Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing The Mega Millions And Powerball Lottery Games Is Very Expensive $15,600.

Topic closed. 110 replies. Last post 4 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4945 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

You will never recover the OPPORTUNITY COST of spending $20 or $30 weekly playing the lottery, unless you win a second prize or the jackpot. Your average win has to be at least $50,000 dollars every 10 years on any lottery game to be a winner. Spending $10,400 or $15,600 in 10 years playing the lottery is insane.

Thrifty, do you own a home? Is it paid off?  Do you have a huge IRA?  Save it for the people who will miss the money. If you put a dollar value on every little thing, I think you will miss out on some fun things in life. Will you recover the costs for your first prom?  No. Will you recover the costs for the wedding gift for your college roommate? No.  What about vet bills?  Maybe better to get rid of the pets to save money? Now if someone has massive debt, they probably should only spend a very small amount, if at all on the lottery but I am not that case. People who cannot manage money will aways find something to waste money on so the lottery is better than a lot of other options.

J'aime La France.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
    NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    12095 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty, do you own a home? Is it paid off?  Do you have a huge IRA?  Save it for the people who will miss the money. If you put a dollar value on every little thing, I think you will miss out on some fun things in life. Will you recover the costs for your first prom?  No. Will you recover the costs for the wedding gift for your college roommate? No.  What about vet bills?  Maybe better to get rid of the pets to save money? Now if someone has massive debt, they probably should only spend a very small amount, if at all on the lottery but I am not that case. People who cannot manage money will aways find something to waste money on so the lottery is better than a lot of other options.

Owning a home is an expense in accounting 101 my friend. Paid in full or not, a home is an expense. It is ironic playing the lottery is an expense too.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4945 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Owning a home is an expense in accounting 101 my friend. Paid in full or not, a home is an expense. It is ironic playing the lottery is an expense too.

So you rent?  Case closed.

J'aime La France.

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        12095 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

So you rent?  Case closed.

So you are spending $20 or $30 weekly playing the lottery? You have ZERO chance of winning $10,400 or $15,600 within 10 years playing the lottery. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

US Flag

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4945 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

So you are spending $20 or $30 weekly playing the lottery? You have ZERO chance of winning $10,400 or $15,600 within 10 years playing the lottery. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

I spend less than $20 actually. And I save my money quite well. Again, do you own a home? Are you debt free?  I am.

J'aime La France.

Toronto
            Canada
            Member #138397
            January 26, 2013
            179 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Getting rid of pets not only saves money but loads of unnecessary work. In addition to saving time and energy, you are also free from the noise pollution and destructive tendencies of such creatures.

I strongly suggest everyone getting rid of them. Especially those hideous creatures called dogs

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              12095 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Getting rid of pets not only saves money but loads of unnecessary work. In addition to saving time and energy, you are also free from the noise pollution and destructive tendencies of such creatures.

I strongly suggest everyone getting rid of them. Especially those hideous creatures called dogs

The advanced civilizations of the universe will never come to planet earth. They are afraid of owning a home or becoming addictive to playing the lottery in our planet. We are the pets of the universe. Lol

US Flag

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4945 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

The advanced civilizations of the universe will never come to planet earth. They are afraid of owning a home or becoming addictive to playing the lottery in our planet. We are the pets of the universe. Lol

Thrifty, you lost me when you equated owning a home to playing the lottery. Be sure to look up the concept of "net worth." My home is worth 3 times plus what I paid for it. Being thrifty is one thing, never taking opportunities and never growing up in life is silly.

J'aime La France.

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Spending $5 on Mega Millions and $10 on Powerball for every drawing equals $30 a week or $1,560 for the year. You will be down $15,600 in 10 years, if you do not win any major prize.

But you could be the one who hit it the first time out....but I like how you add stuff up....now estimate how much we're spending on gas driving to and from work each week...I'll bet most of us would be millionaires faster than if we saved the money we spent on lottery tickets

LAKE HAVASU AZ
                    United States
                    Member #44729
                    August 8, 2006
                    446 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2013, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

i spend fifty a day ...i'll make more tomorrow  .plus i turn about thirty a year playing lottery some i'm up 15+.can't win every day and cant take it with me.......

some day....some day

United States
                      Member #129868
                      June 30, 2012
                      2457 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2013, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Opportunity Cost, just what I thought, trying to speak like an economist.  Next we are going to be learning about Sunk Cost.  Maybe thrifty is on the wrong website.

United States
                        Member #129868
                        June 30, 2012
                        2457 Posts
                        Posted: May 28, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty, you lost me when you equated owning a home to playing the lottery. Be sure to look up the concept of "net worth." My home is worth 3 times plus what I paid for it. Being thrifty is one thing, never taking opportunities and never growing up in life is silly.

Nice!

United States
                          Member #129868
                          June 30, 2012
                          2457 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2013, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

But you could be the one who hit it the first time out....but I like how you add stuff up....now estimate how much we're spending on gas driving to and from work each week...I'll bet most of us would be millionaires faster than if we saved the money we spent on lottery tickets

Well said

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2013, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

HOW COME THE SAVING RATES FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICANS ARE SO LOW?

THRIFT-MEISTER,

Take your meds and go to your happy place.

I'm startin' to worry about you, my brotha' from anotha' motha'.

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              12095 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2013, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

THRIFT-MEISTER,

Take your meds and go to your happy place.

I'm startin' to worry about you, my brotha' from anotha' motha'.

JOHNNY CASH LYRICS.

"I'm Free From The Chain Gang Now."

I got rid of the shackles that bound me and the guards that were always around me

There were tears on the mail mother wrote me in jail

But I'm free from the chain gang now

All the years I was known and respected 'til one day I was wrongly suspected

I was shackled in chains in a cold freezin' rain but I'm free from the chain gang now

[Guitar]

All the years I was known by a number how I kept my mind is a wonder

But like a bird in a tree I got my liberty and I'm free from the chain gang now

I got rid of the shackles that bound me and the guards that were always around me

There were tears on the mail mother sent me in jail

But I'm free from the chain gang now

There were tears on the mail mother wrote me in jail

But I'm free from the chain gang now.

US Flag