Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

As a Lottery JP winner: Would you " help" your city out if they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 3 years ago by veganlife125.

Page 5 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #94616
July 24, 2010
4735 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:53 am - IP Logged

WOW!! Thats insane... I get the feeling the state will be taking over soon.

Great subject! I have been thinking the same thing - how do we IMPROVE the GOOD part of the government - Police, Fire, Hospitals, DPW ect?  In many citys/towns we need to take the power/control back.  Not quite sure how to do that but reducing the tax money is one good way.  The less control (money) the government has the better.  But then WHO pays for things? 

So the question is if you won a Jackpot would you help your local government?  I think I might look into 'taking over' the maintenance and control of the street(s) I live by.  Although my neighbors might not like that -LOL! I also like the comments made about helping things like Meals on Wheels, ect. 

But one thing that wasn't rasied - JOBS.  The best way to help a stuggling small town is - bring jobs to the area.  Bring AMERICAN US Flag jobs to your town.  Go after jobs/companys that produce overseas and try to run them outta the market.

Tough issue- GREAT subject to debate Thumbs Up

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
    TX
    United States
    Member #121193
    January 4, 2012
    1637 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Interesting posts and most lead to the non help of the town going under. I 110% agree. I honestly believe some have forgotten what this nation was created to do vs what we are doing now/morphing into. Take into account the following quotes by one of the founding fathers of this country:

"All men were created equal and endowed by their Creator with the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”

“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”

And last but not least..........

“The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Does anyone on this site actually trust anyone in our government to actually DO the job as it was intend to be done ??

From " I am not a crook" to "We have to pass the bill to know what's in it" and all the BS in between(in my lifetime) ....<big sigh>

What happened to integrity and honesty and personal responsibility ?

For those of us who live by this standard you have my support and praise. For those who believe in half truths/deceit and blaming someone else for your problems or problems you want to inflict onto others, I wish you much karma in your lifetime.

God Bless America......(cause we sure need it the way we going.... in my humble opinion)  Patriot

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
      Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
      United States
      Member #50210
      March 1, 2007
      843 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2014, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I won't throw money down a rat hole.

I'll help private people out but I'll be dam-ned if I'll give it to a bunch of sleazy, slimey, corrupt politicians.

That's one of the absolute worst things you could do with your money.

No flippin' way, Jose.

I Agree! You took the words right out of my mouth.Smile

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #150273
        December 18, 2013
        495 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2014, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I would help those hurt by it, but i would not get involved with the city's financial issues. Sadly, we do see this happening across america but it's no wonder when you have welfare in the form of tax breaks and loop holes for corporate america with record profits who clearly do not need it..... and then you have welfare for those who are more then ABLE to work who don't need it either...but this country just keeps dishing out various forms of welfare where it's not needed. This is why both political parties are worthless in my eyes and i would in no way involve myself with the corruption. I would only offer assistance directly to those in need.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3159 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2014, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Vote for me and i promise to lower taxes and provide a free Baby Ruth with every school lunch.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
            Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1354 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2014, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Candlelight777 wrote: "...welfare in the form of tax breaks and loop holes for corporate america with record profits who clearly do not need it."

I agree with nearly every thing else you say except that.  First, it's a corporation's duty to make profits for its shareholders as long as they do so within the law.  The existence of the corporation depends upon those profits, as well as the jobs of the people who work for it and other companies it does business with.  Those profits are taxed which in turn benefits America.  (supposed to, anyway)  Record profits? Good for them! I wish I owned stock in those corporations.  People whine about "record profits" but there's no sympathy from them when the corporation's profits are at an all-time low.  There are industries that get welfare, but it's in the form of direct subsidies, not tax breaks.  Of course corporations/companies get tax breaks, why not?  Individuals get them too, you know.   If there are loop holes, then that's because of the tax laws that allow it...and we elect the people who write and enact those laws.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
             - George Orwell

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2014, 2:20 am - IP Logged

No.

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!

United States
                Member #94616
                July 24, 2010
                4735 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2014, 8:11 am - IP Logged

Candlelight777 wrote: "...welfare in the form of tax breaks and loop holes for corporate america with record profits who clearly do not need it."

