Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 60 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7344 Posts
Posted: August 20, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

59 pages, 873 replies in a discussion of combinations with better odds and nary a jackpot.

Bang Head

In the last 50 MM drawings, "2" was drawn 12 times and "25" wasn't drawn so we don't need any elaborate math to know the number combos using "2" had better odds of matching five numbers than the combos using "25". Any 50 drawings will show some numbers appeared more than probability, some appeared less, and some times there are numbers that didn't appear at all.

Ronnie suggested using 28 number groups with odds of 39 to 1 starting with an identifiable group and matched five of the numbers. The odds for any 28 number group using "25" were 47 to 1 for 50 drawings because "25" wasn't drawn. A few drawings later, Ronnie's group of 28 numbers again matched all five numbers matched the bonus number so we know it's possible win a jackpot using a group of 28 numbers. We discussed the logistics of playing 98,280 combos, answered the question "do people really risk that much money on a single drawing", and Ronnie proved it's very possible to pick 28 numbers, match five of them, and match the bonus number.

Now that you're up to speed, currently we're looking for 28 number groups that average matching five numbers once in 15 drawings and finding playing and betting strategies that are more logistically and economically feasible. As boring as it sounds to you, we're not discussing or dreaming about how we'll spend the winnings after buying a QP; we're actually looking for logical ways win a jackpot.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
    NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    12098 Posts
    Posted: August 20, 2012, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I like LuckyLoser

I also agree with Thrifty, that there's more losers, than winners.

But Thrifty...... If you Had the winning nubers on your Ticket,   I don't think that they  'Hurry- Up'   and switch it to a pre -draw

just so you'll lose.

The lottery is a comulative thing. Lottery games with low playership do not generate too many jackpot winners because of the low number of combinations in play. High playership games like MM and PB generate more jackpot winners because a higher number of combinations are in played. It is the reason you see a player winning a jackpot with a single line.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1654 Posts
      Posted: August 20, 2012, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

The lottery is a numbers game= buying more tickets increases your chances of winning.  You need to have a lottery stop loss limit though.

That sounds very reasonable to me, Thrifty. It's just very, very hard to pin the whole combination with so many numbers involved. Consistency actually produces the best wins, though, because a given set of numbers simply cannot go undrawn for ever. If you were to consistently play all even, or, odd numbers in the first (5) positions, you'd have to hit a number or two at some point and time. Hey, let the machine do all the homework with trying to miss your numbers for a change. Look at what happened with that lady from Virginia...she stuck with her same sentimental numbers and the machine just couldn't miss her's on that draw.....TWICE!!!!

People really put way too much stock into systems for a game of this magnitude. Maybe, just maybe the QP's that lost on last draw might win on the next draw...Eek Who knows? Is this unreasonable? Is it possible? How many discarded self, or, QP's out there that didn't win on a given draw were thrown away and actually won on the next draw BUT JUST WEREN'T PLAYED? 

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm." People toss self picks and QP's after they lose on every draw. I know for sure there are some post-play winners out there...there has to be. I'm afraid of having a dedicated set of numbers because they'll hit just when I can't or don't play 'em.

L.L. 

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
        Member #48046
        December 7, 2006
        1699 Posts
        Posted: August 20, 2012, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

That sounds very reasonable to me, Thrifty. It's just very, very hard to pin the whole combination with so many numbers involved. Consistency actually produces the best wins, though, because a given set of numbers simply cannot go undrawn for ever. If you were to consistently play all even, or, odd numbers in the first (5) positions, you'd have to hit a number or two at some point and time. Hey, let the machine do all the homework with trying to miss your numbers for a change. Look at what happened with that lady from Virginia...she stuck with her same sentimental numbers and the machine just couldn't miss her's on that draw.....TWICE!!!!

People really put way too much stock into systems for a game of this magnitude. Maybe, just maybe the QP's that lost on last draw might win on the next draw...Eek Who knows? Is this unreasonable? Is it possible? How many discarded self, or, QP's out there that didn't win on a given draw were thrown away and actually won on the next draw BUT JUST WEREN'T PLAYED? 

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm." People toss self picks and QP's after they lose on every draw. I know for sure there are some post-play winners out there...there has to be. I'm afraid of having a dedicated set of numbers because they'll hit just when I can't or don't play 'em.

