Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

As a Lottery JP winner: Would you " help" your city out if they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 3 years ago by veganlife125.

Page 1 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2014, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Let's say you lived there most of your life, you know most everyone & vice versa. If you Town or City fell on hard times, would to contribute to keeping them in the black- or would you think it none of your business?

Define " helping out"?- if you won over $150 mil after taxes,  would you mind throwing in up to $10  mil plus to keep the Police, nurses ,firefighters on the job etc.

** Have a Great Weekend People. ..now go out and win these jackpots!

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40402 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2014, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Being from Detroit, I say, saw it off the state and let Detroit float on down to Toledo Big Smile

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1502 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2014, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

No I would not, because you don't know where the money is going once you give it to you city or state.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4106 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2014, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Being from Detroit, I say, saw it off the state and let Detroit float on down to Toledo Big Smile

Whoa Sully...them poor nurses.

Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4106 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2014, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

No I would not, because you don't know where the money is going once you give it to you city or state.

So let the city die on the vine huh  Bigbear?

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1502 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

10 million, I'm not sure if I would.  It would depend on a lot: city corruption? City pensions? basically How was the city run?

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

No.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Let's say you lived there most of your life, you know most everyone & vice versa. If you Town or City fell on hard times, would to contribute to keeping them in the black- or would you think it none of your business?

Define " helping out"?- if you won over $150 mil after taxes,  would you mind throwing in up to $10  mil plus to keep the Police, nurses ,firefighters on the job etc.

Let 'em go bankrupt! Why throw good money after bad?

They probably got that way due to waste, corruption, bloated salaries, underfunded pensions, etc. They need to go to bankruptcy court to bust those bloated union contracts and pensions. Then they need to clean house and get all the moochers and crooks off the payrolls.

Only then would I consider helping out. Donate $10M? Hmmm...let me see, so if I won $150M, yeah, maybe I'd consider a $10M donation . . . by way of purchasing $30M in lottery tickets!(33% goes to public funding) Because that's the kind of generous thoughtful citizen I am! Thumbs Up

P.S. What town has public nurses?

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                  Member #142777
                  May 18, 2013
                  263 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Keep the questions coming noise-gate your doing great. Thumbs Up

However, on this question it seems a little personal.  Are you, a family member, or friend on the verge of losing a city pension check or higher salary?

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4106 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

10 million, I'm not sure if I would.  It would depend on a lot: city corruption? City pensions? basically How was the city run?

I said " help"  not save. The price to save the city could be way more than you as a lottery winner possesses. This is a discussion- nothing more.
                    I thought about that lottery winner who contributed toward the city sewer repairs or something to that effect. I think her last name was Hill & she split a huge jackpot with the guy from Arizona if my memory serves me correctly.

United States
                      Member #145267
                      August 1, 2013
                      1502 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

One other thing is, the laws need to change for the rich, as far as, hiding money outside of the usa so they don't have to pay full taxes and other loop holes that help the rich to keep their money. Everybody has to pay their true taxes.

United States
                        Member #145267
                        August 1, 2013
                        1502 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

I do get your point.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                          TX
                          United States
                          Member #121193
                          January 4, 2012
                          1637 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Not no but FORK NO......if the clowns drove the bus off the cliff once, alls your doing is giving them another shot in the drivers seat.

Remember...You can't fix other people being Gormless !!!!

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4106 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Let 'em go bankrupt! Why throw good money after bad?

They probably got that way due to waste, corruption, bloated salaries, underfunded pensions, etc. They need to go to bankruptcy court to bust those bloated union contracts and pensions. Then they need to clean house and get all the moochers and crooks off the payrolls.

Only then would I consider helping out. Donate $10M? Hmmm...let me see, so if I won $150M, yeah, maybe I'd consider a $10M donation . . . by way of purchasing $30M in lottery tickets!(33% goes to public funding) Because that's the kind of generous thoughtful citizen I am! Thumbs Up

P.S. What town has public nurses?

Public nurses?-  l had not thought of that , l was simply factoring folk who provide a service that is necessary for the operation of a city orTown.Delete Nurses from your thoughts. .ok?
                            Talking about Mooches- was there not a Town down your way that was on life support yet some high officials were giving themselves bonuses & cost of living increases? Perhaps a year or so ago?

Portland, OR
                              United States
                              Member #145973
                              August 20, 2013
                              226 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

No I would not give the city or anything related to the government a single penny.  I'd rather burn the money.  I'd let the city crash and burn.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene