Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think that "God" or some other Higher Power has anything to do with. .

Topic closed. 148 replies. Last post 1 year ago by gogidolim.

Page 1 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2015, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

.....Folks winning the lottery? If you are an Atheist, what be your thoughts on the matter- pure luck, coincidence or what?

* Please NO insults- Thanks in advance. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    607 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2015, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Nope, I don't believe that god or whichever higher power allots wins.

Luck of the draw and statistics.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1515 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I find it interesting that Mankind places human characteristics upon GOD.  Man plans God laughs. Since I was born and raised here in America then I have Christian beliefs. I kind of soaked them into me.

The closest that I have come to understand God is when I learn about String Theory.  String Theory is chaos underneath order.  This is trying to understand the Universe.  Good Luck with all that !

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2015, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

As an atheist I can say: It's nothing but pure luck. No karma is controlling who will win.

If there really was a god or karma involved in controlling who would win, would it let criminals and pedophiles win?

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
          TX
          United States
          Member #121193
          January 4, 2012
          1637 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2015, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

While I believe that the almighty deity has a hand in what numbers that come up or who wins, there has to be a smidge of luck. From someone who cuts ahead of you in line, to finding a misplaced ticket  or playing for the first time and winning the big prize.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            545 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2015, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

.....Folks winning the lottery? If you are an Atheist, what be your thoughts on the matter- pure luck, coincidence or what?

* Please NO insults- Thanks in advance. 

What is this "other" Higher Power that you speak of, that is not "God"?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2015, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

What is this "other" Higher Power that you speak of, that is not "God"?

l am covering all my bases by not simply speaking from a Christian POV. There are those who do not subscribe to the God of the bible. For instance Hindus consider their gods to be " higher powers". As l mentioned, no insults. I am not an idiot, l know what l am doing. For instance the Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Son of God. So your question is in many ways Moot.Play along or take your toys and go sit in the corner. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

malin1257's avatar - 8ball
                Antwerp
                Belgium
                Member #86174
                January 30, 2010
                37 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2015, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

As an atheist I can say: It's nothing but pure luck. No karma is controlling who will win.

If there really was a god or karma involved in controlling who would win, would it let criminals and pedophiles win?

MillionsWanted,

You asked a very good question!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2015, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

MillionsWanted asked a very tough question, who knows, fallen angels getting involved?

Sometimes I think, just to entertain Himself, God lets people who he knows won't be able to handle it win a big jackpot. Curse of the Lottery show type thing.

In sports betting people always wonder of God roots for one team or another. One reply is God doesn't care who wins a football game....unless it's Notre Dame versus SMU or BYU!

Lep

Joke:
                  A bunch of seminary students were arguing about which order to belong to. (All Catholic priests belong to an order).
                  The next morning when they walked in to the classroom, there was some writing on the blackboard:

All orders are equal.
                  God, SJ

(SJ is the Jesuits, Society of Jesus)

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                    Member #165244
                    March 30, 2015
                    227 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2015, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

No. God is against gambling.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4108 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2015, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

So when people who do win say that " Thank you God" what exactly are they saying? How about those winners who say they going to contribute mightily to their Church or place of Worship? Are they delusional in thinking that the Creator has something to do with their win?

A Yes or No answer would suffice Funtimz.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                        Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1276 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2015, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Well, I had to dig up the notes in a Notepad document I had saved from a discussion I had a couple of yrs. back with an online friend, but the Bible warns against loving money (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5) and it also warns about trying to get rich quick (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10).  I don't think the Bible specifically mentions "gambling" but there are some instances in the Bible where it specifically refers to "casting lots" to divide up land, to choose between the sacrificial goat and the scapegoat and also when Nehemiah cast lots to see who would live within the walls of Jerusalem.  The disciples cast lots to see who would replace Judas, as well.   

Proverbs 16:33 says, “The lot is cast in the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.” I know many Christians believe in predestination and if that's the case, then God has already determined whether you'll win or not....and if He allows you to win, then how can you say He is against gambling? (Of course, He allows many things to happen that are against His will -  that's one of the reasons my own beliefs have changed.  I now consider myself an "optimistic agnostic".)

