Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MegaMillions is ready to be won again

Topic closed. 116 replies. Last post 2 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 8 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
Wisconsin
United States
Member #104962
January 23, 2011
1075 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2015, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Yeah- ONE winning ticket from a State that has a Population of 13 million. How on earth can some folk think that the lottery is RIGGED?

Had CA,NJ,NY or FL won- oh boy, we would never hear the end of it.Unhappy

This is why http://www.lotterypost.com/news/285100

Trump 2016!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20101 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2015, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Now, what has that got to do with anything?

The ticket was bought as a quick-pick at a store, it wasn't manipulated by this individual, so therefore it wasn't rigged. He was security

and their rules are as such. NO MUSL employee can buy Lottery tickets. What he did was unethical, but the Lottery wasn't rigged...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3471 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2015, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I find it more interesting since the jackpot was hit that only two tickets won a million dollars ... the jackpot wasn't at 400 or 500 million but usually there are many winners just in CA and NY and then more scattered around the country ... wondering how much play there really was, maybe just a lucky fluke the jackpot was won last night.

I did not check to see how many actual tickets were sold ... just strange, could have almost been the jackpot being hit with no million dollar winners.

CW

It all depends on the particular 5 numbers that are drawn. Just because there were  3 tickets with the 5 numbers drawn last night doesn't mean that every 5 number combination was played 3 times, and if a different combination had been drawn there's very good chance there would have been a different number of 5+0 winners.

With only 14 possible choices for the mega number and many millions of tickets sold it's a pretty safe bet that each of the 14 numbers is played with similar frequency. Flip a coin 3 times and you obviously can't get the 50% heads/tails distribution suggested by probability, and there's a 25% chance that you'll get all heads or all tails. Do it 1000 times and the results will be much closer to 50/50. I expect there's a bit of a skew towards 1-12 since they're birthday numbers, and perhaps a couple of numbers are more popular, but the frequencies probably don't vary far from the 1 in 14 average.

The 5 number combinations are a completely different animal. There are 17,259,390 of them so there's a much greater range in how often each one is played. Sales were almost 53 million, which is just over 3 times the number of combinations.  That means that the average of times each combination was played is close to 3, and the number of times the winning 5 number combination was played happens to be as close to the average as it could be.

It's an absolute certainty that a large portion of the other combinations were played 2 or 4 times, a smaller portion were played 1 or 5 times, and a modest portion would have been played 0 or 6 times. That's if every ticket was selected randomly, but we know that's not the case. A very small set was played hundreds or even thousands of times. 1,2,3,4,5 is very common, and I'd guess that every consecutive set is played heavily. The diagonal combinations that start at the top left and right corners are also very popular, and there are probably at least 4 or 6 of those since playslips  can vary from one state to another. And of course there are the birthday numbers.

California
        United States
        Member #141204
        April 7, 2013
        280 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2015, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Easy?  How many times have you won? Please give me tips on how to win it.

it was a joke. JJ says it all the time so I thought it would be funny to say it back to him. Too easy.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2015, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

it was a joke. JJ says it all the time so I thought it would be funny to say it back to him. Too easy.

Ah, sorry. Sometimes people say that and they are being  dead serious. So, I thought you were saying it was easy to win.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19813 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2015, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

If you're talking about the amount of effort one spend, how hard can it be to ask for a few quick picks?  There are players willing to put more effort into winning but no one has come up with a good way to do that.  Even doing lengthy workups and using complicated systems which do require extra effort don't seem to help either even if they do make playing the games more entertaining.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #106134
              February 13, 2011
              806 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2015, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I now declare that it is not too easy to win anymore.  The amount of times jackpots have rolled proves this.

Now if MM can't climb above 15m again or PB keeps getting hit at $40 it will be too easy.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19813 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2015, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I now declare that it is not too easy to win anymore.  The amount of times jackpots have rolled proves this.

Now if MM can't climb above 15m again or PB keeps getting hit at $40 it will be too easy.

I was starting to come around to your way of thinking since for the winners, winning is as easy as buying a ticket.  It's the losers who think winning is hard maybe because they work hard at winning with no success.  Winning a lottery seems to be more associated with luck than hard work.  Players doing the extra work of studying past drawings and their results haven't improved their odds of winning over those who simply buy some "quick picks".

Evil Looking       

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3471 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2015, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I was starting to come around to your way of thinking since for the winners, winning is as easy as buying a ticket.  It's the losers who think winning is hard maybe because they work hard at winning with no success.  Winning a lottery seems to be more associated with luck than hard work.  Players doing the extra work of studying past drawings and their results haven't improved their odds of winning over those who simply buy some "quick picks".

"winning is as easy as buying a ticket."

You've bought thousands of tickets since I joined. Why haven't you won a few jackpots?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4100 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2015, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

His right- winning is as easy as buying a ticket, the Right ticket.

The same could be said that " if you do not buy a ticket, you going to find it extremely difficult to win"...

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19813 Posts
                      Posted: January 21, 2015, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

"winning is as easy as buying a ticket."

You've bought thousands of tickets since I joined. Why haven't you won a few jackpots?

A lot of players has brought thousands of tickets since you joined LP and have won even one jackpot.  I can't answer your question intelligently but I'm sure if you keep asking around you'll find the answer you seek. Wink

Evil Looking       

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3471 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2015, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

"I can't answer your question intelligently"

I'm pretty sure you can. In fact you come pretty close later on in the same post I quoted from. Just because I phrased it as a question doesn't mean it was anything more than a comment on the ease of winning.