Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 272 of 353
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2013, 9:59 am - IP Logged

A couple of sets to play for 01-30-2012 Powerball drawing.

Set 1: 04-12-13-20-22-24-27-33-37-39-47-50-52-57-58

Set 2: 03-04-07-09-11-12-13-14-15-17-18-21-22-23-25-26-28-29-31-33-34-37-42-43-44-45-48-52-53-54-55-58-59

Jimmy

Looks like 2 of 5 on each set.......

Wednesday, January 30, 2013       14 · 16 · 32 · 47 · 52    16      $151 Million

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Nice work jimjwright

Here are mine for tonight.......

01 02 03 06 07 08 09 11 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 29 30 32 35 36 38 39 40 44 45 46 49 51 54 55 56 59

bonus ball 12

3 of 5 on this draw.......

Wednesday, January 30, 2013        14 · 16 · 32 · 47 · 52    16$151 Million

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:02 am - IP Logged

A smaller powerball set for tonight's draw:

07-10-21-24-32-43-55-59

Jimmy

1 of 5 on this set........ 

Wednesday, January 30, 2013       14 · 16 · 32 · 47 · 52    16        $151 Million

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Last Saturday you played a conditional wheel and the conditions were if you matched five of the numbers, you would have one two number match. Well you didn't match five numbers so end of discussion, but I guess it was more important to the pessimist to point out the end results. The thing is, I noticed without matching five numbers you still had 3 two number matches.

You played a wheel and didn't meet the conditions but still out preformed the wheel guarantee. It looked to me you were trying to get a two number match, got three two number matches, but the pessimist is calling it a failure.

Am I missing something?

They are determined to stay focused on the fight regardless of the ideas (or results) that come to light. I would welcome being proven wrong if anyone could do it with something besides words and name calling.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19900 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

They are determined to stay focused on the fight regardless of the ideas (or results) that come to light. I would welcome being proven wrong if anyone could do it with something besides words and name calling.

"I would welcome being proven wrong if anyone could do it with something besides words and name calling."

Jimmy4164 wanted to know the odds of having all 5 winning numbers in a subset of 38 of the 56 numbers and why a particular subset would have better odds. I assume he missed the beginning of the thread where that was explained along with an explanation of picking numbers from a list of numbers in the order they had most recently occurred in previous drawings.

Had he and other critics read those parts, they could maybe make a more creditable argument for their positions rather than resulting to name calling.   

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7343 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Stack47,

This doesn't sound like the response of a person who is seriousely in search of a method.  Are you reluctant to calculate how many of your subsets of 38 contain the winners because you don't know how, or is it because you know the result, and to publish it here would be embarrassing for you?

--Jimmy4164

"Are you reluctant to calculate how many of your subsets of 38 contain the winners"

I typed 98,280 to 1 many times when we were discussing groups of 28 numbers, but since I never selected a group of 28 numbers, whatever you're asking for doesn't apply to me.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7343 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2013, 11:41 am - IP Logged

"I would welcome being proven wrong if anyone could do it with something besides words and name calling."

Jimmy4164 wanted to know the odds of having all 5 winning numbers in a subset of 38 of the 56 numbers and why a particular subset would have better odds. I assume he missed the beginning of the thread where that was explained along with an explanation of picking numbers from a list of numbers in the order they had most recently occurred in previous drawings.

Had he and other critics read those parts, they could maybe make a more creditable argument for their positions rather than resulting to name calling.   

Aw, that's what he means by "subsets". My bad, for years I've called them "lines" or "combinations". This evening, I'll ask my favorite lottery clerk for 5 random Cash Ball subsets.

If I recall you posted a chart showing how many zero to four number matches a full 28 number wheel has. It showed how many five number matches there are too, but that amount should be self explanatory.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19900 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2013, 11:58 am - IP Logged

Aw, that's what he means by "subsets". My bad, for years I've called them "lines" or "combinations". This evening, I'll ask my favorite lottery clerk for 5 random Cash Ball subsets.

If I recall you posted a chart showing how many zero to four number matches a full 28 number wheel has. It showed how many five number matches there are too, but that amount should be self explanatory.