Personally, I think gambling is like many other things we should do in moderation, no matter if you're religious or not.  To me, it's a "sin" for someone to spend money on...say, booze...when their children are going without basic needs.  I've seen people struggle with their rent just because they were making a payment on a luxury automobile.  I've seen couples have trouble making ends meet because either the wife or the husband refused to give up things they insist they "need", be it the husband's weekly poker night with the boys or the wife's regular visit to the nail salon, or thinking their kids have to have $200 sneakers because the other kids have them too.   I think the lottery is one of those things that should be the last items in a budget;  if you can afford to play and it doesn't deprive your family, then have at it.

You can't always get what you want
                        But if you try sometime you just might find
                        You get what you need

- The Rolling Stones

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                          Dallas, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #4549
                          May 2, 2004
                          1691 Posts
                          Posted: August 10, 2015, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

l am covering all my bases by not simply speaking from a Christian POV. There are those who do not subscribe to the God of the bible. For instance Hindus consider their gods to be " higher powers". As l mentioned, no insults. I am not an idiot, l know what l am doing. For instance the Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Son of God. So your question is in many ways Moot.Play along or take your toys and go sit in the corner. 

I doubt you know what you are doing disparaging other religions while questioning others' thoughts and beliefs in favor of your own. You seem to have no problem posting your beliefs while discouraging others from posting theirs.

The core of Chrisitanity is rooted in the Jewish religion, but totally opposed to the principle. It's not that the Jews don't believe in Jesus. They accept Jesus as prophet, the same as Muslims do. The Jewish messiah, a word the Christians use for savior simply means anointed one, not savior, demi-god. The notion of an innocent, divine, half person/god who sacrifices himself to save the rest of humanity is totally a Christian idea. For these reasons the Jews have come to refer to their messiah as the mashiach, the true anointed one.

In truth Jesus was never divine until Paul entered and created the picture we see today. And who vouches for what Paul says? Only Paul. How strange. All the prophets testify of a god, but only Paul testifies of Paul.

I thank you to speak on religions you know about.

As to your question,  gods do not mettle in the affairs of man. One may find favor but just because 50,001 persons are praying for one team and 57,468 are praying for the other does nothing to bring a god into play. It would be a petty god to create all this, and give free will, only to micromanage every detail such as whether we get rain in my town and how much falls. Not to mention free will is worthless if he who gave it continued to block its use.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: August 10, 2015, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

garyo1954,

Nowhere does Christian doctrine say half person / god.

It's fully human and fully God.

The muslim 'Jesus' isn't Jesus either. They say it was a substitute that was crucified and Jesus is going to come back and say he had it all wrong, and he's now a muslim and is going to kill all the Jews and Christians.

Maybe you should speak of religions you know about, if any.

You also might want to consider Messianic Jews.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                              Dallas, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #4549
                              May 2, 2004
                              1691 Posts
                              Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:03 am - IP Logged

garyo1954,

Nowhere does Christian doctrine say half person / god.

It's fully human and fully God.

The muslim 'Jesus' isn't Jesus either. They say it was a substitute that was crucified and Jesus is going to come back and say he had it all wrong, and he's now a muslim and is going to kill all the Jews and Christians.

Maybe you should speak of religions you know about, if any.

You also might want to consider Messianic Jews.

Whoa there Hoss! I'm not the one making statements that start with "they say...." so do a little research before engaging your mouth.

Start by explaining fully human/fully god.

Never said the Christian doctrine said that, but being born of a human and fathered by a god, what would you call that? Same as the Greeks demi-gods, no? 

Paul built that part into it. So argue with Paul. The same as Paul argued with the Jews at the temple, and argued with Peter, and well, who didn't Paul argue? You two should enjoy each others company.

What do you know about Messianic Jews? Nothing...or less than you know about Christianity, Judism, how people play the lottery, which is proved time and time again in another thread.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Page 1 of 10