Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cali Powerball players: How much wagering for first draw?

Topic closed. 84 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

California Powerball players: how many lines will you play for the first draw April 10th?

0: going to wait till the jackpot is bigger [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
1: all it takes is 1 [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
2-4: I always have a few favorite numbers [ 4 ]  [36.36%]
5-10: I'll play a bunch, since it's the first PB [ 2 ]  [18.18%]
11-20: more than normal [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
>20: all in baby!!! [ 3 ]  [27.27%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
Member #133462
September 30, 2012
5946 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Not an option for them.

12. PowerPlay:  Some states offer PowerPlay and California will not. Why? 
 • California will NOT offer the PowerPlay feature because all California prizes are pari-mutuel by law and PowerPlay cannot be applied to pari-mutuel prizes.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Powerplay is not available in CA.

Good for CA. They must know its a rip-off.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Not an option for them.

• California will NOT offer the PowerPlay feature because all California prizes are pari-mutuel by law and PowerPlay cannot be applied to pari-mutuel prizes.

Welp, there's one decision they ain't gotta think about!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Not an option for them.

Smooth move on the pari-mutual thing.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2013, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

You cant get 10 lines all on one ticket unless you play all QPs.

In CA you sure can get 10 lines on MM, I've done it many times before.

I'm assuming PB will be the same, since the playslip is the similar layout. You get 5 plays of self pick or quick pick, plus select up to 5 more additinoal QP lines for a total of 10 on one ticket.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
            California
            United States
            Member #112364
            June 17, 2011
            661 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

In CA you sure can get 10 lines on MM, I've done it many times before.

I'm assuming PB will be the same, since the playslip is the similar layout. You get 5 plays of self pick or quick pick, plus select up to 5 more additinoal QP lines for a total of 10 on one ticket.

I bought 100 tickets QP for Fantasy 5 and I got 5 lines per ticket with a self service machine.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

I bought 100 tickets QP for Fantasy 5 and I got 5 lines per ticket with a self service machine.

Sounds like your limited budget went out the window, LOL.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                California
                United States
                Member #112364
                June 17, 2011
                661 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like your limited budget went out the window, LOL.

It's a one time splurge because the jackpot exceeded $300,000. As expected, I lost money. I wouldn't do it anymore.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

In the other states, paying $2 per lines for a PB ticket guarantees the player matching 5+0 wins $1M, what are Californians guaranteed? 

A $2 per line MM ticket may be a better deal for them not to mention they can win the jackpot with the bigger cash value with a $1 ticket.

I don't live in California and I would choose to buy some MM tickets rather than PB.

To me, both games will be about the same: 50% return, extremely hard to win 1-in-175M jackpot games, with return of 5-10% during typical play, so you don't want to play much of it.

Both MM and PB are pari-mutuel in CA, like all other draw games. On the surface, it seems like we are getting shafted on 5+0. But the trick is the amount rolls over so that prize on MM is often higher than $250,000 and will probably often times be higher than $1,000,000 on PB.

It all evens out over the long run. The MM and PB games are designed with a similar same overall prize structure, with only 50% of sales being reserved for the total prize pool. Same for California as other states prize pools.

And even in the other states with fixed prize amounts, notice that asterisk next to the amount for 5+0 and 4+1 and others? They state that pari-mutuel can be invoked under certain circumstances there too, so those fixed prize amounts are not absolutely guaranteed.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19901 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you thought buying 100 QPs would be luckier than 20 players buying 5 QPs each.

I live in a small town that sells nearly a 1000 tickets for our Rolling Cash5(5/39) game every day and no one in town has ever matched all five winning numbers since the game started nine years ago.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                      Nutley, New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #131058
                      August 1, 2012
                      875 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

if you looked at the picture of the lottery slip that Jon D scanned, there is a section on the bottom for "ADDITIONAL QUICK PICKS" and you can choose up to 5 additional QPs.

It is upside down so it may be hard to read.

You can fillout 5 self picks and then fillout 5 "ADDITIONAL QUICK PICKS" to get one ticket of 5 self picks and 5 QPs

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2013, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you thought buying 100 QPs would be luckier than 20 players buying 5 QPs each.

I live in a small town that sells nearly a 1000 tickets for our Rolling Cash5(5/39) game every day and no one in town has ever matched all five winning numbers since the game started nine years ago.

That is very sobering. Nobody in my city has ever won PB 5+0

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2013, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

That is very sobering. Nobody in my city has ever won PB 5+0

The odds of matching all five numbers in RC5 are 1:575,757 and the town has 25,000 people of which I figure 1000 play the lotteries some times.

State wide we've had a couple or so PB jackpot winners and a few PB 5+0 winners, so there's still hope.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6305 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2013, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

in Oklahoma you can get five lines on one ticket.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4146 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

In a perfect world California would have to wait until Powerball returns to it's base jackpot of 40 million before being allowed to play.

And that is as it should be, because the way it is now they will be playing for a pot that was built without any help from them.

But I'm not the type who would bring that up. Far be it from me.

They should though, all of them, face east toward the Mighty Appalachians and bow down and cry out in unison: "We are not worthy!" ten times.

And let that be their pound of flesh.

Oh Ridge:That a load of you know what. Tis not California's fault that the other States did not win the JP now that its at $60 mil, they had their chance and did not. Hey, those other States had the PB for decades and Californians as a whole were left with MM and other less jackpots to feed off- plus there is no gaurantee that Cal will win the first, second or third one.Come to think of it ridge...

How about those folk who rarely ever play, who wait for the JP to reach $250- $300 mil plus and then they pull out a 5 and win the whole darn thing? Where was their contribution to making that puppy rise to where it was?My confidence in you is shaken, but not stirred big guy, but as you said "

In a perfect world California would have to wait until Powerball returns to it's base jackpot of 40 million before being allowed to play.

And that is as it should be, because the way it is now they will be playing for a pot that was built without any help from them.

But I'm not the type who would bring that up. Far be it from me.. 

Right...lol.

Roll Eyes