Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

As a Lottery JP winner: Would you " help" your city out if they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

Topic closed. 118 replies. Last post 3 years ago by veganlife125.

Page 4 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2014, 7:30 am - IP Logged

It's called the affordable care act, that's a big one!

Yeah that is horrible... healthcare people can afford. What's wrong with America?? We want a decent living wage so we dont have to be on welfare, healhcare so when we get sick we wont have insurmountable debt, and to be able to save for our kids future and our retirement. We are just too greedy. We just need to be more compassionate to these big coroprations who want to make billions of dollars, and not pay us any of the above, cause we wouldnt work as hard if it actually paid off

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #129225
    June 13, 2012
    546 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2014, 7:36 am - IP Logged

I would be very generous with my donations but giving it to my city, NO WAY!!  They are so wasteful with the tax dollars and I don't agree with how they waste our money now.  No, no and no.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2014, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Yeah that is horrible... healthcare people can afford. What's wrong with America?? We want a decent living wage so we dont have to be on welfare, healhcare so when we get sick we wont have insurmountable debt, and to be able to save for our kids future and our retirement. We are just too greedy. We just need to be more compassionate to these big coroprations who want to make billions of dollars, and not pay us any of the above, cause we wouldnt work as hard if it actually paid off

"healthcare people can afford."  "BIG FAT LIE"

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."BIG FAT LIE"

"If you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance."BIG FAT LIE"

"It's going to reduce the cost of insurance."BIG FAT LIE"

You pay too much attention to what politicians say they're gonna do.

You have to watch what they actually do.

There's most often a huge difference.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1654 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2014, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Well, first of all, you cannot apply the 'broadbrush' answer to the healthcare issues. There are lots of people who's original plan wasn't affected at all while others, like me, had to select a slightly different plan with different options and coverages. Lots of people need not change doctors...like me. I had to change plans, but I'm still able to see the same doctor and I spoke about this a while back in another thread a couple of days after I made my changes. Did my policy go up? Yes, it did by about $40/month. On the other hand, my co-worker which had a really robust plan, didn't have to do a thing except selct that he wanted to retain his current plan.

See, this deal must be examined on a case by case basis because it didn't hurt everybody, but nor did it help everybody so much either. We can go back years and talk about healthcare proposals that are currently in place and working well contrary to oposition back then. Look at how Ronald Reagan viewed Medicare...said it was socialized medicine and wouldn't work. Take a look at how many folks are on it and /or supplementing with it right now today. Guess what? They even started a form of 'socialized retirement' call social security. Everyone pays in now while others much older older and having paid their dues already is reaping the benefits. I'm paying in for someone to sit down and relax everyday right now. It's been said that this program will eventually go away, but I kinda know different when I look at the true numbers.

As far as giving a city a ton money after having went under...probably not. You must ask yourself what happened to all the funds taken in from taxes, special projects, etc. over all the years. Somewhere along the way, there was some corruption, stealing, and misapprpriation of those funds. I've seen it happen first hand in  the town I'm originally from. When the wrong people are in office, the city isn't taken care of but the empolyees are. They all got caught and served time.

I do agree that we must watch politicians much more than we just listen to them. This goes hand in hand with the 'actions speak louder than words cliche.' There is no new thing under the sun...just a different forms of the same things and this is why we must never put all our eggs into one basket or the other.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
          Member #145267
          August 1, 2013
          1713 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Wow! Lucky loser, well said. I agree 100%.

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1713 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I agree with you also Shelby.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5587 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:37 am - IP Logged

It's nearly impossible to "hide money overseas" these days, particularly since the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act

I believe in my country, but I also believe about half or more of its citizens are ignorant beyond redemption.

1 in 4 Americans don't know the Earth orbits the Sun.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/6e49b254-fc12-4176-8ab6-c6146611c372

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4954 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:37 am - IP Logged

lol Coming from the guy (b2b) who said he tells the homeless to go to ****.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:42 am - IP Logged

1 in 4 Americans don't know the Earth orbits the Sun.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/6e49b254-fc12-4176-8ab6-c6146611c372

I wonder if those are the same people who just can't seem to figure out how to get ID's to vote either?

Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5587 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Question should be this.......................If a state, city, town, or village has a surplus of tax dollars (no matter what the surplus) left over after the last tax period is over,  should it return the surplus to the tax payers??????????????????????

Idea  I say give it back to the tax payers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2014, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Question should be this.......................If a state, city, town, or village has a surplus of tax dollars (no matter what the surplus) left over after the last tax period is over,  should it return the surplus to the tax payers??????????????????????

Idea  I say give it back to the tax payers.

Yep.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Public nurses?-  l had not thought of that , l was simply factoring folk who provide a service that is necessary for the operation of a city orTown.Delete Nurses from your thoughts. .ok?
                        Talking about Mooches- was there not a Town down your way that was on life support yet some high officials were giving themselves bonuses & cost of living increases? Perhaps a year or so ago?

Yeah, you're talking about the City of Bell scandal. Fatboy weasel/weeble Robert Rizzo will finally get his prison sentence next month.

Local government can be the most corrupt. Anybody can get in there, and with less eyes and checks and balances on them, things like this can happen. There are more barriers for these petty criminals as they rise up higher or go on the national stage. But still, that hasn't stopped crooks and liars from ascending to the governorship or member of congress.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:11 am - IP Logged

One other thing is, the laws need to change for the rich, as far as, hiding money outside of the usa so they don't have to pay full taxes and other loop holes that help the rich to keep their money. Everybody has to pay their true taxes.

I love when the ones who pay nothing complain about the ones who pay the most not paying their fair share.

So typical.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Yeah, you're talking about the City of Bell scandal. Fatboy weasel/weeble Robert Rizzo will finally get his prison sentence next month.

Local government can be the most corrupt. Anybody can get in there, and with less eyes and checks and balances on them, things like this can happen. There are more barriers for these petty criminals as they rise up higher or go on the national stage. But still, that hasn't stopped crooks and liars from ascending to the governorship or member of congress.

"But still, that hasn't stopped crooks and liars from ascending to the governorship or member of congress."

Or the Presidency.

Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5587 Posts
                              Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:17 am - IP Logged