Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's time the lottery needs to stop releasing a person name and picture when a big win is won!

Topic closed. 128 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2015, 3:16 am - IP Logged

I'm with mikeintexas about there being a wait time for them to release your name.

Even 60 days I think would be enough, maybe even 30 days (at least, 30 from the time it clears the bank account). That's more than enough time to move out of a home and into another, with all cash offers you could close on a home as early as one day (at most, 7 days with an inspection and a proper look-over of paperwork).

I'm for claiming via a trust or other means that allow me to stay anonymous, but I wouldn't mind the option above. I just don't like the idea of people knowing who the winner is while they are still weeks away from having the money.

There are already a bunch of easy solutions. You don't need to rush to the lottery HQ right away, and you don't need to collect the winnings in order to get your $hit together and move. Anyone who can't manage isn't likely to be helped by having 30 or even 180 days before their name is released.

History also makes it clear that the vast majority of winners who have problems are their own worst enemies. There's a slim chance the guy in Detroit will turn out to be an exception, but there are few, if any, cases where a winner's problems with other people weren't because the winner was the one who hung a target on their own back.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2015, 3:23 am - IP Logged

I couldn't see them doing that. It removes their publicity and those crazy folk that still believe the lottery is rigged will be up in arms that they are protecting the name of the winner. Would also be quite the reversal of opinions, I think as of now they state on the website they offer absolutely zero financial help (because of liability, I assume).

It's harsh, but I think if you can't handle a lottery win you shouldn't play. Too many have announced their win well before doing any research, as well as not hiring competent professionals to look after their money once they've received it. I don't think the lottery folks should have to provide that stuff for the winners. If anything, for winners who claim themselves, have them sit through a quick educational film about what certain financial professionals do and why people might need them.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2015, 3:36 am - IP Logged

There are already a bunch of easy solutions. You don't need to rush to the lottery HQ right away, and you don't need to collect the winnings in order to get your $hit together and move. Anyone who can't manage isn't likely to be helped by having 30 or even 180 days before their name is released.

History also makes it clear that the vast majority of winners who have problems are their own worst enemies. There's a slim chance the guy in Detroit will turn out to be an exception, but there are few, if any, cases where a winner's problems with other people weren't because the winner was the one who hung a target on their own back.

What easy solution is there for someone who has almost nothing in the bank account and nowhere else to go? There are some people out there who play and are in terrible positions in life, the win may be a major blessing and really don't have other solutions for moving out of a potentially dangerous situation. Even if they wait 3 months before turning in their ticket, they will still be announced as the winner before that person has the money.

Could you imagine living in some ghetto area with no family and no other options for leaving your home, and knowing that everyone in the neighborhood is going to know you are worth millions? Not even thinking of a dangerous situation here, just the major headache that person is going to have to deal with. Is it really that terrible of a thought to give that person a 30 day head start?

I'm just glad that I would have time to go to a lawyers office and get something setup to claim anonymously. At the very least, if I couldn't claim anonysmously, I can afford to buy a PO Box and get my address changed so I don't have to deal with tons of letters. Of course then my address would still be listed in the phone book and online sites, so I'd still have some crap to deal with for the few weeks until my money transferred and cleared and I could get in a hotel to avoid unwanted attention during a stressful point in the lottery winner timeline.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #104962
        January 23, 2011
        1075 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2015, 8:20 am - IP Logged

Just because a person is their own worst enemy doesn't mean claiming anonymously shouldn't be an option.

Trump 2016!

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2015, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I couldn't see them doing that. It removes their publicity and those crazy folk that still believe the lottery is rigged will be up in arms that they are protecting the name of the winner. Would also be quite the reversal of opinions, I think as of now they state on the website they offer absolutely zero financial help (because of liability, I assume).

It's harsh, but I think if you can't handle a lottery win you shouldn't play. Too many have announced their win well before doing any research, as well as not hiring competent professionals to look after their money once they've received it. I don't think the lottery folks should have to provide that stuff for the winners. If anything, for winners who claim themselves, have them sit through a quick educational film about what certain financial professionals do and why people might need them.

I am going to echo my comment I said earlier in this topic.  Requiring a name and a picture is just purely reckless disregard for the winners ( and of course families too )  safety.  Some will blame it on a persons life style,  which is taking the easy route to avoid what people really want, and that is discussing anonymous winner claims.

While I am one of those people that doesn't trust the people behind the big lotteries,  people still need to stay safe.  If a winner screws up and outs himself/herself,  then it is their problem. 

Saying the lottery is rigged is one thing,  But What is far more crazy, is someone not wanting anonymity for a big lottery win.  I would not want to be a big target in this failing economy.

Trump 2016!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1186 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2015, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Just because a person is their own worst enemy doesn't mean claiming anonymously shouldn't be an option.

I Agree! Utterly and completely. I simply don't get how the safety of the winner and the safety of the winner's children should even be an acceptable risk. Dealing with death threats and kidnapping plots, hiding out for months on end and hiring bodyguards should not be par for the course. 

Why should someone's suspicious and/or curious mind be more important than the safety of a fellow human being. Someone wins millions of dollars suddenly it's acceptable for their children's lives to be threatened? The response has been a singularly apathetic "if they can't handle it, they shouldn't play". The real point is, they shouldn't have to handle it. They won the money, the decision on who to tell and how should be there's alone. 

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
              nc
              United States
              Member #99520
              October 26, 2010
              375 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:23 am - IP Logged

If my name were Tom jones, I would be anonymous! But having a very unique name doesn't allow me that priviledge.  My preference would be anonymity for the giving side. "Let not the left hand know what the right us doing, etc.". 

