Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's time the lottery needs to stop releasing a person name and picture when a big win is won!

Topic closed. 128 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 3 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
Wisconsin
United States
Member #104962
January 23, 2011
1075 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2015, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

This is just further proof that you have a hard time understanding reality. Some people are stupid and make themselves into easy targets. Others of us aren't stupid.

Few people would participate here is they were required to reveal their personal information. The lottery only requires you to reveal that information if there's a major upside to doing so, making it completely voluntary. If you don't think it's worth it, don't let them reveal it. If you choose that course it will be cheaper if you do it by not buying the ticket in the first place. Either way, your whining is useless.

Your inability to understand my point,  doesn't have anything to do with me understanding reality.  However,  you have been given many examples of why being able to be anonymous to collect a large lottery win have been given.  Furthermore you deflect by calling it whining....Your illogical idealist impaired thinking doesn't compute,  just because a bunch of other ones screwed up,  makes a real piss poor excuse to forgo anonymous lottery claims.

Trump 2016!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1200 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2015, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking that too at first... "just don't play then"  BUT...

If the integrity of the game is at stake, then those states that allow anonymity should be wrecking the game by now right?

When the lotto industry gets more transparent with "us", the consumers, then I'll consider getting more transparent with them.

In the meantime, if somebody really wants to find something out, they will... but I'd prefer to have a choice to NOT make it any easier for them.

Getting threats is one thing, but reading about folks getting hurt and killed over a jackpot claim... need I say more?

When people stop buying tickets out of fear of winning- that might be a game changer eh?

I Agree! Could not have said it better myself. What I find interesting is that no one is screaming foul play over those who have claimed anonymously.

Just recently we had a $400 million winner from SC. He claimed his money and went on his merry way, and guess what? The lottery didn't come to a screeching halt. No one on these boards gave a d@mn. They all continued to actively play.

Those same people want to claim that it's about integrity. They're full of it. It's those same people who will be whining and wanting protection when it's their lives being threatened. It's really easy to risk a life when it isn't their own. A person's bank balance shouldn't make his/her life less worthy of safety. Shame on anyone who tries to justify otherwise.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4146 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2015, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

I know that some states don't release your name and picture when a big win is won, I feel every state should do this or leave it up to the person that won. Lately , I been reading how many people that have won is found dead or hurt . What do you think ?

Thankfully California allows a Winner to do this..

This winner took home the $425 mil jackpot last April. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
        Member #143211
        May 27, 2013
        2020 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2015, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

This is the way it should be done in all states !   

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2015, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Good to hear.  If someone from LP wins,  give the above a try and let us know if they allow it.

Trump 2016!

Bondi Junction
            Australia
            Member #57242
            December 24, 2007
            1102 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2015, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

US State Lotteries should learn from other lotteries around the world:

For UK National Lottery prizes over £50,000, our player services team is able to pay them in the comfort of their own home, or alternatively they can choose to have their prize validated at one of our prize payout centres.

For winners over £500,000, a private banking representative can visit them at home to discuss additional services on offer to winners with new-found wealth. We also arrange for a panel of independent legal and financial experts to visit winners of over £500,000 to offer impartial advice and practical guidelines.

One of the most important decisions for new winners to make is whether to opt to go public or remain anonymous. If a winner decides to talk publicly about their win, Camelot’s PR team will organise a press conference and handle all media interest on their behalf, removing the anxiety that can accompany talking about a big win.

If they have requested to remain anonymous, Camelot takes its obligations and duty of care to protect winners’ privacy very seriously. Unless a winner agrees to take full publicity and signs an agreement to that effect, no information about them can be released by Camelot into the public domain.We have a dedicated team of winners’ advisers who look after all our major jackpot winners. They remain a source of support and advice for as long as a winner needs – often remaining in touch years after hitting the jackpot.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2015, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

"What easy solution is there for someone who has almost nothing in the bank account"

If you're really that hard up all you really need is enough for a security deposit and a few months rent for a new place to live.  If you've got several million dollars worth of collateral and a bank still considers you too much of a risk for a loan of just 5 grand you shouldn't be playing the lottery anyway.

"Just because a person is their own worst enemy doesn't mean claiming anonymously shouldn't be an option."

What most people who think anonymity is a safety issue apparently don't recognize is the flip side of that. Being anonymous won't keep you from being your own worst enemy.  Anonymity is a convenience. History makes it very clear that anonymity would have done little or nothing to prevent the serious problems that  have befallen a very small subset of winners.

In a perfect world, yes everyone who plays the lottery would have those options. And true, most people who win the lottery are going to be safe and many are capable of getting an attorney or loan to either move to an anonymous location or claiming via a trust or LLC, but that doesn't mean the lottery couldn't use a slight change in how they announce winners.

