Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's time the lottery needs to stop releasing a person name and picture when a big win is won!

Topic closed. 128 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 5 of 9
PrintE-mailLink
mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
Texas Panhandle
United States
Member #136843
December 20, 2012
1280 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2015, 8:24 am - IP Logged

So your entire argument is "let's wait for an actual kidnapped child or murdered winner to occur before we give up the right to know who lottery winners are."

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and fully disagree with that premise.

We have a society built on preemptive measures in every single aspect of our lives (airbags, seatbelts, temp controls on water heaters, baby proofing, storm cellars, flood insurance) you name it and there's been a way devised to combat a risk.

Yet here you have a situation ripe with risk (recommended kidnap insurance and hiding like a terrorist are now par for the course when the publicity machine starts to roll), but hey, they're only lottery winners, who cares about their well-being, as long as our curiosity is met. After all, all the other lotteries in the world that allow anonymity are so lacking in integrity and transparency that no one ever plays those games and it ruined it for everyone, Right?

Don't put words in my mouth and I'm particularly offended by your dishonest misrepresentation of what I wrote.  You don't care about fraud, just as long as you want to protect against something that hasn't happened in over half a century and not even in this hemisphere.  Yeah, that's a good idea and exactly the kind of emotional argument and hyperbole I was talking about.  You're the first strawman drama queen I think I've ever seen on the 'net.   You've sure changed your tune in just a matter of a few days.

And as much as I despise the lottery forcing fame on lucky winners, that's still a much better problem to have than being broke. I'll do what the Morrison's did, hire a security detail for a while once my name goes public, then I'll go to another state until the furor dies down. They went to Hawaii for two weeks. Being forced to go to Hawaii, oh yeah, I like rich people problems.

Portland, OR
    United States
    Member #145973
    August 20, 2013
    226 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2015, 11:27 am - IP Logged

There are things you can't change.  That's the cards you are dealt with in your state.  I'd do the following in this order:

1.  Change my name (easy to do.  Note that in some states a notice is required to be posted in the newspaper before or after the name change)

2.  Gain or lose weight (optional)

3.  Hire a makeup artist to do some sick makeover on me.  Wig, eyebrows (yes I'm a dude), every freaking thing on my head. Grow a moustache.

4.  Get a new driver's license with the new picture.

5.  Repeat the makeover right before the JP deadline.

6.  Claim the JP right before the deadline.

7.  Recoup my original name if possible a few months later and update records at the lottery and dmv.

8.  Proceed to live happily ever after...

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #104962
      January 23, 2011
      1075 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2015, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Don't put words in my mouth and I'm particularly offended by your dishonest misrepresentation of what I wrote.  You don't care about fraud, just as long as you want to protect against something that hasn't happened in over half a century and not even in this hemisphere.  Yeah, that's a good idea and exactly the kind of emotional argument and hyperbole I was talking about.  You're the first strawman drama queen I think I've ever seen on the 'net.   You've sure changed your tune in just a matter of a few days.

And as much as I despise the lottery forcing fame on lucky winners, that's still a much better problem to have than being broke. I'll do what the Morrison's did, hire a security detail for a while once my name goes public, then I'll go to another state until the furor dies down. They went to Hawaii for two weeks. Being forced to go to Hawaii, oh yeah, I like rich people problems.

It is real easy to say this this and this won't happen...But if it were you,  would you want to go by what you say,  or collect anonymously?  I know what one I would pick,  and it wouldn't be the one where I hope nothing happens to me, or my family members..I would collect anonymously.

Trump 2016!

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2015, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

So your entire argument is "let's wait for an actual kidnapped child or murdered winner to occur before we give up the right to know who lottery winners are."

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and fully disagree with that premise.

We have a society built on preemptive measures in every single aspect of our lives (airbags, seatbelts, temp controls on water heaters, baby proofing, storm cellars, flood insurance) you name it and there's been a way devised to combat a risk.

Yet here you have a situation ripe with risk (recommended kidnap insurance and hiding like a terrorist are now par for the course when the publicity machine starts to roll), but hey, they're only lottery winners, who cares about their well-being, as long as our curiosity is met. After all, all the other lotteries in the world that allow anonymity are so lacking in integrity and transparency that no one ever plays those games and it ruined it for everyone, Right?

