Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cali Powerball players: How much wagering for first draw?

Topic closed. 84 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

California Powerball players: how many lines will you play for the first draw April 10th?

0: going to wait till the jackpot is bigger [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
1: all it takes is 1 [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
2-4: I always have a few favorite numbers [ 4 ]  [36.36%]
5-10: I'll play a bunch, since it's the first PB [ 2 ]  [18.18%]
11-20: more than normal [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
>20: all in baby!!! [ 3 ]  [27.27%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2013, 11:56 am - IP Logged

The Powerball playslips are already out, and play starts tomorrow April 8th.

So California Powerball players: how many lines will you play for the first draw April 10th? More than or same as you play Mega Millions?

Sure the jackpot is *only* $60M right now, but will likely increase several million from Cali players contribution by the time the draw comes around.

I'll probably play 10 lines, as if it was a larger Mega Millions draw. 5 SP and 5 QP on one ticket.

PowerballPlayslip

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2013, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

I am not in Cali but if I lived there I would buy one quick pick and then play that combination for the rest of my PB life or until it hits. Goodluck Californians and welcome to PB

That money's gone fo ever

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2013, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

For the April 10th draw, Powerball is $60 million annuity or $38.9 million cash value. Each ticket is $2.

For the April 9th draw, Mega Millions is $56 million annuity or $42.3 million cash value. Each ticket is $1.

All I care about is the cash value and right now Mega Millions has the larger cash value and tickets are half the price of Powerball.

They couldn't have timed this any worse.

I bet California Lottery officials are wishing they launched Powerball a few weeks back when the jackpot was over $300 million. LOL

I would still buy tickets for Powerball because I believe in beginner's luck and I've been the recipient of beginner's luck in the past.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2013, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Going to play 3 lines , no more no less. The present PB jackpot is almost identical to the MM jackpot but the payout is lower as Whiteballz put it..When it gets above $150 mil, l probably will get 5-10 lines at the very most. That winner from Arizona won half the pot with 5 lines even though the convenient store clerk wanted to sell him 10 lines.He was adamant" 5 lines if you please"
        So you see- there is a method to my madness, all all it takes is one ticket to " close the deal " as Arnold liked to say despite him being a lousy governor.
        California lottery official do not hope they would have started PB earlier, if you recall they announced the start date for California in the midst of the MM frenzy back in Nov some 5 months hence.Its called Californian dreaming dude-there is  no urgency, once the winning starts we hope its not joined by whining from other States.Let the games begin.
        Dance

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2013, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, would have been nice if it didn't hit on 3/30 and continued to roll till now. Still, it's the inaugural Powerball for California! Didn't matter what the jackpot was, I would still play 10 lines even if it was just $40M, just for fun to see how it is the first time. After that, just 1 or 2 lines each draw, unless its over $200M.

I bet they are counting on a lot of people like me, who don't care about the ticket price difference or the jackpot amount relative to MM, and will just add it as another game to play. Kinda the reason for the poll, I'm wondering how much higher or lower PB revenue will be compared to MM for first draw. MM is nominally around $3,000,000 each draw, but higher as jackpot increases.(currently about $4M) If PB has same number of plays/lines as MM, then that would be $6,000,000-$8,000,000 revenue from sales. So will it be more or less than that first time? I'd guess more.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2013, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, would have been nice if it didn't hit on 3/30 and continued to roll till now. Still, it's the inaugural Powerball for California! Didn't matter what the jackpot was, I would still play 10 lines even if it was just $40M, just for fun to see how it is the first time. After that, just 1 or 2 lines each draw, unless its over $200M.

I bet they are counting on a lot of people like me, who don't care about the ticket price difference or the jackpot amount relative to MM, and will just add it as another game to play. Kinda the reason for the poll, I'm wondering how much higher or lower PB revenue will be compared to MM for first draw. MM is nominally around $3,000,000 each draw, but higher as jackpot increases.(currently about $4M) If PB has same number of plays/lines as MM, then that would be $6,000,000-$8,000,000 revenue from sales. So will it be more or less than that first time? I'd guess more.

I think for the most part, the majority of people play for the amount posted.e.g.( $300mil)  They don't say " so after taxes  l'm only getting that?"
            White Bounce

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
              Nutley, New Jersey
              United States
              Member #131058
              August 1, 2012
              875 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2013, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

I think for the most part, the majority of people play for the amount posted.e.g.( $300mil)  They don't say " so after taxes  l'm only getting that?"
              White Bounce

That is why there are some lottery winners that get into financial hardship, they never think about how much the government will take. The Powerball is at $60 million annuity or $38.9 million cash value. If there was one winner from California and they chose the lump sum, they would get to keep about $23.5 million after 39.6% federal income tax. Luckily, California doesn't have state tax on lottery winnings.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

In a perfect world California would have to wait until Powerball returns to it's base jackpot of 40 million before being allowed to play.

And that is as it should be, because the way it is now they will be playing for a pot that was built without any help from them.

But I'm not the type who would bring that up. Far be it from me.

They should though, all of them, face east toward the Mighty Appalachians and bow down and cry out in unison: "We are not worthy!" ten times.

And let that be their pound of flesh.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19830 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

In the other states, paying $2 per lines for a PB ticket guarantees the player matching 5+0 wins $1M, what are Californians guaranteed? 

A $2 per line MM ticket may be a better deal for them not to mention they can win the jackpot with the bigger cash value with a $1 ticket.

I don't live in California and I would choose to buy some MM tickets rather than PB.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball playslips are already out, and play starts tomorrow April 8th.

So California Powerball players: how many lines will you play for the first draw April 10th? More than or same as you play Mega Millions?

Sure the jackpot is *only* $60M right now, but will likely increase several million from Cali players contribution by the time the draw comes around.

I'll probably play 10 lines, as if it was a larger Mega Millions draw. 5 SP and 5 QP on one ticket.

PowerballPlayslip

You cant get 10 lines all on one ticket unless you play all QPs.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                      California
                      United States
                      Member #112364
                      June 17, 2011
                      661 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Duet to limited budget, I would just buy one ticket.

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps your saying you get 5 QPs on one ticket, instead of on separate tickets. That sounds good to me because I do the same and sometimes get 10 QPs on one ticket just to see the crazy thing.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Duet to limited budget, I would just buy one ticket.

With or without Powerplay?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

If I was only buying one, Id get me the powerplay for certin.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                              California
                              United States
                              Member #112364
                              June 17, 2011
                              661 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Powerplay is not available in CA.