Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing The Mega Millions And Powerball Lottery Games Is Very Expensive $15,600.

Topic closed. 110 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 7 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
C5VetteMN6's avatar - skull
Florida
United States
Member #66781
November 6, 2008
10 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2013, 5:51 am - IP Logged

Indeed, it does get quite expensive, wifey and I added up our losing scratch-off's, losing pick 5 and other duds, we're down over $5,600.00....$2,832.00 in dud scratchers alone.   Even the second chance has proven futile....time for a break!   Oh yeah, that doesn't include the $120.00 we dropped for Lotto Powerplayer Ultimate 2013.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19824 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2013, 7:43 am - IP Logged

States come up with lotteries as an entertaining way to make money off folks who have money to spend on things they don't need to live. 

They do the same with folks who like to smoke and get drunk too so before you decide to buy those cartons of cigarettes, those six packs of beer, that bottle of whiskey or those lottery tickets make sure you have brought the things you and your family need to live first and you won't have a problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1648 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2013, 8:38 am - IP Logged

States come up with lotteries as an entertaining way to make money off folks who have money to spend on things they don't need to live. 

They do the same with folks who like to smoke and get drunk too so before you decide to buy those cartons of cigarettes, those six packs of beer, that bottle of whiskey or those lottery tickets make sure you have brought the things you and your family need to live first and you won't have a problem.

Yeah, and contrary to popular belief, they make lots more money off the poor ,or, those that really shouldn't be spending their money on lottery. So many people are looking for hope...a financial escape from what they're dealing with. Then, when they see those commercials like, "You can't win if you don't play", "It's your chance to win $1M dollars!!!", "Start scratching today for your chance at $1K per week!!" etc. they become very excited. The idea conveyed is that it's very easy and your life is going to take an about face for the better.

It's true...very true IF IT HAPPENS. What they don't advertise and focus on are the true odds of individuals actually experiencing the change. Strategic advertising at it's best! Can you imaging the lotteries being required to show how many people have lost just like they show winners in their reports???

How about interviewing players that have lost to see what they think. That would be very, very interesting to me...something people could put a pen to.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2013, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Oooooookay!

I saw your you tube ad. So now I read this and I have this mental picture of you with that rooter thing, and pissing coffee out your ass. LOL.

It's gonna take a while to get THAT picture outta my head.

Thanks rc, word pictures are fun. I started calling myself Melvin thanks to my biggest competitor doing a massive ad campaign telling people NOT to call Melvin. Im betting they WILL call Melvin for half price? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8wdEurcl8

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2013, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Yeah, and contrary to popular belief, they make lots more money off the poor ,or, those that really shouldn't be spending their money on lottery. So many people are looking for hope...a financial escape from what they're dealing with. Then, when they see those commercials like, "You can't win if you don't play", "It's your chance to win $1M dollars!!!", "Start scratching today for your chance at $1K per week!!" etc. they become very excited. The idea conveyed is that it's very easy and your life is going to take an about face for the better.

It's true...very true IF IT HAPPENS. What they don't advertise and focus on are the true odds of individuals actually experiencing the change. Strategic advertising at it's best! Can you imaging the lotteries being required to show how many people have lost just like they show winners in their reports???

How about interviewing players that have lost to see what they think. That would be very, very interesting to me...something people could put a pen to.

L.L.

Good idea LL. The "state" believes in equal air time, except for when it cuts into their profits.

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: July 5, 2013, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I went to store yesterday and purchased an item.

Store coupon for item $3.00.

Store member card $3.00 savings on item.

Gambling money $6.00.

WHATT

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: July 5, 2013, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Gambling money $6.00.

Those are the kind of mathematical calculations I like. Awesome work.

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11978 Posts
                Posted: July 8, 2013, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

Gambling money $6.00.

You spent $6 on the lottery instead of purchasing a quality item for $6.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  11978 Posts
                  Posted: July 8, 2013, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Indeed, it does get quite expensive, wifey and I added up our losing scratch-off's, losing pick 5 and other duds, we're down over $5,600.00....$2,832.00 in dud scratchers alone.   Even the second chance has proven futile....time for a break!   Oh yeah, that doesn't include the $120.00 we dropped for Lotto Powerplayer Ultimate 2013.

You have to become risk averse once your lottery losses are out of control. You have to be risk averse in any type of gambling.It really sucks to spend thousands of dollars chasing a jackpot, and you see someone winning the whole thing with $1.Lol

US Flag

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: July 9, 2013, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

You spent $6 on the lottery instead of purchasing a quality item for $6.

The only item you can get for $6 anymore will likely be from China.

And therefore won't be a quality item.

In fact, I would venture to say it will be a useless piece of crap that will soon break and be relegated to the growing mounds of Chinese made products taking up all the dwindling space in our landfills.

Stop the insanity. White Bounce

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11978 Posts
                      Posted: July 9, 2013, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

In fact, I would venture to say it will be a useless piece of crap that will soon break and be relegated to the growing mounds of Chinese made products taking up all the dwindling space in our landfills.

Feng Shui Lucky Cats.
                      by Chinese Collectibles

STOP THE LOTTERY INSANITY. LOL

US Flag

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: July 9, 2013, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Spending $50 on Mega Millions and $100 on Powerball for every drawing equals $300 a week or $15,600 for the year. You will be down $156,000 in 10 years if you do not win any major prize.

-Or-

Spending $1 on Mega Millions and $2 on Powerball for every drawing equals $6 a week or $312 for the year. You will be down $3,120 in 10 years if you do not win any major prize.

Obviously if you spend a lot of money something will be expensive. But $3,120 across 10 years? That's absolutely nothing and can easily be made up through altering other spending habits.

There are also many, many people out there who spend more on drugs, cigarettes and/or alcohol that dwarf the amount the average person spends on lottery. Maybe you should be focused on that, as at least with lottery you have a chance to win some of your money back.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: July 9, 2013, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Feng Shui Lucky Cats.
                          by Chinese Collectibles

STOP THE LOTTERY INSANITY. LOL

Cats are on the menu at the Chinese Restaurant in my area.

But they're called Fung Yu Unlucky Cats here.

You can get them with the Pu-Pu Platter.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4786 Posts
                            Posted: July 9, 2013, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

The book publishing industry (virtually all legitimate publishers) moved their printing to China years ago. However, they are held to strict quality standards in terms of paper size, quality, etc.  But I am sure they pay their workers next to nothing.

J'aime La France.

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11978 Posts
                              Posted: July 9, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

Spending $50 on Mega Millions and $100 on Powerball for every drawing equals $300 a week or $15,600 for the year. You will be down $156,000 in 10 years if you do not win any major prize.

-Or-

Spending $1 on Mega Millions and $2 on Powerball for every drawing equals $6 a week or $312 for the year. You will be down $3,120 in 10 years if you do not win any major prize.

Obviously if you spend a lot of money something will be expensive. But $3,120 across 10 years? That's absolutely nothing and can easily be made up through altering other spending habits.

There are also many, many people out there who spend more on drugs, cigarettes and/or alcohol that dwarf the amount the average person spends on lottery. Maybe you should be focused on that, as at least with lottery you have a chance to win some of your money back.

F$$K IT, I AM SPENDING $3,120 ON THE LOTTERY TODAY.

ARE YOU SPENDING $3,120 ON THE LOTTERY TODAY? LOL

US Flag