L.L. 

Yea I was good with what Thrifty said too

I'm also good with being a  Partial  Q-picker     where I pick a few numbers  that I think will Hit (mabey giving me a little edge

and quick-picking the rest  in the same play  (lucky random)

I saw where   41-- and  59   Hit in PB Saturday   and  that ONE little combo seems to Hit alot     I didn't make it to the stre though,, and yes I play that little combo almost every Draw for PB     

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.....  Bang Head

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
          NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          12098 Posts
          Posted: August 20, 2012, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

L.L. 

Playing MM and PB on every draw is a bad bet, for that matter any lottery game.

The current large jackpot is the result of a long string of games when the house did win. Cumulative-jackpot lotteries such as Powerball are essentially a massive transfer of value from the dupes who play when the jackpot is small to the wiser ones who wait until the jackpot is big, with the house taking a healthy cut along the way. Here's the one piece of solid advice in this column: If you play Powerball every day, stop playing Powerball every day. If your dollar can be spent for a 1 in 80 million chance of $10M or a 1 in 80 million chance of $120M why would you choose the former?  By Jordan Ellenberg.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Texas
            United States
            Member #86154
            January 30, 2010
            1654 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2012, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Yea I was good with what Thrifty said too

I'm also good with being a  Partial  Q-picker     where I pick a few numbers  that I think will Hit (mabey giving me a little edge

and quick-picking the rest  in the same play  (lucky random)

I saw where   41-- and  59   Hit in PB Saturday   and  that ONE little combo seems to Hit alot     I didn't make it to the stre though,, and yes I play that little combo almost every Draw for PB     

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.....  Bang Head

Nothing wrong with mixing up a bit...one number is just as good as the next most of the time. I find myself being drawn into these games when I look at the results because it seems easy. Pairing up (permutating) a reasonable number of combinations can get very, very expensive here, though.

L.L.

Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1654 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2012, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Playing MM and PB on every draw is a bad bet, for that matter any lottery game.

The current large jackpot is the result of a long string of games when the house did win. Cumulative-jackpot lotteries such as Powerball are essentially a massive transfer of value from the dupes who play when the jackpot is small to the wiser ones who wait until the jackpot is big, with the house taking a healthy cut along the way. Here's the one piece of solid advice in this column: If you play Powerball every day, stop playing Powerball every day. If your dollar can be spent for a 1 in 80 million chance of $10M or a 1 in 80 million chance of $120M why would you choose the former?  By Jordan Ellenberg.

Every new draw is completely independent of the last one...with up to (5) "because we can" fun draws between them. A person can win $280M today, and someone else can win the bare minimum on the very next draw. If noone wins the $280M on the last draw, those combinations are gone and the odds start all over for the next draw. Only the total ticket sales leading up to the next draw may have a bearing on a possible winner...not how many sold last draw.

L.L.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                Member #48046
                December 7, 2006
                1699 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2012, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

In the last 50 MM drawings, "2" was drawn 12 times and "25" wasn't drawn so we don't need any elaborate math to know the number combos using "2" had better odds of matching five numbers than the combos using "25". Any 50 drawings will show some numbers appeared more than probability, some appeared less, and some times there are numbers that didn't appear at all.

Ronnie suggested using 28 number groups with odds of 39 to 1 starting with an identifiable group and matched five of the numbers. The odds for any 28 number group using "25" were 47 to 1 for 50 drawings because "25" wasn't drawn. A few drawings later, Ronnie's group of 28 numbers again matched all five numbers matched the bonus number so we know it's possible win a jackpot using a group of 28 numbers. We discussed the logistics of playing 98,280 combos, answered the question "do people really risk that much money on a single drawing", and Ronnie proved it's very possible to pick 28 numbers, match five of them, and match the bonus number.

Now that you're up to speed, currently we're looking for 28 number groups that average matching five numbers once in 15 drawings and finding playing and betting strategies that are more logistically and economically feasible. As boring as it sounds to you, we're not discussing or dreaming about how we'll spend the winnings after buying a QP; we're actually looking for logical ways win a jackpot.

I Agree! 

Well Put,  especially for  newer members who happen to stumble into this Topic

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19900 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2012, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

59 pages, 873 replies in a discussion of combinations with better odds and nary a jackpot.

