Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 275 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
Member #48046
December 7, 2006
1699 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

jimmy4164,

I think you said,  that you like to,  Tinker Around,

with digits

In the last,  25 or so, Draws of Mega Millions,

Last Digital  1  has    "doubled"   FIVE  TIMES

for those who don't know,  which  I'm sure Jimmy does

doubled  would be numbers like

1 and 21,   -or-  11 and 41,    -or-      31 and 51,   or    51 and  21     (you get the idea)

Now in that little time frame theres been more  "doubles"

Digit Three--  3 times

Digit Four--   3 times

Digit Eight--  3 times 

Digit Two--   2 times

Digit Five--    2 times

Digit Seven-- 2 times

Anyway,  Digit  1  going double  5 times in the last, 25 or so draws

should stand out,... at least just a little bit.

Now don't get me wrong,  we know that every number has just as good a chance,

to roll down that tube,  as any other number,

Now... knowing what you know,  in the stats , or example  I mentioned above,

Would  you kinda  lean  towards  Digit  1,   or give it a chance,  in a couple of plays,

when you're filling out your  play-slip?

Also,  it's kinda like RJOH,  said ,...  I'm not here to make myself look good,

or make others look bad,

I Just want to find a way to help myself win

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Find a way to help yourself win?? Expect to be branded as a Troll and a Fraud who is wasting time.

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

And when did you win the jackpot, please?  I must have missed the picture of you holding a giant cardboard check from the Arizona Lottery.

Now your just being childish again. Everyone knows that our ideas for getting better odds are experimental.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

And when did you win the jackpot, please?  I must have missed the picture of you holding a giant cardboard check from the Arizona Lottery.

I did buy tix for MM and PB on Fri and Sat. Did you?

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm not putting anything up because, unlike you, I have nothing to prove.  And didn't Boney match four numbers to your two in the last draw?  By your rules, he already got "better odds" than you.  And you said he couldn't do it...

I dont get it, you guys are the ones who are all hot and bothered about "proving" something. The rest of us are just experimenting and searching for BETTER ways to play and win even if some think it "impossible"

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I'm not putting anything up because, unlike you, I have nothing to prove.  And didn't Boney match four numbers to your two in the last draw?  By your rules, he already got "better odds" than you.  And you said he couldn't do it...

You sound so childish. lol. lol. lol. My rules?? lol. lol. This is a discussion thread. lol. lol. lol. We are playing for fun to see who can hit 5 of 5 the most in 39 draws. Some elaborate rules huh? lol. lol. lol. lol. lol.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 1, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

LOL

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2013, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Except that you choose to define words differently than everybody else.  So everything you've been saying is in "Ronnie English" not plain English.

Boney, your BETTER than all the childish bickering and finger pointing the mediabrat is trying to foster.

You and Jimmy make a great case and I respect that no matter how much I may agree or disagree.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: February 1, 2013, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Again I'm not going to devote my time teaching you about gamblers fallacy.  I assure you, because other players cannot affect the odds of any event, there play will hurt and help you equally.

Have you taken the time to check how many times they hurt you against help you?  Because other people have.  Guess what.  There play has no affect on yours.  Like I said, if you can't stand to watch them "take the dealers bust card" (which isn't really a thing, because the next card could be any card that hasn't been played yet) then you don't have to play.  I assure you that no card counter has every worried that the player to his left would take the dealer's bust card.  And yes, I am saying their dumb play has no affect on my chances of winning.  It's not because I studied that that's true, although it is because I studied that I know that.  If other players affected your results, how in the world do you think it would be possible to count cards?  You'd have to avoid other players like the plague.

If you are not trying to gain an edge, then just play whatever's fun for you.

"because other players cannot affect the odds of any event"

Then you must figure odds different because a standard blackjack game uses 8 decks with 32 Aces and if the player to my right gets an Ace, my chances of getting an Ace are reduced by one. And any other player getting an Ace will effect the odds against getting an Ace.

"I assure you that no card counter has every worried that the player to his left would take the dealer's bust card."

Every card dealt effects the odds and that's exactly why some players count cards. They wait until the remaining cards in the deck favor them and make larger bets.

"Like I said, if you can't stand to watch them "take the dealers bust card" (which isn't really a thing, because the next card could be any card that hasn't been played yet) then you don't have to play."

