Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's time the lottery needs to stop releasing a person name and picture when a big win is won!

Topic closed. 128 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #143211
May 27, 2013
1978 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2015, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

I know that some states don't release your name and picture when a big win is won, I feel every state should do this or leave it up to the person that won. Lately , I been reading how many people that have won is found dead or hurt . What do you think ?

California
    United States
    Member #141204
    April 7, 2013
    280 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2015, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I know that some states don't release your name and picture when a big win is won, I feel every state should do this or leave it up to the person that won. Lately , I been reading how many people that have won is found dead or hurt . What do you think ?

Sounds good to me. I also wish there was no income tax for lottery winnings. Europe and Canada don't tax lottery winnings, so why can't we have something like that here?

It's ridiculous they have huge billboards of how much money is up for grabs in the lotto but if you actually won, you'd keep only about 1/3 of what was advertised.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
      Member #133462
      September 30, 2012
      5946 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2015, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I find that people who don't act childish with their win-fall usually do well, and the media backs off within weeks. Remember Gloria from Florida? No one talks of her much now as it is the case with many others who have won in the past. If you want to do big things, do so discreetly. 

As far as taxes are concerned I don't know why people obsess over monies Uncle Sam snags off the top. After all you won this money and hopefully you weren't banking your future on such a win. Figures on the billboard as we all know represent annuity values. These were not actual monies taken in by the lottery. Unfortunately 99.99% of us will never have the luxury of worrying about such issues. The odds are growing from astronomical to insane.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2015, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

If a person wins enough that their life may be in danger they have enough time to make sure they can be safe from the dangerous people around them before filing a claim for their winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2015, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Requiring a name and a picture is just purely reckless disregard for the winners safety.  Some will blame it on a persons life style,  which is taking the easy route to avoid what people really want, and that is discussing anonymous winner claims.

Trump 2016!

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I would like to win a big jackpot but I would hate to change any aspect of my life.  Unfortunately Tennessee not only requires a news conference but while you are answering insane questions like "What are you going to do with the money?" lottery employees are sliding maps to you house under the windshield wipers of every car within walking distance of the conference.  As you depart the stage a large target is slapped on your back and a GPS transponder is glued to your wallet.

That's why I drive to Georgia to place my bets.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7309 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I find that people who don't act childish with their win-fall usually do well, and the media backs off within weeks. Remember Gloria from Florida? No one talks of her much now as it is the case with many others who have won in the past. If you want to do big things, do so discreetly. 

As far as taxes are concerned I don't know why people obsess over monies Uncle Sam snags off the top. After all you won this money and hopefully you weren't banking your future on such a win. Figures on the billboard as we all know represent annuity values. These were not actual monies taken in by the lottery. Unfortunately 99.99% of us will never have the luxury of worrying about such issues. The odds are growing from astronomical to insane.

I Agree! and still can't understand why multi-million jackpot winners want more attention by appearing on "The Lottery changed my life" type of shows.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Our lotteries can take a few tips from Australia and other countries:

Australia:
                Are winnings taxable?

Although no tax is deducted from Australian lottery prizes,...

A member here, savagegoose, has mentioned that their play slips also have a box you can check, NP, meaning No Publicity.

Anonymous and no tax, sounds good to me, wake up America!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

California
                  United States
                  Member #141204
                  April 7, 2013
                  280 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Our lotteries can take a few tips from Australia and other countries:

Australia:
                  Are winnings taxable?

Although no tax is deducted from Australian lottery prizes,...

A member here, savagegoose, has mentioned that their play slips also have a box you can check, NP, meaning No Publicity.

Anonymous and no tax, sounds good to me, wake up America!