But, living quietly or publicly (on the good side) is a small price to pay. Have no children to be kidnapped.  Will would be set up to divide the money among so many charities, it would do no one any good to eliminate me to get their inheritance. No one person would have control over all, except I. 

Having livedin a poorer crime ridden area for a long time, having a body guard would be a pleasant change for  a while, and hopefully a good traveling companion for a trip or two.

as an investor in the winners happiness or sadness, whichever it may be, I enjoy hearing about them to know they are legal winners.  Have no problem with the attorney standing in for them at the photo opp. Have no problem with the attorney sharing a misdirect such as they are moving to Hawaii to live out their dream, when it is really accross the county line, etc.

Loved how Brad Duke handled it when he won and was told no anonymity. He did it up, publicly stated his goal, etc. from last reports is doing well. Yes, people will follow reports on how the winners are doing, just read all the posts on 'how the lottery changed my life show'.

United States
                Member #149820
                December 9, 2013
                644 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:23 am - IP Logged

To keep it transparent and totally fair i think they need to make it mandatory in all states that your name and picture is released. That way everyone knows that it is a real person that is winning. If you're worried about your safety if and when you win a huge jackpot then dont play, then you wont have to worry, but we as players need to know that the system is fair and that it is a real person who is winning all this money. We as lottery players have to be good with assuming all the risk when winning a big jackpot.  The integrity of the process far outweighs the privacy of any one winner or handful of winners

Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:48 am - IP Logged

To keep it transparent and totally fair i think they need to make it mandatory in all states that your name and picture is released. That way everyone knows that it is a real person that is winning. If you're worried about your safety if and when you win a huge jackpot then dont play, then you wont have to worry, but we as players need to know that the system is fair and that it is a real person who is winning all this money. We as lottery players have to be good with assuming all the risk when winning a big jackpot.  The integrity of the process far outweighs the privacy of any one winner or handful of winners

Face palm....Not another  " If you're worried about your safety if and when you win a huge jackpot then dont play"  The fact of the matter is, dodgy stuff can still go on even with transparency.  It is unbelievable that some think marketing/advertising is more important then a human life.

Trump 2016!

Jacksonville, Florida
                    United States
                    Member #158308
                    August 18, 2014
                    698 Posts
                    Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I won $250,000 and they gave me the option . I opted out..

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: February 8, 2015, 10:58 am - IP Logged

"What easy solution is there for someone who has almost nothing in the bank account"

If you're really that hard up all you really need is enough for a security deposit and a few months rent for a new place to live.  If you've got several million dollars worth of collateral and a bank still considers you too much of a risk for a loan of just 5 grand you shouldn't be playing the lottery anyway.

"Just because a person is their own worst enemy doesn't mean claiming anonymously shouldn't be an option."

What most people who think anonymity is a safety issue apparently don't recognize is the flip side of that. Being anonymous won't keep you from being your own worst enemy.  Anonymity is a convenience. History makes it very clear that anonymity would have done little or nothing to prevent the serious problems that  have befallen a very small subset of winners.

Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #104962
                        January 23, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: February 8, 2015, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

"What easy solution is there for someone who has almost nothing in the bank account"

If you're really that hard up all you really need is enough for a security deposit and a few months rent for a new place to live.  If you've got several million dollars worth of collateral and a bank still considers you too much of a risk for a loan of just 5 grand you shouldn't be playing the lottery anyway.

"Just because a person is their own worst enemy doesn't mean claiming anonymously shouldn't be an option."

What most people who think anonymity is a safety issue apparently don't recognize is the flip side of that. Being anonymous won't keep you from being your own worst enemy.  Anonymity is a convenience. History makes it very clear that anonymity would have done little or nothing to prevent the serious problems that  have befallen a very small subset of winners.

Anonymity isn't a convenience, it should be a right.  Since you have no problem with your information being put out...Why don't you put your money where your mouth is,  and create a new topic telling everyone your information just in case you win, so we can all ask for money.   I guarantee you won't because you want anonymity just as much as others who may win,  or already have won.

Trump 2016!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1186 Posts
                          Posted: February 8, 2015, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

Total BS. NOTHING  should outweigh an individual's safety...it's NOT about their privacy it's about their safety. What will it take for you people to get that? When the child of a lottery winner is threatened all because someone was more concerned of knowing who won, something is seriously wrong. Do we have to have an incident like Australia had to get people to see what's more important?

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                            Upacreek
                            United States
                            Member #136306
                            December 8, 2012
                            428 Posts
                            Posted: February 8, 2015, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking that too at first... "just don't play then"  BUT...

If the integrity of the game is at stake, then those states that allow anonymity should be wrecking the game by now right?

When the lotto industry gets more transparent with "us", the consumers, then I'll consider getting more transparent with them.

In the meantime, if somebody really wants to find something out, they will... but I'd prefer to have a choice to NOT make it any easier for them.

Getting threats is one thing, but reading about folks getting hurt and killed over a jackpot claim... need I say more?

When people stop buying tickets out of fear of winning- that might be a game changer eh?

-RC

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2015, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Anonymity isn't a convenience, it should be a right.  Since you have no problem with your information being put out...Why don't you put your money where your mouth is,  and create a new topic telling everyone your information just in case you win, so we can all ask for money.   I guarantee you won't because you want anonymity just as much as others who may win,  or already have won.

This is just further proof that you have a hard time understanding reality. Some people are stupid and make themselves into easy targets. Others of us aren't stupid.

Few people would participate here is they were required to reveal their personal information. The lottery only requires you to reveal that information if there's a major upside to doing so, making it completely voluntary. If you don't think it's worth it, don't let them reveal it. If you choose that course it will be cheaper if you do it by not buying the ticket in the first place. Either way, your whining is useless.