I agree with nearly every thing else you say except that.  First, it's a corporation's duty to make profits for its shareholders as long as they do so within the law.  The existence of the corporation depends upon those profits, as well as the jobs of the people who work for it and other companies it does business with.  Those profits are taxed which in turn benefits America.  (supposed to, anyway)  Record profits? Good for them! I wish I owned stock in those corporations.  People whine about "record profits" but there's no sympathy from them when the corporation's profits are at an all-time low.  There are industries that get welfare, but it's in the form of direct subsidies, not tax breaks.  Of course corporations/companies get tax breaks, why not?  Individuals get them too, you know.   If there are loop holes, then that's because of the tax laws that allow it...and we elect the people who write and enact those laws.

If a company is JUST trying to make profits for its shareholders it will ultimately fail.  There are MANY other reasons a company exists.  Yes profits keep a company going but I like this example BETTER as its is a 'positive' way to increase production--

The $5-a-day Workday

After the success of the moving assembly line, Henry Ford had another transformative idea: in January 1914, he startled the world by announcing that Ford Motor Company would pay $5 a day to its workers. The pay increase would also be accompanied by a shorter workday (from nine to eight hours). While this rate didn't automatically apply to every worker, it more than doubled the average autoworker's wage.

While Henry's primary objective was to reduce worker attrition—labor turnover from monotonous assembly line work was high—newspapers from all over the world reported the story as an extraordinary gesture of goodwill.

Thousands of Workers Flock to Detroit

After Ford’s announcement, thousands of prospective workers showed up at the Ford Motor Company employment office. People surged toward Detroit from the American South and the nations of Europe. As expected, employee turnover diminished. And, by creating an eight-hour day, Ford could run three shifts instead of two, increasing productivity.

Henry Ford had reasoned that since it was now possible to build inexpensive cars in volume, more of them could be sold if employees could afford to buy them. The $5 day helped better the lot of all American workers and contributed to the emergence of the American middle class. In the process, Henry Ford had changed manufacturing forever.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #150273
                  December 18, 2013
                  495 Posts
                  Posted: February 17, 2014, 9:59 am - IP Logged

The issue i was raising was not about a corporation making record profits and having a issue with that, so lets not make this something it's not, it's about them not needing all these loopholes and tax breaks as well as subsidies. This country is in debt and we are borrowing money from other countries to pay our bills because we are funding those who are able to work WHO DO NOT NEED IT as well as corporations who are making record profits who DO NOT NEED IT...this was my focus. What more needs to be said? There is a difference between a hand up for struggling businesses who are struggling to stay in operation and maintain jobs, and a handout to those who are making record profits and doing well and don't need it. The same is true for individuals with true needs verse those who just don't want to work.

Since you brought it up, I certainly don't see any sympathy for those who can't pay their bills because some of these well to do corporations are paying their workers peanuts while they rake in record profits...and all the while literally providing their employees forms and directions to their local welfare office to apply for gov assistant to supplement their incomes because they know they are not providing their workers a living wage while they rake in RECORD PROFITS.  Regardless of that fact and that they are further adding injury to this country's financial crisis by keeping people on the system so they can pocket bigger profits, they still get rewarded by means of tax breaks and loopholes on those profits they are hoarding and still get rewarded with subsidies that they don't need or deserve. Sadly the lack of sympathy goes both ways my friend if you want to look at it that way. This is why BOTH political parties are corrupt and that corruption runs from one end of the spectrum to the other when it comes to abuses of our country's money. Let's not forget the sick feeling we get in our stomach when we see a perfectly able young person using food stamps who is buying beer and the such in a separate transaction right in front of you or texting on their iphones while their 4 kids all a year apart in age are running circles throughout the store!! but lets also not forget likewise that same sick feeling we get as well when a failing corporation is requesting their debts and obligations be erased through a bankruptcy and then their books are flashed through the media and we see the outrageous salaries and bonuses the big boys have been paying themselves....my My MY!!  boohoo let me get my box of tissues.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1654 Posts
                    Posted: February 17, 2014, 10:52 am - IP Logged

The issue i was raising was not about a corporation making record profits and having a issue with that, so lets not make this something it's not, it's about them not needing all these loopholes and tax breaks as well as subsidies. This country is in debt and we are borrowing money from other countries to pay our bills because we are funding those who are able to work WHO DO NOT NEED IT as well as corporations who are making record profits who DO NOT NEED IT...this was my focus. What more needs to be said? There is a difference between a hand up for struggling businesses who are struggling to stay in operation and maintain jobs, and a handout to those who are making record profits and doing well and don't need it. The same is true for individuals with true needs verse those who just don't want to work.