I Agree!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                    Texas Panhandle
                    United States
                    Member #136843
                    December 20, 2012
                    1276 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I can see both sides of the issue;  first, lottery winners shouldn't be forced to have their photos taken or participate in press conferences;  that takes invasion of privacy to criminal levels.   I understand the need for transparency because I have seen enough news about shady dealings done by lottery commission employees to know that any time large amounts of  money are involved and someone thinks they can get away with stealing some/all of it, it can and does happen.   I think a good compromise would be for the lottery entity to be required to wait 90 days to 6 months before releasing a winner's identity.   That should be long enough for a winner to have taken steps to protect themselves and also satisfy the need for disclosure.

Taxes: the problem as I see it is that winnings are taxed as ordinary income.  I just can't see what's ordinary about a one-time financial windfall.   39.6% federal tax on a JP smacks of highway robbery - the 25% initial withholding is too high to suit me as well, but is at least more reasonable and to be honest, I've always been a fan of the 10% flat tax. (yes, I know there are problems with that, but I haven't heard a good enough argument for any other plan)

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1182 Posts
                      Posted: February 6, 2015, 7:16 am - IP Logged

The lottery doesn't care about the safety of its players. They only care about the free publicity and they hide behind the flimsy transparency argument to do it. Not until someone is kidnapped and/or murdered as a direct result of the forced publicity will they stop this nonsense. It took Australia finding out about a kidnapping plot on a winner's child to force them to change the rules to allow for anonymity. It'll take a tragic event and a massive lawsuit for things to change here.

As for those who believe that simply keeping a low profile is enough, I say there's something wrong with anyone who feels that it's okay for winners to have to move and go into hiding, take out kidnap insurance and even hire bodyguards have a really warped way of thinking. That shouldn't be acceptable to anyone. An individual's safety should supersede a company's marketing campaign.

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
                        Member #146028
                        August 22, 2013
                        842 Posts
                        Posted: February 6, 2015, 8:42 am - IP Logged

I would like to win a big jackpot but I would hate to change any aspect of my life.  Unfortunately Tennessee not only requires a news conference but while you are answering insane questions like "What are you going to do with the money?" lottery employees are sliding maps to you house under the windshield wipers of every car within walking distance of the conference.  As you depart the stage a large target is slapped on your back and a GPS transponder is glued to your wallet.

GASMETERGUY, this is definitely the best by a long shot. I said it before; I'll say it again.......all you have to do is show up at Lottery Headquarters with an affidavit drawn up by your lawyer requiring the signature of the Lottery Commissioner that states if anything happens to you or any member of your family as a result of them publishing your personal/private information that the State of ___ will be held in full accountability. Yeah, I know when pigs fly !

May Arthur Neal Jr., the 86 year old Detroit man REST IN PEACE !

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

KCMO
                          United States
                          Member #163681
                          February 7, 2015
                          56 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2015, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

LOL, dang. Glad I don't live in TN. 

I think they should delay release of public names for maybe 6 months...this way the media frenzy dies down and you still get to release the names publically. In the end I think it's important to release names publically to keep the integrity of the game, otherwise I think the participation rate will drop off significantly. 

Of course when you win a huge jackpot, you need to know how to prep to claim it....consult a fiduciary, a tax lawyer and another lawyer to see about claiming the winning as a LLC/trust so you can try to anonymize the claiming as best as possible.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2015, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I'm with mikeintexas about there being a wait time for them to release your name.

Even 60 days I think would be enough, maybe even 30 days (at least, 30 from the time it clears the bank account). That's more than enough time to move out of a home and into another, with all cash offers you could close on a home as early as one day (at most, 7 days with an inspection and a proper look-over of paperwork).

I'm for claiming via a trust or other means that allow me to stay anonymous, but I wouldn't mind the option above. I just don't like the idea of people knowing who the winner is while they are still weeks away from having the money.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10351 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2015, 2:05 am - IP Logged

OK, I'll bring this up one more time.

I used to joke about it but it's sounding better.

Why not a Jackpot Winners Protection Program?

It would be modeled after the Federal Witness Protection, but for lotto winners.

A small team of lawyers and financial people would handle the press conference, all attempted correspondence by whatever means, etc....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.