

United States
          Member #124493
          March 14, 2012
          7023 Posts
          Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

I Agree!→→→TrollSmash

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!→→→TrollSmash

LOL Now Im being accused of obfuscation.

How does he know what I do in the privacy of my own home What?

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

TrollMail For YouNo NodTroll

Troll

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

"But WAIT...... Is it drivel or drible? (at least drivel is spelled correctly) You guys should at least TRY to get your story strait before you come onto other peoples threads and start badgering them over their ideas and playing strategies."

You have a spelling error in the post spelling out my spelling error.

At least I clicked on spell check and misddddddddddddd it.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Troll

Troll

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

At least I clicked on spell check and misddddddddddddd it.

Mis-Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19816 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

No worriesRJOh. A new idea for number combinations that have better odds is to play 5 different lines that 5 different people have already chosen as "favorite" numbers. The P.E.F. will be off the charts as these are lines that people believe in (for whatever reason) and are expecting to win a jackpot. 

maringoman is the only person so far who has been willing to step forward and say, "these are the numbers I play and anyone who wants to play them can play them, and I dont mind sharing the jackpot"

I don't know if anyone else plays them but I usually post the first 10 lines I play on the prediction board and anyone who think they might be winners is free to play them.  I've always put my money behind the combinations I've posted and usually lost most of it.  I'll get a 0+1 or a 1+1 once in a while.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Ronnie316,

OK, the results are in but you chose to point to your list of 39 numbers rather than the 25 selections you made.  Which of the 25 intersected best with the winning draw?

03  22  26  41  49   (18)

Do you know how many combinations there are of 39 numbers taken 5 at a time and how many tickets you would have had to buy to ensure a 4/5 hit?

I think Pascal and Fermat are still resting peacefully in their graves.

--Jimmy4164

I have posted at least 6-8 different times that 39 numbers leaves 1 in 575k chance of hitting 5 of 5.......

What is up with you dude??

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if anyone else plays them but I usually post the first 10 lines I play on the prediction board and anyone who think they might be winners is free to play them.  I've always put my money behind the combinations I've posted and usually lost most of it.  I'll get a 0+1 or a 1+1 once in a while.

Good idea playing your posted numbers. That's why most people wont post a larger set of numbers. when they come in like mine did it really sucks to NOT win anything at all for all the effort. I got over it though.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

What I'm talking about is people who have numbers they have played every draw for years and years. Mine are birthday numbers and have been played for almost 10 years. 03 09 10 27 28 - 03.

Im not sure how long maringoman has played his 19 23 31 47 56 - 13.

Toronto
                              Canada
                              Member #138397
                              January 26, 2013
                              179 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2013, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Ronnie, I want to ask you this:

Are you looking for people to feed your false hopes, or are you actually looking for a discussion? If it's the former, there's not much to say.

Otherwise, you really just have to face the facts and realize you can't beat the lottery. Every combination gives the same probability of winning. 

There's nothing wrong with believing in yourself, and hoping to win the big one some day, but laughing and using ad hominem against people trying to reason with

logic is simply sad. Just understand that you can't beat the lottery, let it sink in, and if you still dream of winning, great, buy a ticket.

Your problem is that you're disregarding the basics of fundamental mathematics. And honestly, that's fine. If you're psychic and can see the future, great. But then

it seems like that's not what you're claiming; instead you're using some pseudo mathematics; doing some arbitrary calculations to convince yourself of something 

that isn't. You can't simply disregard mathematics completely and then use parts of it arbitrarily to support your argument; it doesn't work that way. Either you

use math or you don't. 

It would do you good to read my post on common fallacies.

Page 262 of 353