Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think that "God" or some other Higher Power has anything to do with. .

Topic closed. 148 replies. Last post 1 year ago by gogidolim.

Page 5 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: August 15, 2015, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I was raised Baptist/Methodist (Baptist church 1st and 3rd Sundays--Methodist church 2nd and 4th Sundays)I think God wants me to have good things--including money. The lottery is a legal way of doing that.  Play within your means until you get lucky.

I don't think God manipulates ping pong balls so one person or another will win.

You make a good argument. It's possible for a lottery winner to stop attending church after winning as well. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Ricklou's avatar - majestic lion.jpg

South Africa
    Member #129822
    June 28, 2012
    363 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2015, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I was raised Baptist/Methodist (Baptist church 1st and 3rd Sundays--Methodist church 2nd and 4th Sundays)I think God wants me to have good things--including money. The lottery is a legal way of doing that.  Play within your means until you get lucky.

I don't think God manipulates ping pong balls so one person or another will win.

This is really a tough question .........even if you go search in the bible. If u ask me my opinion I do believe a higher hand is responsible. If God can stop the trajectory of an missile in the sky -why cant he change ping pong balls?.The bible also go in depths about a cursed person.Will that cursed person ever have luck? This was a very good question Noise-gate well done Sir.  Not forcing religion down anyone's throat but I have never heard of an atheist winning a lottery ? Please inform me if I am wrong ? Like I said its such a difficult question to answer yet we al try our luck

Big Smile

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2015, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

This is really a tough question .........even if you go search in the bible. If u ask me my opinion I do believe a higher hand is responsible. If God can stop the trajectory of an missile in the sky -why cant he change ping pong balls?.The bible also go in depths about a cursed person.Will that cursed person ever have luck? This was a very good question Noise-gate well done Sir.  Not forcing religion down anyone's throat but I have never heard of an atheist winning a lottery ? Please inform me if I am wrong ? Like I said its such a difficult question to answer yet we al try our luck

One could ask the question " Why would a deity answer some prayers and not others?" Could Mr Whittaker or David Lee Edwards have said a prayer before buying their ticket, cause I did read where Jack said he was going to present a check to his church, obviously believing to some extent that God had answered his prayer. As someone who had posted earlier stated " what of pedophiles winning the lottery,  what does that say about their deity? "

I am not familiar with God stopping a missile- when was this?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Ft. Washington, MD
        United States
        Member #159267
        September 20, 2014
        123 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2015, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Noise- gate, silver lion, pickone4me and a couple of others. I had meant to post this a couple days ago but my post got accidently deleted and i got frustrated. Look, noise gate was trying to be respectful here on this topic because it is a very explosive subject. Religion can start all kinds of back and forth hell raising. About whose god or beliefs are the right ones. So noise - gate being aware of this was trying to explain his being neutral, making it about the lottery that's it. Some people need to believe in the spiritual aspects of whatever faith they ascribe to , to justify or ask for the strength to do what they are doing. Most people are not that very aware or understanding what religion's true purpose really is. It's really about you your inner being and the outer world around you. Not trying to change you into my belief, but to understand how can my faith relate to yours. So we can coexist.WinkThumbs Up BTW i am a ZEN BUDDHIST 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

I remember reading a story about angels and in that story it mentioned that helping with lottery wins as something that angels wouldn't touch.
          The author said that praying to 'your' angel (i.e. Guardian angel) for such a thing was asking your angel to ask all the other angels getting such a request to cancel theirs out.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Ft. Washington, MD
            United States
            Member #159267
            September 20, 2014
            123 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2015, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Whoa, you are almost the closest thing to Joseph Campbell and Hutson Smith. They were religious scholars who practiced many different religions from all over the world. Not many people can do what you do.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
              Member #164603
              March 8, 2015
              613 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2015, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I remember reading a story about angels and in that story it mentioned that helping with lottery wins as something that angels wouldn't touch.
              The author said that praying to 'your' angel (i.e. Guardian angel) for such a thing was asking your angel to ask all the other angels getting such a request to cancel theirs out.

But then that would apply to any prayer, no?

Maybe they could take shifts.Thinking of...

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2015, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Maybe--- Get a load of this..

