Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

As a Lottery JP winner: Would you " help" your city out if they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 3 years ago by veganlife125.

Page 2 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
New York,
Panama
Member #73078
April 4, 2009
3490 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2014, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

But really, Why??!!!Sad

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1284 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2014, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

No.  A few yrs. ago, the town where I now live painted their patrol cars in the colors of the local high school.  That was fine, they looked cool and most of the citizens liked it but the cops griped about it, saying it didn't "look professional" and the city council buckled under to their whining and re-painted the cars...then the cars were traded in not three months later.   Not long ago, an inventory of city equipment was published in the paper and a large part of the budget had been spent on slope/hill  mowers;  there's a need for them, but only for one or two since there's not that much area w/ steep grade to be mowed.  (most of which can easily be cleared by workers w/ string trimmers) Come to find out, the park supervisor's bro-in-law had sold them the mowers. If it's not waste, it's graft.

Now, if my tiny home town needed a new ambulance or fire truck or equipment for their volunteer EMT/ fire departments, I'd gladly step up to the plate.  If they needed a new sewage works, I'd help out. (only if they named it after me. <grin>) I'd purchase vehicles for Meals on Wheels and other charitable organizations or donate substantial sums to the local Good Samaritan to pay utility bills f/ those in need, but to the govt.?   Not just no, but hell no.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1534 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2014, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Here's something else, the US sends millions to billions overseas, say Pakistan Or Afghanistan And we don't know what the money is used for. That could be used for US teachers, police dept., or trainning of US unemployed People.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
        Member #142777
        May 18, 2013
        263 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2014, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Here's something else, the US sends millions to billions overseas, say Pakistan Or Afghanistan And we don't know what the money is used for. That could be used for US teachers, police dept., or trainning of US unemployed People.

So lets get this straight bigbear29.  You just said in an earlier post that you wouldn't give $10 million to a city if you became a rich man by winning the lottery.  However, you have no problem calling for more laws stealing even more of other peoples money while your not rich yet.  That sounds like hypocrisy.   It's attitudes like that which make the "politics of envy" alive and well.  It floats in the air out there don't it?

Now you trot out the tired old "cut foreign aid" routine.  Thats less than 1% of the federal budget!  The money saved on foreign aid + the extra money from the rich wouldn't even come close to paying for the things you just mentioned much less medicare, social security, and war spending thats got the economy on its back now!  Just wait till interest rates world wide rise back to the 1970's-1980's level and lets see how Janet Jellen does all that and also pays for the interest on the national debt without mass inflation or worse! 

Man pass that bottle your drinking from so we can all get high and dream that big will ya!LOL

P.S.  Even if you confiscate the assets of the rich directly like they are doing in latin america now that means taking it right out of stocks, bonds, and real estate and quess what:  that crashes this economy even more not to mention the flight of foreign capital.  You don't think China would dump our bonds they own?  You learned you economics where?Dupe Alert

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

United States
          Member #145267
          August 1, 2013
          1534 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2014, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

What laws would steal the people's money?

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1534 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2014, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

If I was rich, I would not be hiding money overseas. I don't need more than one house. I want to just be comfortable with money in the bank, it does not have to be pouring out of my ears.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1129 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2014, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

If I really wanted to help out and was willing to throw the money away, I would just buy their [junk] bonds.

Either way they get my money but if things turn up, I come out wealthier; if things turn down, I get a tax write-off. LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
                Member #149820
                December 9, 2013
                644 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2014, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Let's say you lived there most of your life, you know most everyone & vice versa. If you Town or City fell on hard times, would to contribute to keeping them in the black- or would you think it none of your business?

Define " helping out"?- if you won over $150 mil after taxes,  would you mind throwing in up to $10  mil plus to keep the Police, nurses ,firefighters on the job etc.

** Have a Great Weekend People. ..now go out and win these jackpots!

Great question noise...An even better one would be If you choose not to help the city on the verge of bankruptcy would you feel bad for the people who would lose jobs, homes, etc? Teachers, cops, firemen all those kinds of people

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10354 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2014, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Even in a small town such help would only last a very short time. No to mention you doing somemthing like that and some city council member deciding some of the money should got toward a statue of themselves in the town square.

If word got out you did something like that all those people you've known for a long time, and strangers, would come put the bite on you.

I might do something like donate a huge amount to one of those agencies that helps people that can't pay their utuilities but it would have to be on the QT.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4111 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Even in a small town such help would only last a very short time. No to mention you doing somemthing like that and some city council member deciding some of the money should got toward a statue of themselves in the town square.

If word got out you did something like that all those people you've known for a long time, and strangers, would come put the bite on you.

I might do something like donate a huge amount to one of those agencies that helps people that can't pay their utuilities but it would have to be on the QT.

So you saying there should be a moratorium on statues Coin? What if the City Manager has a blond mullet with an Errol  Flynn moustache?
                    I would love to see that statue..

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40610 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

One other thing is, the laws need to change for the rich, as far as, hiding money outside of the usa so they don't have to pay full taxes and other loop holes that help the rich to keep their money. Everybody has to pay their true taxes.

47 percent of this country does not pay taxes at all, why should someone with money pay more?

Do you want to pay more taxes?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40610 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

What laws would steal the people's money?

It's called the affordable care act, that's a big one!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19908 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

As a Lottery JP winner: Would you " help" your city out if they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

The Cities i reside in would never be in bankruptcy so if i won i would help out others.Dance

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                            Member #145267
                            August 1, 2013
                            1534 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Yes, and I would not be hiding money overseas. It's time people start to believe in their country And only when a war starts.

United States
                              Member #145267
                              August 1, 2013
                              1534 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Really!