I'll ask, what is the big issue with not releasing a lottery winners name/location until 30 days after the money has been released? Is it really that important to you that people don't get a little help from the lottery in avoiding media and beggars the first few weeks of being a lottery winner? You'll still get to see their name and location plastered all over the news once those 30 days are up.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10392 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

From the Delaware lottery website:

Winners get to hold a 'smiley face on a stick' in front of their face when a picture is taken.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1200 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

US State Lotteries should learn from other lotteries around the world:

For UK National Lottery prizes over £50,000, our player services team is able to pay them in the comfort of their own home, or alternatively they can choose to have their prize validated at one of our prize payout centres.

For winners over £500,000, a private banking representative can visit them at home to discuss additional services on offer to winners with new-found wealth. We also arrange for a panel of independent legal and financial experts to visit winners of over £500,000 to offer impartial advice and practical guidelines.

One of the most important decisions for new winners to make is whether to opt to go public or remain anonymous. If a winner decides to talk publicly about their win, Camelot’s PR team will organise a press conference and handle all media interest on their behalf, removing the anxiety that can accompany talking about a big win.

If they have requested to remain anonymous, Camelot takes its obligations and duty of care to protect winners’ privacy very seriously. Unless a winner agrees to take full publicity and signs an agreement to that effect, no information about them can be released by Camelot into the public domain.We have a dedicated team of winners’ advisers who look after all our major jackpot winners. They remain a source of support and advice for as long as a winner needs – often remaining in touch years after hitting the jackpot.

This is a wonderful system. Here's hoping we adopt something similar to this

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2015, 6:48 am - IP Logged

From the Delaware lottery website:

Winners get to hold a 'smiley face on a stick' in front of their face when a picture is taken.

The good news:

If I win, am I allowed to remain anonymous?
                    Yes, Delaware State law allows all Delaware Lottery winners to remain anonymous.

The bad news:

Do you offer Lottery subscriptions?

At this time, the Delaware Lottery does not offer this service.

FAQ Delaware Lottery

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2015, 9:01 am - IP Logged

LOL people will never stop buying tickets out of fear, that's another reason why there should never be any anonymity. If you are prepared to win that kind of money then be prepared for the negative stuff that comes with it. We need to know that there are actual living people winning period

United States
                        Member #149820
                        December 9, 2013
                        644 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2015, 9:06 am - IP Logged

Its not about marketing or advertising, I as a player want to know that a real living person has won not some faceless unknown whatever. How would we know it wasnt lottery officials winning over and over it anonymity was allowed to be used. No I want to see the name and the face of the person upfront which also reinforces the hope that it one day it could be me, and that is why we all play, because of that hope

Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #104962
                          January 23, 2011
                          1075 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2015, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Its not about marketing or advertising, I as a player want to know that a real living person has won not some faceless unknown whatever. How would we know it wasnt lottery officials winning over and over it anonymity was allowed to be used. No I want to see the name and the face of the person upfront which also reinforces the hope that it one day it could be me, and that is why we all play, because of that hope

Alright, if you want to think lottery officials would be winning if it was anonymous,  lottery officials could be telling their friends,  and those friends telling their friends how to win right now as we speak.....That is a whole new level of paranoia you got there dude.  I now see the light on how outrageous some of what I say is.

Trump 2016!

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            644 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2015, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

LOL right officials telling their friends about winning the lottery they arent even supposed to be playing, but yes that is one reason why it should not be any anonymity. The majority of people who want to hurt you or will hurt you in these kinds of situations would be someone you know anyways. So anonymous or not you still could be hurt be someone who knew about your situation anyways.

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: February 9, 2015, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I know that some states don't release your name and picture when a big win is won, I feel every state should do this or leave it up to the person that won. Lately , I been reading how many people that have won is found dead or hurt . What do you think ?

Hi Nydebbie,

In my state we cannot be anonymous. If I ever won a jackpot I plan to go to the news conference with a paper bag over my head and would also use a paper bag when Lottery Headquarters takes my picture. I am someone who rarely lets anyone take my picture so thank goodness there are not many photos of me around and I have no Facebook. You are correct about the danger of lottery winners who cannot be anonymous. I feel it poses a great danger to jackpot winners. There needs to be legislation put forth that allows anonymity for all lottery winners due to their lives being in jeopardy.  Realize the lottery thinks noone would believe that they have real people winning if all lotteries were anonymous but that's bogus and just a way for the lottery to get publicity. If I won a jackpot would get a lawyer and financial people in place before coming forward and would move to a place where no one could find me (exception of my family).