Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cali Powerball players: How much wagering for first draw?

Topic closed. 84 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

California Powerball players: how many lines will you play for the first draw April 10th?

0: going to wait till the jackpot is bigger [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
1: all it takes is 1 [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
2-4: I always have a few favorite numbers [ 4 ]  [36.36%]
5-10: I'll play a bunch, since it's the first PB [ 2 ]  [18.18%]
11-20: more than normal [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
>20: all in baby!!! [ 3 ]  [27.27%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2013, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

It's a one time splurge because the jackpot exceeded $300,000. As expected, I lost money. I wouldn't do it anymore.

You can't force a win. Brute force seldom works. (well, except for the discontinued MA Cash Winfall)

I've seen some people drop hundreds of dollars on Jackpot games like Superlotto and Mega Millions. I myself never played more than a couple 10 line tickets even when the jackpot was really high. Funny thing is, you never see one of those huge jackpot winners being a power player like that with hundreds of picks. Mostly some poor schmuck that only played a few quick pick lines.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2013, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

You can't force a win. Brute force seldom works. (well, except for the discontinued MA Cash Winfall)

I've seen some people drop hundreds of dollars on Jackpot games like Superlotto and Mega Millions. I myself never played more than a couple 10 line tickets even when the jackpot was really high. Funny thing is, you never see one of those huge jackpot winners being a power player like that with hundreds of picks. Mostly some poor schmuck that only played a few quick pick lines.

I read that Jack Whittaker, the famous PB winner bought a hundred QPs when he won and about a Michigan swimming pool salesman sharing a large BigGame(now MegaMillions) jackpot with a player from Illinois after paying for his hot dog at a gas station with a hundred dollar bill and taking his change in QPs.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2013, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

are you going to get your tickets Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday?

Hollywood, fl
        United States
        Member #140096
        March 10, 2013
        376 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2013, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

I bought 100 tickets QP for Fantasy 5 and I got 5 lines per ticket with a self service machine.

How did you know that the jackpot for the fantasy 5 was going to exceed 300,000? I thouht you only find that out after the drawing?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4145 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2013, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

For me personally: l am in no hurry to get them. The PB estimate is pretty close to the MM and the price is HALF.l will prob buy 2-3 tickets on Wednesday as a welcoming gesture- would be awesome if l won though.

l would have Ridge flown out to California to see the Pacific Ocean.Dance

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
            California
            United States
            Member #112364
            June 17, 2011
            661 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2013, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

How did you know that the jackpot for the fantasy 5 was going to exceed 300,000? I thouht you only find that out after the drawing?

Well no. Just like with any other draw games, the lottery post the estimated jackpot. If the jackpot is 300K or very close to it, I buy a ticket.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
              Member #133462
              September 30, 2012
              5946 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2013, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

For me personally: l am in no hurry to get them. The PB estimate is pretty close to the MM and the price is HALF.l will prob buy 2-3 tickets on Wednesday as a welcoming gesture- would be awesome if l won though.

If Ridge let's Cali win this first JP, he won't be able to show his face in any saloon in TN. Krogers will be barred from selling him grapes in anticipation that he may let them ferment. Jack Daniels? He wants to see those words he better go on ancestors.com to search for distant cousins by that name!

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2013, 1:55 am - IP Logged

I'll probably try to get my ticket (single 10 line) on Monday during lunchtime, to see if they got any issues during their lottery terminal update and stuff on the first day. I assume the calottery.com website will be updated sometime after midnight.

Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: April 8, 2013, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I see the calottery.com website updated this morning with Powerball info. And on the local morning news, they got the reporters out at the stores talking about the Powerball launch and buying their tickets, like you would see them do if it was a large >300M jackpot.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6305 Posts
                    Posted: April 8, 2013, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I see the calottery.com website updated this morning with Powerball info. And on the local morning news, they got the reporters out at the stores talking about the Powerball launch and buying their tickets, like you would see them do if it was a large >300M jackpot.

Welcome to the PB MadnessDance

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                      Member #133462
                      September 30, 2012
                      5946 Posts
                      Posted: April 8, 2013, 10:16 am - IP Logged

How could you watch this and NOT rush out with the mortgage payment to play the Powerball? Crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MRnrR_JdU

"Everything works  ONCE!"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: April 8, 2013, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Oh, I've seen enough of the Pacific, believe me. Thanks anyway though.

I've been to your city there too. Never saw so many bums, dopers, freaks, weirdos and scuzzy lookin' punks on skateboards in my life.

Alcatraz was cool though.

Maybe I'll fly you out here and take ya out honky-tonkin' if I win.

Then like Jerry Lee Lewis once said:

"I'm gonna sharpen up my razor

Case some cat might wanna fight"

Yeah, we'll have a good ol' time.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: April 8, 2013, 10:49 am - IP Logged

How could you watch this and NOT rush out with the mortgage payment to play the Powerball? Crazy

Wow. Thanks Original Bey perhaps there is a god (for CA) after all?

Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103813
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: April 8, 2013, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Oh man, every time I see one of their high production value commercials, just makes sick.

Why do they need to waste money making some fancy schmantsy commercial? This shizit sells itself! They got ads plastered on every corner in every liquor store, convenience store and grocery store. Everyone knows about the lottery, and the news covers it too.

Just reminds me of more government waste like the GSA spending millions of dollars on lavish conferences in Vegas. CA Lottery could be putting those wasteful advertising dollars towards more prizes, or reduce their already high administrative overhead.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: April 8, 2013, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Oh man, every time I see one of their high production value commercials, just makes sick.

Why do they need to waste money making some fancy schmantsy commercial? This shizit sells itself! They got ads plastered on every corner in every liquor store, convenience store and grocery store. Everyone knows about the lottery, and the news covers it too.

Just reminds me of more government waste like the GSA spending millions of dollars on lavish conferences in Vegas. CA Lottery could be putting those wasteful advertising dollars towards more prizes, or reduce their already high administrative overhead.

I Agree! AZ spends millions by the wheelbarrow load on a game that pays $1000 per week for ONE year.