A card counter sitting on third base makes a huge bet because he knows he has a much better chance of winning the next hand and especially when his hand totals 10. He also knows when the dealer shows a 4, there is a better chance the dealer will bust doubles down. He will double down regardless of the actions of the player to his right, but will see the player with 13 hit, get an Ace and hit 14, get a face and bust. He gets a 6, the dealer gets a 5 and collects the counter's double huge bet. You're saying the player on the right can't effect the odds and I'm saying the player on the right can effect the outcome of the hand.

The counter had everything exactly where he wanted it including the order the cards were dealt. The results show the player took the dealers bust card and that's what the counter saw. I've seen players do that and the next hand, stand on 13 to the dealers face and after seeing how the cards played out knowing you could have won those bets, there is an emotional drain regardless what the odds are. 

"If you are not trying to gain an edge,"

The counter had the edge, the odds were in his favor, he played his hand correctly and the only reason he lost the hand was because of the actions of another player. It's not like poker where the order of cards never changes after every player has two cards and probably why there are more poker tables than blackjack tables.

Is there a mathematical way to prove it "evens out" and a good player will overcome the bad play by another player or are you just guessing?

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: February 1, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Looking back, I see that   Ronnie likes sets of 38 or 39...

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/2898680

This is funny..... Even after we told little jimmy there has never even been a mention of 38 numbers in this thread, he posts a link and says.... "Ronnie likes sets of 38 or 39"

Jimmy is now ragging on BobP with his pessimistic mumbo jumbo. Us optimists know our chances of winning are better when we successfully eliminate some of the 51 MM numbers that won't be drawn, but the pessimists can't comprehend the meaning of the word success.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7344 Posts
                      Posted: February 1, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

So you agree with me that this thread is a complete waste of everyone's time?

"That's a fair question, but it's still based on the fact it's possible. And you're asking that question to people who already know they only have a 1 in 39 chance of giving you the correct answer."

Hey, it's not my fault Ronnie thinks he can do "better" than 1 in 39.

"My best guess, it's out of frustration because he already did something statistical improbable and people are demanding he duplicates it."

You must have missed when he matched all 5 numbers in the second draw and subsequently thought -- and acted like -- he was a god.  Also note his frequent asssertions that it's so easy a caveman could do it.  Actually, his word of choice was "buffoon", but the point's the same.  Any grief he gets in this thread, he has brought upon himself.  All I'm asking him to do is that which he has already claimed is easy for him.

"We've already discussed the title of this thread is some what deceptive, but the discussion has evolved into looking for more effective playing strategies. Considering the fact the players already weighed the risk and reward and the playing strategies discussed here don't increase the odds against, where is the useless information?"

There has been very little, if any, honest discussion about more effective playing strategies.  And the useless part of it is, as you yourself have mentioned several times, we already know how astronomical the odds are.  There is nothing you can do to significantly improve your odds of winning a jackpot short of taking Ronnie's simulation into real life and buying over 98,000 tickets per drawing.  And even then you've only got a 2.5% chance of hitting that jackpot, if I'm doing my math correctly?  That doesn't strike me as a very effective strategy.

"There has been very little, if any, honest discussion about more effective playing strategies."

I haven't been much help in that department either because I need a starting point. How would begin to pick a group of 28 numbers?

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

"There has been very little, if any, honest discussion about more effective playing strategies."

Funny, because I don't see how playing a group of 28 numbers as a strategy could possibly be considered dishonest? After All we are talking about a game that has 3.8 million combination just to hit 5 of 5.

A group of 28 numbers represents a mere 2.6% of the total combinations.

Should I even go further with this "honest discussion" knowing that mediabrat has been derogatory and contentious from the first post on this thread found on page 2.......?

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: February 1, 2013, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Jimmy is now ragging on BobP with his pessimistic mumbo jumbo. Us optimists know our chances of winning are better when we successfully eliminate some of the 51 MM numbers that won't be drawn, but the pessimists can't comprehend the meaning of the word success.

I saw Bob's post about single lines vs. groups of lines and I'm NOT surprised about the hostility.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: February 1, 2013, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Have a good night everyone.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: February 1, 2013, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Sleep