Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think that "God" or some other Higher Power has anything to do with. .

Topic closed. 148 replies. Last post 1 year ago by gogidolim.

Page 6 of 10
PrintE-mailLink
raeford,nc
United States
Member #147664
October 9, 2013
2 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2015, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Sorry to tell you but pedophiles do win the lottery  ex: Timothy Poole from Florida. As for an atheist I haven't heard of one winning, but then again not all lottery winners go into detail about their beliefs. 'for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust'  Matthew 5:45. We might not agree with that, but that is what it says. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes either, but I think some on here took this topic as an attack on their beliefs. I, for one, think noisegate did a good job of trying to keep it from going there wiith his original post.

Kola's avatar - image
    Blundering Time Traveler

United States
    Member #28945
    December 25, 2005
    1527 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2015, 11:45 am - IP Logged

I think the higher power (which I personally call God), invented randomness to do the work of deciding who wins and who loses.  Note that randomness is completely non-judgemental -- you don't win because you are a good person and you "deserve" it, you win because you were in the right place at the right time.  There is no list of deserving people for which a future lottery win has been reserved.

BTW, I don't usually participate in religious arguments, but I have learned some interesting things from this thread.  Thanks!

Aaahhh, so refreshing to read. As usual, very well said Tia!

I've always thought of the higher power as simply Source or Creator of All and that the first most random act ever done that had 0% of being predicted in the history of consciousness, was first initiated by Source when it's Mind give rise to all that we see(and don't see). I see all other events of "randomness" as unique and yet still as inter-dependent chain-reaction derivatives of that initial most random first act. 

I also agree that Source doesn't have favorites and there is no person that wins because of being the "most good or most deserving".  I do believe though that as Fractals of Source or small creators ourselves, we have some measure of influence over random by physically, emotionally, mentally, and/or spiritually using the sum total of our individual lives and all that we've learned up to this moment in ways that can cause cause subtle to not so subtle shifts beyond random.; Just like we do on the LP in different types of forums to varying degrees of success. Being that we live on earth within a context of yin-yang or active vs. passive dualities(or trinities if you consider "neutral"), for example, hot vs. cold, male vs. female, good vs. bad and etcetera, Random also has its opposite. It's opposite, Order, has its own rules too, and  when studied, can possibly give a person a high and consistent winning percentage. Anyway... Thanks again Tia!

And thanks to noise-gate too for a stimulating thread!

Legend says that The Craggy One was once asked about the Lottery Circle and the aged Lottery LoreKeeper whispered in his gravelly eloquence,"It is known among our kind that 2 successive draws are in reality the 2 center-points of 2 intersecting circles that share a common radius - a Root Center. This Vesica Piscis is the creative womb for all numbers, the Still Point from which two draws will unite & a new one is born. This "perfect" space is a wormhole through Time(Change). Master its proportions & your numerical predictions will not falter". 

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1511 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2015, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

There are two sides fighting in a war. The caption below the picture reads," We are fighting to show how much we love our God".

US Flag

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4105 Posts
        Posted: August 17, 2015, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for your kind words Kola. It's really quite simple : I am all for stimulation Big Smile....

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2015, 2:33 am - IP Logged

.....Folks winning the lottery? If you are an Atheist, what be your thoughts on the matter- pure luck, coincidence or what?

* Please NO insults- Thanks in advance. 

yes - and no. 

am i a "name it and claim it" Christian?  No.  Do I believe in ni&ci theology?  No. 

Do I think that God has higher plans and thoughts than whether or not my #'s will win this drawing?  Yes. 

Do I think that God can arrange it so that someone could win?  Yes.

Has God arranged me to win?  Not yet. 

Can I attribute a win for me to be God OR luck?  Yes.

Why am I continuing to type questions and answering them?  No clue.

Ricklou's avatar - majestic lion.jpg

South Africa
            Member #129822
            June 28, 2012
            361 Posts
            Posted: August 19, 2015, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Sorry to tell you but pedophiles do win the lottery  ex: Timothy Poole from Florida. As for an atheist I haven't heard of one winning, but then again not all lottery winners go into detail about their beliefs. 'for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust'  Matthew 5:45. We might not agree with that, but that is what it says. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes either, but I think some on here took this topic as an attack on their beliefs. I, for one, think noisegate did a good job of trying to keep it from going there wiith his original post.

Wow........well now I am speechless. Make u wonder -Is it perhaps the devil who help people win OR is it God's will for his life ?

Big Smile

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1182 Posts
              Posted: August 19, 2015, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, NG, Sometimes when I see a homeless person or a single mother, or a laid off father win, I think, He gave them a break. But then when I see a drug addict or pedophile win, I do have questions. 