Since you brought it up, I certainly don't see any sympathy for those who can't pay their bills because some of these well to do corporations are paying their workers peanuts while they rake in record profits...and all the while literally providing their employees forms and directions to their local welfare office to apply for gov assistant to supplement their incomes because they know they are not providing their workers a living wage while they rake in RECORD PROFITS.  Regardless of that fact and that they are further adding injury to this country's financial crisis by keeping people on the system so they can pocket bigger profits, they still get rewarded by means of tax breaks and loopholes on those profits they are hoarding and still get rewarded with subsidies that they don't need or deserve. Sadly the lack of sympathy goes both ways my friend if you want to look at it that way. This is why BOTH political parties are corrupt and that corruption runs from one end of the spectrum to the other when it comes to abuses of our country's money. Let's not forget the sick feeling we get in our stomach when we see a perfectly able young person using food stamps who is buying beer and the such in a separate transaction right in front of you or texting on their iphones while their 4 kids all a year apart in age are running circles throughout the store!! but lets also not forget likewise that same sick feeling we get as well when a failing corporation is requesting their debts and obligations be erased through a bankruptcy and then their books are flashed through the media and we see the outrageous salaries and bonuses the big boys have been paying themselves....my My MY!!  boohoo let me get my box of tissues.

Interesting diaglogue here between you and Mike and I certainly share agreements on both fronts. I said a while back that we need a special division to specifically, and, continually track people out of work and on welfare...in live time. All this business with having people to call in to an automated recording and lie about looking for work is for the birds. The places which they document and claim to have applied for work are often times bogus with no merit what so ever. It would be money well spent to follow up on these people and touch base directly with the entities where they claim to have looked for work. Then, the Human Resources department of the entities in question would have to respond on what the current status is. This is a fail safe and will get people off the system because they'd be denied opportunities for turning down decent work. As it stands, no one is following through with 'checks and balances'...if you will. We're just paying out because they say there's no work. If nothing else, let's do what what's done to some disabled folks on SSI that also work part time...let's simply cut back how much they get if the wages they're paid don't quite make ends meet. At least it'll cut back on the payouts and get more money back into the system. This is just my thinking towards an immediate solution. 

I'll touch on the rest later because the whole record profits, loopholes, subsidies, bonuses, and BOTH CORRUPT PARTIES makes me smile.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: February 17, 2014, 11:45 am - IP Logged

LOL nail on the head, but who get the bailouts...and why? When you can buy a politician's place in govt then you can pretty much cash a blank check, remember this CORPORATIONS ARE NOW CONSIDERED AS PEOPLE so they can donate moeny to politicians re-election and/or election funds and pac now. What's that the one billionaire said..."You should get a dollar for every vote you pay in taxes. 1 million dollars in taxes should equal 1 million votes

London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #148675
                        November 8, 2013
                        54 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2014, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

@Bigear29 , You do know that USA is the biggest tax haven in the World ? :)

London
                          United Kingdom
                          Member #148675
                          November 8, 2013
                          54 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2014, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Great topic :-)

I'll definitely give back what my family took out from the social welfare in Switzerland for my disabeld brother if I ever win.

United States
                            Member #145267
                            August 1, 2013
                            1672 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2014, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Money from the USA to the Cayman Islands.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              41804 Posts
                              Posted: February 17, 2014, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Having family in Toledo, I must respectfully object to this plan.  Eek Big Grin

lol, plan B, Saw Detroit off and drop it somewhere in the middle of the Ocean.

HyperBe Happy.