The only subset I'm really interested in is a subset of 5 with just the winning numbers.  For a while I was trying subsets of 12 when participating in the Maddogs challenges but never matched more than three of the winning numbers.  Everyone is looking for that sweet spot between a subset of five and using all 56 numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7343 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2013, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

The wheels we use were designed by mathematicians, maybe not by a professor emeritus of mathematics and statistics from the University of Massachusetts, but the wheels are mathematically sound. You didn't match your wheel's conditions, but still had 3 two number matches. Our idea is create better opportunities and by getting more two number matches there is a better probability of getting three number matches.

Nobody guaranteed the 25 combo (or should I say subset) wheel will have the five number match we're playing for, but because it can get multiple two number matches without even meeting the conditions, it's better than 25 QPs.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2013, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

The wheels we use were designed by mathematicians, maybe not by a professor emeritus of mathematics and statistics from the University of Massachusetts, but the wheels are mathematically sound. You didn't match your wheel's conditions, but still had 3 two number matches. Our idea is create better opportunities and by getting more two number matches there is a better probability of getting three number matches.

Nobody guaranteed the 25 combo (or should I say subset) wheel will have the five number match we're playing for, but because it can get multiple two number matches without even meeting the conditions, it's better than 25 QPs.

Im still waiting for proof that 50 QP lines have the same odds of hitting 3 of 5 as the 50 lines in a 2 if 5 of 56 wheel ....  With the wheel guarantee of a 2 number match on one of the lines there are only 54 numbers left over, and 3 spaces to fill on that line.....  If randomness has anything to do with it, thats 3 chances in 54.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                      Whiskey Island
                      United States
                      Member #90216
                      April 24, 2010
                      12808 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2013, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Why do I have to win fantasy 5 or whatever other games you mentioned first? Are you saying that people who live in states without these game will never

be able to win the powerball? 

The method is QuickPick. If you say quickpick isn't a method or system, I can easily say that whatever your system is isn't a system or method either. Even

if you win, that's just by luck.

I'm saying if you can't ever Win on a Pick 5 type game a Jackpot game with a System or Method . Don't expect ever to WIN a Powerball or Mega-Millions game. If your buying a QP is just a matter of the Digits matching your Ticket !!!

United States
                        Member #93947
                        July 10, 2010
                        2180 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

"...picking numbers from a list of numbers in the order they had most recently occurred in previous drawings."

You're correct that I didn't read all the early posts in this thread, but I've read enough since I started following it to suspect that the Gambler's Fallacy would be employed to select the subsets of 12, 18, 28, 38, or whatever number is fashionable.  It's no surprise as this fallacy is laughed at and joked about by Numerate people the world over, in many languages.

Although it's a moot point, it's still ironic that during the year I tracked Maddog's Challenge, Stack47, the champion of 38 number subsets, railed on ad nauseam to remind us that most players would/could not play 3168 combos in Powerball or Megamillions, the number required to cover the subset of 12 numbers in the challenges.  Stack47 would be better advised to apply his energies to Blackjack, a game he might possibly do very well at, rather than the lottery.

In my opinion, the only professionals that have a shot at helping people overcome The Gambler's Fallacy are psychologists, but every scholarly article I've linked to has been skoffed at by the loudest Innumerates here.  It takes a humble and intelligent person to admit they might have a stronger than average need to control events surrounding themselves, that ping pong balls have no memories, and that they might be wrong. 

--Jimmy4164

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2013, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Jim your superiority complex is getting really old........ In fact I believe I can be quite certain at this point that you are being annoying on purpose which is the most childish thing I have seen on all of LP.

You keep making the same points over and over and over again. Everyone here knows all about the odds and all about gamblers fallacy, and psychologists, and controlling personalities, and inanimate ping pong balls, and etc, and etc, and etc, and etc, and etc.....................................................................................

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: January 31, 2013, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Talk about a controlling personalities jim??? You are now presuming to tell people how to best spend THEIR time. You are like a one man circus, and perhaps your time would be BETTER spent attacking someone who is actually out there making a living SELLING gamblers fallacy? (The question mark means I'm asking you, NOT telling you)

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: January 31, 2013, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

If you had taken the time to follow RJOh's simple advice jim, and read the first few pages of this thread you may have come to the realization that I (and others) are taking an experimental approach in exploring the question at hand and are NOT oblivious to the conventional school of thought concerning odds.

Page 272 of 353