Bang Head

Did you really think 900 replies in a discussion of combinations with better odds could product a jackpot winner in a games with odds of 1:75M to win it? Naughty  Has it ever happened in a discussion about a pick4 game with odds of 1:10K of winning the top prize or in a discussion about a pick5 game with odds of 1:100K-600K of winning its top prize?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10391 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2012, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

I realize everything you said in a post above. My point was that the lotteries always are, and always will be ahead of the players (legitimate lotteries).

Looking at the results drawing after drawing I don't see anyone popping any 5 + 1's repeatedly or consistently. And if someone did the game would change.

As for 98,280 combos and such, there's a saying in Vegas, "You bet your mind, you lose your mind."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1654 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2012, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

I realize everything you said in a post above. My point was that the lotteries always are, and always will be ahead of the players (legitimate lotteries).

Looking at the results drawing after drawing I don't see anyone popping any 5 + 1's repeatedly or consistently. And if someone did the game would change.

As for 98,280 combos and such, there's a saying in Vegas, "You bet your mind, you lose your mind."

Well, this is what happened some years ago, 'Toss. A group of people, or, company spent some real heavy money on a very reasonable amount of combinations for the lottery in Virginia I believe. They won....and made a handsome profit to split up. After that, they somehow implemented restrictions on the game. RJOh and I actually talked about this and he has more details on it than I do. In a nutshell, though, it can be done with the right amount of money and corresponding combinations.

In regards to Ronnie316's project, this is how it should go down: With 98,280 combos, I'd go to a bank and simply borrow $1M. This would allow me to play (10) draws, and, so long as I HIT BEFORE MY MONEY RUNS OUT, I'M MAKING PROFIT ON THE $1M. Make sense? At $100K per draw, if you hit within (5) draws, you make $500K in pure profit while recovering your expense of $500K as well. This is based on the (5) out of (6) match, and, assumming the prize is $1M.

Players do this every single day on Pick 3/4...and I know a few of 'em. The example above is for reference purposes only, okay. But, it is a real world basis in terms of how to approach such a win of that magnitude. Consistency will produce wins with the right amount of money (combinations) involved. No way around it.

L.L.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10391 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2012, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

L.L.,

If I remember right, it was a group of people from Australia, and because of them Virginia (and other states)passed a rule that no one can tie up a terminal.

So good luck submitting 98,280 sets of numbers. That would be 19,656 playslips.

"Excuse me, this will take a little while".

Yeah, I know, it would be team play in different locations, but still.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2012, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Well, this is what happened some years ago, 'Toss. A group of people, or, company spent some real heavy money on a very reasonable amount of combinations for the lottery in Virginia I believe. They won....and made a handsome profit to split up. After that, they somehow implemented restrictions on the game. RJOh and I actually talked about this and he has more details on it than I do. In a nutshell, though, it can be done with the right amount of money and corresponding combinations.

In regards to Ronnie316's project, this is how it should go down: With 98,280 combos, I'd go to a bank and simply borrow $1M. This would allow me to play (10) draws, and, so long as I HIT BEFORE MY MONEY RUNS OUT, I'M MAKING PROFIT ON THE $1M. Make sense? At $100K per draw, if you hit within (5) draws, you make $500K in pure profit while recovering your expense of $500K as well. This is based on the (5) out of (6) match, and, assumming the prize is $1M.

Players do this every single day on Pick 3/4...and I know a few of 'em. The example above is for reference purposes only, okay. But, it is a real world basis in terms of how to approach such a win of that magnitude. Consistency will produce wins with the right amount of money (combinations) involved. No way around it.

L.L.

Your logic is well thought out LL, and there are plenty of people who would gladly spend a million if 5+1 could be hit in 10 draws. But it is very unlikely to happen in that way. I hit 5+1 in 18 draws only because my TIMING was very good, not only with the 5+0 aspect but also with the bonus aspect.

The bonus is a separate part of the game. The 5+0 part is a 1 in 3.8 million game NOT a 1 in 175 million. Combining the odds on the two parts makes it confusing and mentally impossible. I made the game mentally possible by getting BETTER ODDS on the 1 in 3.8 million part of the game and good TIMING on the 1 in 46 part of the game.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2012, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

I that case Coin Toss all I need to do is win a live 5+1 before they start changing the game on me. Preferable in tomorrow nights drawing.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2012, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

There has been 79 of those so called "easy" wins since the last matrix change.

