Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you have specific plans as to what you will be doing after your PB/MM win?

Topic closed. 153 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 6 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #128790
June 2, 2012
5431 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Remember this Folks?

Ham Lake man steps up to claim one-third of the Powerball jackpot

• Article by: JENNA ROSS , Star Tribune 
  • Updated: August 8, 2013 - 9:35 PM

College tuition for his kids, a car or two and a permanent vacation are on tap for Ham Lake’s new millionaire. 

Just last week, Paul White’s family was playing a game. Who in the group, the card asked, has a “financial plan that consists of playing the lottery”?

“Well, everybody picked my name,” White said, eyebrow <snip>ed. “And they thought it was funny then.”

On Thursday, White proved them wrong — or maybe right? The 45-year-old project engineer won a third of the $448.4 million Powerball jackpot with a ticket bought at the Holiday in his northern suburb of Ham Lake. At an afternoon news conference, White said he imagined winning so many times that he was confident, in a way, that it would happen. “I feel like it’s almost been coming,” he said.

With a big smile and quick wit, White also seemed prepared for the prime-time coverage he and two other lucky souls from New Jersey will earn after splitting the multistate game’s third-largest payout.

** All you Naysayers:  Stop thinking people are stupid for believing they can and will win...!!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

At an afternoon news conference, White said he imagined winning so many times that he was confident, in a way, that it would happen. “I feel like it’s almost been coming,” he said.

Are you really that naive?

I'd like to see a story about how many who lost and had the same confidence. The logistics of keeping files on all those  hundreds of millions of people wouldn't make it feasible. Oh well, it's nice to dream.  Wink

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4102 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

At an afternoon news conference, White said he imagined winning so many times that he was confident, in a way, that it would happen. “I feel like it’s almost been coming,” he said.

Are you really that naive?

I'd like to see a story about how many who lost and had the same confidence. The logistics of keeping files on all those  hundreds of millions of people wouldn't make it feasible. Oh well, it's nice to dream.  Wink

NAIVE?- Try telling Paul White that.

You seem to think that when people fill out their playslips to play the lottery that they oblivious to the odds? Are you that arrogant to assume that? If every player had your mindset, they probably would walk around with a raincloud over their heads all day.

Its like l said to you" you a totally negative person" - and nothing, absolutely nothing that spews forth from you is uplifting. Your words are lost here. 

United States
      Member #128790
      June 2, 2012
      5431 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

@ Noise, you may be a great debater, but NO ONE, not even you can debate that 99.9% won't win in their lifetime. There's nothing to debate about. It's a given that you, I, and anyone else CAN'T CHANGE. It's a mathematical FACT.

Bang Head

United States
        Member #128790
        June 2, 2012
        5431 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

NAIVE?- Try telling Paul White that.

You seem to think that when people fill out their playslips to play the lottery that they oblivious to the odds? Are you that arrogant to assume that? If every player had your mindset, they probably would walk around with a raincloud over their heads all day.

Its like l said to you" you a totally negative person" - and nothing, absolutely nothing that spews forth from you is uplifting. Your words are lost here. 

What a sad example of logic you propose.

Yes they are oblivious to the odds. They really don't grasp it, as you.

It's really easy, but you and others make it more difficult. The odds of you being eaten alive by a lion while sitting in a roller coaster seat is extremely unlikely to happen to 99.9% of citizens living in the U.S. in their lifetime.

If your definition of negativity is TRUTH, then I'm not the one with the problem.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4102 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

@ Noise, you may be a great debater, but NO ONE, not even you can debate that 99.9% won't win in their lifetime. There's nothing to debate about. It's a given that you, I, and anyone else CAN'T CHANGE. It's a mathematical FACT.

Bang Head

No one has EVER disputed that fact- my point is people already KNOW that the odds are way up there, no one needs to be reminded of that on a constantly basis, even you must see that. Perhaps you have " noticed" that the odds are printed on the back of the slip, and not the front, but that does not stop people from playing.

The whole idea of the lottery is to get people to hand over their money, no one interviews the losers, and with good reason. My point is: l doubt Todd established this forum for people to gather and mourn over their losses or debate the fact that the odds are so out of people's favor that one gets discouraged to play the game..This forum, l think is to give people the hope, however so slight that they can win. There are those who will remain nameless- who think people have no chance of accomplishing that feat, namely to win the lottery.

They of all people- are to be pitied.

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

No one has EVER disputed that fact- my point is people already KNOW that the odds are way up there, no one needs to be reminded of that on a constantly basis, even you must see that. Perhaps you have " noticed" that the odds are printed on the back of the slip, and not the front, but that does not stop people from playing.

The whole idea of the lottery is to get people to hand over their money, no one interviews the losers, and with good reason. My point is: l doubt Todd established this forum for people to gather and mourn over their losses or debate the fact that the odds are so out of people's favor that one gets discouraged to play the game..This forum, l think is to give people the hope, however so slight that they can win. There are those who will remain nameless- who think people have no chance of accomplishing that feat, namely to win the lottery.

