Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MegaMillions is ready to be won again

Topic closed. 116 replies. Last post 2 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 3 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #106134
February 13, 2011
806 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Why do you all think no one has won yet?

Sales down maybe?  Could players be turning up their noses to $200 mil jackpots now?

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
    USA
    United States
    Member #152799
    February 25, 2014
    1095 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2015, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Did anyone else notice that when the annuity value went up to $221 million from $206 million that the cash value rose $13.7million thus making the additional cash payout 91% of the annuity.

The previous jackpot was $206 million with a cash value of $131.1 million.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5756 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2015, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Did anyone else notice that when the annuity value went up to $221 million from $206 million that the cash value rose $13.7million thus making the additional cash payout 91% of the annuity.

Interesting. I don't usually do the math between the cash and annuity. I know it fluctuates depending on interest rates. I just check the amount of the cash, subtract the fed tax, and calculate how much money I can spend each year for the next 25 years if I win.

Good eye.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1131 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2015, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Have to look at the pool as a whole:

134.9/206 ≈ 65.49% (1.53)

144.8/221 ≈ 65.52% (1.53)

Note that the actual cash was $134.9 million for Tuesday's drawing. Don't forget the advertised jackpots are only estimates and based on sales projections.

They use the same interest factor for the next jackpot as the current one, and they don't always disclose the actual cash in the prize pool, which is why it seems like you get less (more) annuity for the cash. So if they used X for this jackpot then they will use X for the next one. It makes sense because they have no way of knowing what the actual interest rate factor will be for that next drawing. Then the business day following the draw they will adjust it up or down. This is why the jackpot could be an estimated $500 million annuity on Friday but different on Monday when it is actually claimed (the CVO doesn't change however).

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
          USA
          United States
          Member #152799
          February 25, 2014
          1095 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2015, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Have to look at the pool as a whole:

134.9/206 ≈ 65.49% (1.53)

144.8/221 ≈ 65.52% (1.53)

Note that the actual cash was $134.9 million for Tuesday's drawing. Don't forget the advertised jackpots are only estimates and based on sales projections.

They use the same interest factor for the next jackpot as the current one, and they don't always disclose the actual cash in the prize pool, which is why it seems like you get less (more) annuity for the cash. So if they used X for this jackpot then they will use X for the next one. It makes sense because they have no way of knowing what the actual interest rate factor will be for that next drawing. Then the business day following the draw they will adjust it up or down. This is why the jackpot could be an estimated $500 million annuity on Friday but different on Monday when it is actually claimed (the CVO doesn't change however).

Not sure where you got the $134.9 million cash value figure because according to USA Mega it states the cash value at $131.1 million.

https://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.asp?d=1/6/2015

Using the numbers I got from USA Mega, the cash value increased $13.7 million while the annuity value went up $15 million. Don't get me wrong as I am happy to see an increase in the cash value but I am a little confused at why it jumped over 91% of the annuity increase.

Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1131 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2015, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Not sure where you got the $134.9 million cash value figure because according to USA Mega it states the cash value at $131.1 million.

https://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.asp?d=1/6/2015

Using the numbers I got from USA Mega, the cash value increased $13.7 million while the annuity value went up $15 million. Don't get me wrong as I am happy to see an increase in the cash value but I am a little confused at why it jumped over 91% of the annuity increase.

I got the $134.9 million from MUSL, which is as official as it gets. The CVO wasn't updated because the jackpot wasn't hit. For instance, the actual cash jackpot for 01/02 was $119.6 million, but $119.1 million was advertised. For 12/30, it was $109.1 million, but $108.4 million was advertised.

As mentioned, the prizes posted are only estimates. Anytime there is a discrepancy it basically means they haven't updated the advertised to the actual cash. They normally won't do that either, unless there is a significant jump or deficit in sales or the prize is actually hit.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1131 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2015, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I got the $134.9 million from MUSL, which is as official as it gets. The CVO wasn't updated because the jackpot wasn't hit. For instance, the actual cash jackpot for 01/02 was $119.6 million, but $119.1 million was advertised. For 12/30, it was $109.1 million, but $108.4 million was advertised.

As mentioned, the prizes posted are only estimates. Anytime there is a discrepancy it basically means they haven't updated the advertised to the actual cash. They normally won't do that either, unless there is a significant jump or deficit in sales or the prize is actually hit.

I should also mention the "official" cash I am quoting is typically a rounded-down value for simplicity, just because there are different vendor systems reporting and they don't always submit initial sales properly. Also, since MM is technically operated by the MM group and not MUSL, they have to go on their own estimates. For example, MUSL quotes the cash for the 11/04 winner at $194.4 million (advertised $194.1 million) but the real value was $197,456,087 according to NY Lottery.

Now for Powerball, which is exclusively MUSL, their numbers are perfect. For the 11/29 drawing, they quote around $56,818,181.82 which is the actual. When I say "quote" I mean the value retrieved if I look up the draw in their database. This is posted as soon as the final results are received.

In both games it also gets a little complicated because they have reserve pools which may add to or take away from the final prize. I find it easier to use the values they provide in estimation documents and then adjust later. I do adjust them though, because otherwise the interest factors won't match up and, as we saw, a discrepancy pops up. For most players this really doesn't matter because the actual prize isn't that far off from the advertised one, except during record draws.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4145 Posts
                Posted: January 9, 2015, 1:24 am - IP Logged

MM is going to be won Tomorrow..... By someone in the United States, not Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.That should come as a relief people!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2679 Posts
                  Posted: January 9, 2015, 11:30 am - IP Logged

MM is going to be won Tomorrow..... By someone in the United States, not Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.That should come as a relief people!

please let it be one of my "good friends"  here at  the LP

thank you

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2015, 11:38 am - IP Logged

You don't want Virgin Islands Americans to win? Why?

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19900 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2015, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

You don't want Virgin Islands Americans to win? Why?

What he wants doesn't matter, what will be will be.  Congratulation to the winners who ever they are.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3502 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2015, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

Whether it's somebody from the US or Mars that wins, the jackpot indicates that MM is only expecting to sell about 31 million tickets, so there's less than a 12% chance it's going to happen tonight.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19900 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2015, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Whether it's somebody from the US or Mars that wins, the jackpot indicates that MM is only expecting to sell about 31 million tickets, so there's less than a 12% chance it's going to happen tonight.

For those who know what the winning pattern looks like 12% is more than enough since they will only be considering 3% of the possible combinations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                            Member #106134
                            February 13, 2011
                            806 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2015, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

There's no way anyone will win tonight.  Everyone playing now has the curse of "Can't win"

Are you ready to see a jackpot run into the multiple billions of dollars?

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                              Member #52345
                              May 21, 2007
                              2679 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2015, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

There's no way anyone will win tonight.  Everyone playing now has the curse of "Can't win"

Are you ready to see a jackpot run into the multiple billions of dollars?

Skeptical time will spin a most curious yarn this evening

best of luck to those playing