Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think that "God" or some other Higher Power has anything to do with. .

Topic closed. 148 replies. Last post 1 year ago by gogidolim.

Page 3 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
554 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2015, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I am a Christian and i think that God has nothing to do with this...HE gave us FREE WILL...we do whatever we want ! and no, gambling is not a sin, if it is, therefore we are doomed, cause every minute we sin in our doings, sayings or thinking !

Besides, we are all gods !

No man is a god, but all men are parcels of "GOD"

We are all children of "GOD"

If only man (and woman) could remember that every waking second.

Then we might have heaven on earth. (not to mention winning a lot more JP!)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10390 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2015, 11:12 am - IP Logged

garyo1954,

"Start by explaining fully human/fully god.

Never said the Christian doctrine said that, but being born of a human and fathered by a god, what would you call that? Same as the Greeks demi-gods, no?"

If it has to be explained you don't get it. Ask a priest or a pastor.

As for the same as a Greek demi-god not even close.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #89330
      April 5, 2010
      485 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2015, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I believe -- because several times when I r-e-a-l-l-y needed some extra cash, I have won.  And I always give thanks immediately.  One time about 2 yrs ago, I bought a $20 ticket at grocery store, the lady said, you should have been here 20 minutes earlier,  the last ticket before yours won $10,000.  While my heart sank "just a tad", I immediately thought of the times I "needed" extra money and won something special, whether it was $100 or $500.  So I said that lady needed a blessing more than I today.  God bless her!

Dk

cbr$'s avatar - maren
        Cordova,Al.
        United States
        Member #104482
        January 15, 2011
        5399 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2015, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I believe, God has everything to do with it. I invite him in to all part of my life. Including when I play the lottery, I asks for him to guide me. I tithe from whatever I won. I give thanks for even before I receive it, Then thanks again when I receive. Then when I use the money, I say a prayer for the people who are about to receive it , for everybody that come in contact with the money, that they maybe blessed also.

Lincoln, California
          United States
          Member #167130
          June 27, 2015
          256 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

God (insert yours here) does not care at all who wins any Game.  That should have ended this conversation instead of drifting into a discussions about the basis or merits of the religions thrown into this mix (mess).   

From the "God Created everything" point of view, Random was his creation.  To control Random would be a contradiction.  I think God may the only true Random Source in the Universe.  It explains why both favor and hardship are faced by all beliefs.  Most discussions about favor or hardship begin with WHY and evolve into a Religious debate.  Beliefs are the Systems used to cope with the event(s).  It looks to me like God lets Random be itself and is there for Believers after the fact. 

WOW, I just got sucked into the mix(mess).

new jersey
            United States
            Member #150815
            December 31, 2013
            513 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

he  who  seeks lottery  winnings and  pray  for  materialistic  things   weep

new jersey
              United States
              Member #150815
              December 31, 2013
              513 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2015, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

spirit  is  within  u,  your  the  god  and control  your  destiny only  u  no  thing  or  no  one  else,

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4145 Posts
                Posted: August 11, 2015, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

if any gods are involved with me, its the mischeivious  greek style, you know the ones that will hacve my winning numbers, the day i dont play em. or 1 number off of ea. winning number. or a  gust of wind  snatches the winning ticket from my hand outside the lotto office, and i run under a bus chasing it. that sort of god

You probably thinking of Loki huh SG?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4145 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2015, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

I think that it has to do with one's internal and external forces. One's belief and one's timing is the main driver of whether you hit or not. People who believe in God hit the jackpot and so do Atheists, rapist, murderers, child abusers, homeless people, cheaters, etc. I think most of the time it has to do with being at the right time and the right place.

Being at the right place & time is a fair assessment. You mentioned " One's belief & one's timing" which raises another question: Let's say you prayed fervently last night to win tonight, after the balls settle down,  you find out that you are the Sole winner of the MM jackpot, did your god answer your prayers Jack?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4145 Posts
                    Posted: August 11, 2015, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Fair enough.