07/08/21 1/ 1 2/ 1 4/ 3 5/ 4 6/ 4
                              06/02/17 1/ 1 3/ 2 4/ 3 5/ 3 6/ 4
                              11/07/19 1/ 1 2/ 2 3/ 3 4/ 4 5/ 5
                              06/09/29 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 2 5/ 4 7/ 5
                              12/07/10 1/ 1 2/ 2 3/ 2 7/ 5 9/ 6
                              11/09/02 1/ 1 2/ 3 3/ 3 4/ 3 5/ 6
                              09/10/20 1/ 1 2/ 2 3/ 2 4/ 5 5/ 6
                              07/06/19 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 2 5/ 4 6/ 6
                              07/02/16 1/ 2 2/ 2 3/ 3 6/ 4 7/ 6
                              06/08/01 1/ 1 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 4 5/ 6
                              05/12/13 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 6 4/ 6 5/ 6
                              12/03/09 1/ 1 2/ 4 3/ 5 4/ 5 5/ 7
                              10/10/01 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 3 5/ 6 6/ 7
                              10/09/28 1/ 1 2/ 1 4/ 7 5/ 7 6/ 7
                              10/08/20 1/ 4 2/ 5 4/ 5 5/ 6 6/ 7
                              10/08/17 1/ 1 2/ 5 3/ 5 4/ 7 5/ 7
                              08/10/14 1/ 1 2/ 2 3/ 2 4/ 3 8/ 7
                              08/10/03 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 3 4/ 4 7/ 7
                              08/02/29 1/ 1 2/ 2 4/ 4 5/ 7 6/ 7
                              06/01/17 1/ 2 2/ 2 5/ 5 6/ 6 8/ 7
                              11/09/13 1/ 1 2/ 3 3/ 4 5/ 7 6/ 8
                              10/06/04 1/ 1 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 5 5/ 8
                              10/04/16 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 8 6/ 8
                              10/01/22 1/ 5 2/ 5 3/ 6 4/ 6 5/ 8
                              09/01/06 1/ 1 2/ 1 4/ 3 5/ 5 8/ 8
                              08/06/27 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 3 4/ 4 7/ 8
                              07/10/05 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 3 5/ 7 7/ 8
                              06/12/19 1/ 3 2/ 4 3/ 5 4/ 7 5/ 8
                              06/09/26 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 6 6/ 8
                              05/12/30 1/ 3 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 4 6/ 8
                              12/08/10 1/ 2 2/ 2 3/ 3 5/ 6 6/ 9
                              12/06/19 1/ 1 2/ 4 3/ 5 5/ 7 6/ 9
                              12/04/06 1/ 2 2/ 3 4/ 4 7/ 9 8/ 9
                              11/11/08 1/ 2 3/ 6 4/ 6 6/ 7 7/ 9
                              11/07/01 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 1 6/ 7 8/ 9
                              11/05/20 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 6 4/ 7 5/ 9
                              10/10/19 1/ 1 2/ 2 5/ 6 7/ 7 8/ 9
                              10/06/29 1/ 1 2/ 3 3/ 4 5/ 7 7/ 9
                              10/06/22 1/ 2 2/ 2 5/ 5 8/ 9 9/ 9
                              09/12/22 1/ 5 2/ 6 4/ 7 5/ 8 6/ 9
                              09/12/18 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 3 5/ 7 6/ 9
                              08/12/30 1/ 1 2/ 2 4/ 7 5/ 8 6/ 9
                              08/12/05 1/ 2 2/ 3 5/ 7 6/ 7 7/ 9
                              08/12/02 1/ 2 2/ 2 3/ 2 6/ 7 8/ 9
                              08/11/28 1/ 3 2/ 4 3/ 6 5/ 9 6/ 9
                              07/03/02 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 4 6/ 8 8/ 9
                              07/01/23 1/ 2 2/ 3 4/ 6 5/ 7 7/ 9
                              06/03/21 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 3 5/ 7 7/ 9
                              05/11/08 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 3 4/ 6 6/ 9
                              05/09/23 1/ 2 2/ 4 3/ 8 4/ 9 5/ 9
                              12/04/13 1/ 5 2/ 6 3/ 7 4/ 9 7/10
                              12/02/24 1/ 2 2/ 2 3/ 3 4/ 4 6/10
                              11/09/30 1/ 1 2/ 2 4/ 6 5/ 8 6/10
                              11/06/14 1/ 3 2/ 3 3/ 6 4/ 7 6/10
                              11/04/05 1/ 1 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 7 8/10
                              11/01/04 1/ 3 2/ 4 3/ 6 4/ 8 5/10
                              10/09/14 1/ 9 2/ 9 3/10 4/10 5/10
                              09/06/26 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 5 5/10
                              09/04/28 1/ 1 2/ 2 3/ 5 5/ 9 7/10
                              09/02/24 1/ 1 2/ 2 3/ 2 4/ 3 9/10
                              08/11/11 1/ 2 2/ 5 3/ 6 4/ 7 6/10
                              08/10/10 1/ 4 2/ 5 3/ 6 5/10 6/10
                              08/06/03 1/ 2 2/ 2 3/ 3 7/ 8 8/10
                              06/07/11 1/ 4 2/ 5 3/ 7 4/10 5/10
                              06/06/23 1/ 3 2/ 4 3/ 7 4/ 7 6/10
                              06/04/07 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 4 4/ 5 7/10
                              06/03/28 1/ 1 2/ 5 3/ 7 4/ 8 5/10
                              12/06/01 1/ 1 2/ 3 4/ 9 7/10 8/11
                              12/01/31 1/ 3 2/ 3 5/ 7 7/10 8/11
                              11/06/28 1/ 3 2/ 3 3/ 5 6/11 7/11
                              11/02/22 1/ 4 3/ 5 4/ 6 5/ 6 7/11
                              10/10/08 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 7 5/11 6/11
                              10/01/19 1/ 1 2/ 1 3/ 2 4/ 5 7/11
                              09/04/14 1/ 2 2/ 3 3/ 3 5/ 5 8/11
                              09/02/17 1/ 7 2/ 8 3/ 8 4/10 5/11
                              07/08/14 1/ 4 2/ 6 3/10 4/10 5/11
                              07/03/16 1/ 2 2/ 2 3/ 8 4/ 8 5/11
                              07/01/19 1/ 1 3/10 4/11 5/11 6/11
                              05/11/25 1/ 3 2/ 4 3/ 5 6/ 9 7/11