In the seventh century B.C.E. the tyrant of Corinth, Periander, one of the Seven Wise Men of ancient Greece, conceived a plan for constructing a canal at this narrow strip of land between the Peloponnese and continental Greece. If this increased the ship traffic, it would increase his revenue collected from tolls. Yet he abandoned his effort. Why?
                Out of fear of arousing the anger of the gods, because an oracle by the Pythia at Delphi said: “Do not furnish Isthmus with a tower, nor dig it through (make a canal through).” It is reported that this oracle had been prompted by the priests of the Corinthian temples. They feared that opening a canal for quick passage of ships would cause them to lose their rich donations and gifts because merchants would no longer have any reason to stay in Corinth.
                The possibility of a canal was revived in 307 B.C.E. by Demetrius the Besieger. But he, too, abandoned the idea when the Egyptian engineers whom he had brought to do the job assured him that there was a major problem. They said that there was a difference between the water level of the Corinthian Gulf and that of the Saronic Gulf. So they warned that upon cutting the piece of land through to make the canal, the waters of the Gulf of Corinth would pour into the Saronic Gulf, inundating the area and blotting out nearby islands.

Wiki.

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2015, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Image result for laughing

DoctorWhy's avatar - 04 05.jpg
                    Indianapolis, IN
                    United States
                    Member #151842
                    January 28, 2014
                    107 Posts
                    Posted: August 15, 2015, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I am a Christian and I believe in the Law of Attraction. Positive thoughts can help bring positive energy and maybe even a win or two.

Think amongst Chaos. Play in Order.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                      Member #118609
                      November 4, 2011
                      938 Posts
                      Posted: August 15, 2015, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

I am a Christian and I believe in the Law of Attraction. Positive thoughts can help bring positive energy and maybe even a win or two.

I Agree!  Also a Christian who believes in the Law of Attraction.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10353 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2015, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

MaximumMillions,

I don't think so. Prayers for healing for example are asking for healing for others or yourself, prayers for a jackpot win are shutting everyone else out of one.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Ricklou's avatar - majestic lion.jpg

South Africa
                          Member #129822
                          June 28, 2012
                          363 Posts
                          Posted: August 16, 2015, 5:40 am - IP Logged

One could ask the question " Why would a deity answer some prayers and not others?" Could Mr Whittaker or David Lee Edwards have said a prayer before buying their ticket, cause I did read where Jack said he was going to present a check to his church, obviously believing to some extent that God had answered his prayer. As someone who had posted earlier stated " what of pedophiles winning the lottery,  what does that say about their deity? "

I am not familiar with God stopping a missile- when was this?

Not all prayers will be answered -God has his own time and place and if its not the right time and HIS will your prayer will not be answered.I personally don't think an atheist or a pedophile will be winning the lottery? Not stepping on anyone's toes/religion.That's just my opinion -I might be wrong. Just a little snippet from a newspaper where a terrorist explained how they saw their missiles not hitting the targets with "Israel's God's intervention

We all have fate and if its God's will for our lives it will happen -if its not hiss WILL it wont happen. If God can change a missile's trajectory in the air -why cant he change ping pong balls if it is HIS WILL ?

Big Smile

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                            Member #65961
                            October 11, 2008
                            162 Posts
                            Posted: August 16, 2015, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Not all prayers will be answered -God has his own time and place and if its not the right time and HIS will your prayer will not be answered.I personally don't think an atheist or a pedophile will be winning the lottery? Not stepping on anyone's toes/religion.That's just my opinion -I might be wrong. Just a little snippet from a newspaper where a terrorist explained how they saw their missiles not hitting the targets with "Israel's God's intervention

We all have fate and if its God's will for our lives it will happen -if its not hiss WILL it wont happen. If God can change a missile's trajectory in the air -why cant he change ping pong balls if it is HIS WILL ?

AGREE!

(Btw...I too kept this news story; it was and still is awesome!!!)

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                              Member #65961
                              October 11, 2008
                              162 Posts
                              Posted: August 16, 2015, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I believe, God has everything to do with it. I invite him in to all part of my life. Including when I play the lottery, I asks for him to guide me. I tithe from whatever I won. I give thanks for even before I receive it, Then thanks again when I receive. Then when I use the money, I say a prayer for the people who are about to receive it , for everybody that come in contact with the money, that they maybe blessed also.

Love your post as I do the same thing!!!

Thanks for sharing and God bless you!

Page 5 of 10