However if you want to consider the Hindu Pantheon, I think you will stir up a lot of controversy considering that some Hindus may pray to Krishna, for a lottery win,

while other pray to Vishnu, for a lottery, win, others might pray to Ganesh for a lottery win. 

So which Hindu god has the "higher power"?

Me personally?  Of course I think God has something to do with it.  I cant judge others, muderers, pedophiles etc. right to win.  All I can do is pray that they use the 

money and power wisely, for good and not evil.

When it comes to God, I dont think you can "think" there is a higher power.  You have to "know" there is a higher power.  God helps those who pray knowingly, more 

so then those who pray thinkingly.

Yes you are right.  I suppose my question could be considered moot.  I will take my tin kitty toys and go sit in the corner. 

Is there a "Higher Power" with me in that corner?

Personally,  l don't think it's such a big deal with Hindus,  if you claim one answered your prayers,  you claiming all the others as well . It's a very" related" religion since they have millions of gods.

MrLeRoy's avatar - nw rogue.jpg

Canada
                      Member #152924
                      March 1, 2014
                      129 Posts
                      Posted: August 11, 2015, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone ever heard of the subconscious mind ? you'd be surprised the things that you can do when you get in touch with it. It doesn't care if you are black,white, poor, rich, good or bad, you simply need to know how to use it. Again, we are little gods, but our little minds refuse to accept it ! i have a good knowledge of hypnosis and dreams and won many times using this and it works, a couple of days ago i won with 5679 in Ontario, this is after  i did my morning meditation. God gave us this great tool but no one wants to learn how to use it properly, or they don't believe. BTW, did you know that you can program dreams, and get answers to them fast ? google this subject, it works...i know a thing or two in this, believe me !

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4145 Posts
                        Posted: August 12, 2015, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Has anyone ever heard of the subconscious mind ? you'd be surprised the things that you can do when you get in touch with it. It doesn't care if you are black,white, poor, rich, good or bad, you simply need to know how to use it. Again, we are little gods, but our little minds refuse to accept it ! i have a good knowledge of hypnosis and dreams and won many times using this and it works, a couple of days ago i won with 5679 in Ontario, this is after  i did my morning meditation. God gave us this great tool but no one wants to learn how to use it properly, or they don't believe. BTW, did you know that you can program dreams, and get answers to them fast ? google this subject, it works...i know a thing or two in this, believe me !

Your hypnosis and dreams would pale in comparison to.....

Image result for sauron palantir

Inland Empire
                          United States
                          Member #118116
                          October 22, 2011
                          322 Posts
                          Posted: August 12, 2015, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Ha! Atheists come out of the woodwork after Ridge is gone!

Oh well...

Can I come out too? XD

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                            Dallas, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #4549
                            May 2, 2004
                            1834 Posts
                            Posted: August 12, 2015, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Feel free to continue. I've have the unfortunate problem of never seeing that in the Bible. So if you have the book, chapter and verse, I'd appreciate it.

Spent a lot of time with pastors, a few priests. Used to go sit with a Southern Baptist minister, on his porch, and talk about God and life and the bible for hours. Even at 85 he couldn't explain half the inconsistencies in had found in his lifetime. Maybe you have. Or maybe you only know what you were told by the they.

But as the OP admitted this belongs in a Christian forum since no everybody here is Christian and accepts the idea of his god.

I don't put restrictions on my god. He blesses good people of every culture, creed, race, religion, or what have you.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: August 12, 2015, 3:15 am - IP Logged

As an atheist I can say: It's nothing but pure luck. No karma is controlling who will win.

If there really was a god or karma involved in controlling who would win, would it let criminals and pedophiles win?

"would it let criminals and pedophiles win?"

Perhaps you've heard the expression that "god works in mysterious ways"? If you pay attention to many of the things attributed to various gods by their believers it should be obvious that many gods are apparently psychopaths. Letting pedophiles win the lottery is the least of the mysteries.

Page 3 of 10