Thanks RJOh, I will start with the last one. 11 draws represents 55 numbers minus repeats. The total list without repeats is 36. I need 8 eliminations to bring the list to 28 and 16 to bring the list to 20.

RNG eliminations: 43 12 50 31 17 36 29 32, 46 03 55 25 34 53 54 04

Tuesday, November 22, 200509 · 22 · 37 · 41 · 43    + 303$16 Million
                              Friday, November 18, 200508 · 18 · 21 · 42 · 46    + 114$12 Million
                              Tuesday, November 15, 200502 · 04 · 05 · 40 · 48    + 074$315 Million
                              Friday, November 11, 200509 · 14 · 34 · 50 · 51    + 404$262 Million
                              Tuesday, November 08, 200508 · 16 · 21 · 25 · 27    + 163$225 Million
                              Friday, November 04, 200507 · 09 · 41 · 53 · 54    + 383$192 Million
                              Tuesday, November 01, 200505 · 18 · 21 · 28 · 36    + 204$165 Million
                              Friday, October 28, 200508 · 17 · 25 · 28 · 53    + 013$147 Million
                              Tuesday, October 25, 200507 · 12 · 18 · 31 · 55    + 304$128 Million
                              Friday, October 21, 200511 · 17 · 28 · 29 · 36    + 423$108 Million
                              Tuesday, October 18, 200503 · 12 · 16 · 32 · 33    + 15

28 group

02 03 04 05 07 08 09 11 14 16 18 21 22 25 27 28 33 34 37 40 41 42 46 48 51 53 54 55 

20 group

02 05 07 08 09 11 14 16 18 21 22 27 28 33 37 40 41 42 48 51

Page 60 of 353