"We have a society built on preemptive measures ... to combat a risk."

You're ability to actually understand this is tenuous at best. The examples you've listed here are all about things with a long history of actually injuring and killing people, or causing enormous amounts of property damage. Your arguments about the danger to winners by releasing their names are based almost entirely on imagination and paranoia.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2015, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

According to the National Endowment for Financial Education in America, 70% of Americans who experience a sudden financial windfall lose the money within a few years.

Most lottery winners keep their windfall secret (this is especially the case in Australia), but plenty of those who do tell their story are living tragic lives a few years after their win, often facing bankruptcy, broken marriages, endless lawsuits and, in some instances, substance addition and mental illness.

What was their definition of a financial windfall?

There is quite a bit of difference if we're talking people who won a couple thousand and ended up spending it on a new car and paying off debts, or a couple million and threw it away on failed investments, drugs, gambling, and other items that hold value poorly.

If I won $30,000 I would likely have spent most of it five years down the line on different [useful] things, but give me $3,000,000 and I'd still have some of that money to pay for my funeral when I'm dying of old age.

Bondi Junction
            Australia
            Member #57242
            December 24, 2007
            1102 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2015, 8:57 am - IP Logged

There are things you can't change.  That's the cards you are dealt with in your state.  I'd do the following in this order:

1.  Change my name (easy to do.  Note that in some states a notice is required to be posted in the newspaper before or after the name change)

2.  Gain or lose weight (optional)

3.  Hire a makeup artist to do some sick makeover on me.  Wig, eyebrows (yes I'm a dude), every freaking thing on my head. Grow a moustache.

4.  Get a new driver's license with the new picture.

5.  Repeat the makeover right before the JP deadline.

6.  Claim the JP right before the deadline.

7.  Recoup my original name if possible a few months later and update records at the lottery and dmv.

8.  Proceed to live happily ever after...

It would be easier to play the UK National Lottery. Plus all prizes in the UK National Lottery are tax free!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

NH
              United States
              Member #83352
              December 5, 2009
              223 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2015, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Pretty sure you can wear a disguise when you have your picture taken in any State.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2659 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2015, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Pretty sure you can wear a disguise when you have your picture taken in any State.

Skeptical  well if that is true I think, I'm going with a Fawkes mask or maybe something else

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2015, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

From the Delaware lottery website:

Winners get to hold a 'smiley face on a stick' in front of their face when a picture is taken.

Yo, CT

I went to Florida last week and on the way stopped in Delaware and bought advanced draw PB.

Since there was no winner in Delaware you know I did'nt win, but still have more draws left.

Had.nt bought PB in quite awhile, but since it was in record territory and I was in anonymous territory I figure why not ?

Also bought MM and something called Hot Lotto while I was there.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                    Augusta, Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #127854
                    May 10, 2012
                    81 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2015, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I live in Georgia near the South Carolina/Georgia state line.  The main reason I go to SC to play mega and PB is because of the anonymous option!

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      699 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2015, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

In Louisiana, having a photo taken is not required. However, the names of winners are part of public record. They put this information in their weekly Big Deal webcast program back in October.  Here it is:

https://youtu.be/LwhXKxMo8EE?t=1m9s

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #129225
                        June 13, 2012
                        546 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2015, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Or you could not worry about it and walk around with the ticket the next day showing it to TV reporters. All the paranoia everyone seems to exhibit such as getting a security team together and moving from your home.  And this young girl just waltz's around with the ticket having the time of her life.  Maybe we all worry about it too much!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2015, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

haymaker,

Hope you win it and hey if you do, we've already got your 'picture'.
                          Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                            Member #143211
                            May 27, 2013
                            1979 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2015, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Happy to see the woman from Nc win, but the personally she was crazy showing her winning ticket on Tv , I bet now her babies daddy will be around more and maybe get child support from her now. Even nut and family members will love her to death. I just think she make herself and the children targets now. I wish her luck , let's hope all goes well with her.

NYC
                              United States
                              Member #161115
                              November 17, 2014
                              126 Posts
                              Posted: February 18, 2015, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Or maybe hold the check up in front of your face when it's picture time, then make a quick dash for the door if you have to retake the photo.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ggq7zh9KzyA/hqdefault.jpg