They of all people- are to be pitied.

no one needs to be reminded of that on a constantly basis,

Oy vey, oh the Irony,

As long as you and others who have a right to keep reminding us of what we may do after a win, I also have the right to disagree. So it's ok for you and others to keep posting the same questions over and over again, but when I keep responding to the same threads that you all keep repeating by disagreeing, you get annoyed? ha, sounds like you want your cake and eaten.

If you don't want me to post comments on your threads about how redundant you are, stop starting the same threads over and over again. Green laugh

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4102 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2014, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

What a sad example of logic you propose.

Yes they are oblivious to the odds. They really don't grasp it, as you.

It's really easy, but you and others make it more difficult. The odds of you being eaten alive by a lion while sitting in a roller coaster seat is extremely unlikely to happen to 99.9% of citizens living in the U.S. in their lifetime.

If your definition of negativity is TRUTH, then I'm not the one with the problem.

Lets talk Logic.

Everytime you get behind the wheel of a car, sit down in a plane- you have just as much as chance of being injured or worse killed- BUT that does not stop you from driving or boarding a Plane- why? because you know only to well that at some point in time or this life, all of us will cease to exist. That is a proven fact- But we go about our business knowing the odds.

People play the lottery " knowing the odds & probability" as well. As in life, anything is possible. You Sir are saying in a real sense " Dont waste your time because it will never happen to you in your lifetime".. thing is OM- you dont know that.

There is a part in Braveheart the Movie where Mel Gibson says...

This line is part of the response Gibson gives after one nervous Scottish soldier suggests it might be better to retreat and live to fight another day. Gibson says:

“Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you’ll live — at least a while. And, dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!?

Get it?

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2014, 12:08 am - IP Logged

Lets talk Logic.

Everytime you get behind the wheel of a car, sit down in a plane- you have just as much as chance of being injured or worse killed- BUT that does not stop you from driving or boarding a Plane- why? because you know only to well that at some point in time or this life, all of us will cease to exist. That is a proven fact- But we go about our business knowing the odds.

People play the lottery " knowing the odds & probability" as well. As in life, anything is possible. You Sir are saying in a real sense " Dont waste your time because it will never happen to you in your lifetime".. thing is OM- you dont know that.

There is a part in Braveheart the Movie where Mel Gibson says...

This line is part of the response Gibson gives after one nervous Scottish soldier suggests it might be better to retreat and live to fight another day. Gibson says:

“Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you’ll live — at least a while. And, dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!?

Get it?

Everytime you get behind the wheel of a car, sit down in a plane- you have just as much as chance of being injured or worse killed- BUT that does not stop you from driving or boarding a Plane-

I cannot continue a dialogue with you after reading the above. Sorry, it's futile on my part. Good luck in your efforts. Thumbs Up

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4102 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2014, 12:16 am - IP Logged

l thought as much- you did not get it.

Go in Peace.

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2014, 12:30 am - IP Logged

l thought as much- you did not get it.

Go in Peace.

I have a prayer request. Oh God, please reduce the number of times the same question is axed on LP. Amen !

Green laugh

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #150273
                      December 18, 2013
                      495 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2014, 8:16 am - IP Logged

Currently there are five "spending the winnings" topics, but I can't find one current topic with any ideas of how to win a MM or PB jackpot. These topics are more than occasional so why not wait until the jackpot reaches almost "must win" status and than have those type of discussions?

But Stacks, this is the general discussion forum. If your interested in discussions on how to win then why wouldn't you go to the lottery systems & mathematics forums if that is the type of topics you are interested in and find worthy of discussion? Those forums are in place to filter out all other discussions (such as this one) that does not pertain to strategic ways to win. Just not sure why you would think or expect such discussions to be in this forum. The problem with the general forum is not the posters or their topics, it's you and onlymoney expecting it to be something other then what it was intended to be. Your simply on the wrong forum. If the folks here on the GENERAL discussion forum wanted to discuss those things they would go over to LP's other forums that are dedicated to those topics.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40250 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2014, 8:23 am - IP Logged

I'm going to retire and buy an Island Dance

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: January 20, 2014, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I nice long vacation.....

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                            Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: January 20, 2014, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I'm going to retire and buy an Island Dance

I like that Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19815 Posts
                              Posted: January 20, 2014, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Currently there are five "spending the winnings" topics, but I can't find one current topic with any ideas of how to win a MM or PB jackpot. These topics are more than occasional so why not wait until the jackpot reaches almost "must win" status and than have those type of discussions?

People like to discuss the things they think they know best and lots of people know more about spending money than they know about making money and as far as winning a jackpot nobody knows and if they really think they do, they aren't talking.  I've seen several threads of people asking members to PM them and tell all their secrets. 

Even when people or asking others for their best tips for winning, they don't want them shared by other readers.  I've had people PM for advice and were so secretive that they wouldn't reveal their state or the lottery they were asking advice about.  People don't want to discuss publicly anything worth knowing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Page 6 of 11