As for the whole Christian free will and therefore randomness argument, I think many have it wrong. Like a butterfly flapping its wing, a single decision may lead one on a path they had no intention of ever traveling. If anyone has ever had a row of bad things happen, that you'd tried to pray away, that you tried to get away from, but couldn't; but then, at the end of the line, all those awful things led you to a better life, financially, spiritually, emotionally, then you'd understand.

I've seen enough to think that we may have free will but that nothing is random. We pray for guidance and that's exactly what we're given, a guiding hand to go with that free will. 

I've heard Warren Buffett say many times that had he been accepted to the school that he wanted to go to, he would never have met the man who would forever change his life, the man who taught him what he needed to know to become who he is today. Oprah Winfrey has a similar story. So yes, there's free will, but there's also assistance. 

As an (admittedly struggling) Christian, I don't have a good way to explain why a pedophile should be given such a financial reward while the faithful woman with cancer is not. 

In my feeble way I can only think that the bible does say, all things work together for good for those that love Him. If I'm to believe that, then the pedophile or druggist or wife beater who won, won for a reason and for a purpose, not visible to us at the time, but which may have benefited someone we will never hear of but who was blessed because of it. That we are not made privy to the bigger picture doesn't make it any less miraculous. 

Right or wrong, that's my take.

btw, great question

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5591 Posts
                Posted: August 19, 2015, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, NG, Sometimes when I see a homeless person or a single mother, or a laid off father win, I think, He gave them a break. But then when I see a drug addict or pedophile win, I do have questions. 

As for the whole Christian free will and therefore randomness argument, I think many have it wrong. Like a butterfly flapping its wing, a single decision may lead one on a path they had no intention of ever traveling. If anyone has ever had a row of bad things happen, that you'd tried to pray away, that you tried to get away from, but couldn't; but then, at the end of the line, all those awful things led you to a better life, financially, spiritually, emotionally, then you'd understand.

I've seen enough to think that we may have free will but that nothing is random. We pray for guidance and that's exactly what we're given, a guiding hand to go with that free will. 

I've heard Warren Buffett say many times that had he been accepted to the school that he wanted to go to, he would never have met the man who would forever change his life, the man who taught him what he needed to know to become who he is today. Oprah Winfrey has a similar story. So yes, there's free will, but there's also assistance. 

As an (admittedly struggling) Christian, I don't have a good way to explain why a pedophile should be given such a financial reward while the faithful woman with cancer is not. 

In my feeble way I can only think that the bible does say, all things work together for good for those that love Him. If I'm to believe that, then the pedophile or druggist or wife beater who won, won for a reason and for a purpose, not visible to us at the time, but which may have benefited someone we will never hear of but who was blessed because of it. That we are not made privy to the bigger picture doesn't make it any less miraculous. 

btw, great question

I think you said that very well.

Thanks.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Ft. Washington, MD
                  United States
                  Member #159267
                  September 20, 2014
                  123 Posts
                  Posted: August 19, 2015, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Noise-gate has my original post on this thread been too heavy? I understood where you were coming from and was trying to get people to tone it down. I see there are some folks who are not good readers, so i was just trying to reinterpret in a way they could understand.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                    Happy California
                    United States
                    Member #157856
                    August 2, 2014
                    1511 Posts
                    Posted: August 19, 2015, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Patriot  What do you think about all those universes that came before ours ?  Infinity anyone ?  Cheers

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Taurus$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Ft. Washington, MD
                      United States
                      Member #159267
                      September 20, 2014
                      123 Posts
                      Posted: August 19, 2015, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Patriot  What do you think about all those universes that came before ours ?  Infinity anyone ?  Cheers

Whoa music when you say universes, are you implying about the other galaxies beyond our own milky way or you are talking about the world before our time?

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #104962
                        January 23, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2015, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Noise- gate, silver lion, pickone4me and a couple of others. I had meant to post this a couple days ago but my post got accidently deleted and i got frustrated. Look, noise gate was trying to be respectful here on this topic because it is a very explosive subject. Religion can start all kinds of back and forth hell raising. About whose god or beliefs are the right ones. So noise - gate being aware of this was trying to explain his being neutral, making it about the lottery that's it. Some people need to believe in the spiritual aspects of whatever faith they ascribe to , to justify or ask for the strength to do what they are doing. Most people are not that very aware or understanding what religion's true purpose really is. It's really about you your inner being and the outer world around you. Not trying to change you into my belief, but to understand how can my faith relate to yours. So we can coexist.WinkThumbs Up BTW i am a ZEN BUDDHIST 

I already stated what I thought of noise gates response,  the fact he typed it and posted it,  violated his asking of "no insults" 

The fact that noise gate makes up these topics and then gets a post that he doesn't agree with, that person is an instant idiot, or some other derogative term.

Trump 2016!

Kola's avatar - image
                          Blundering Time Traveler

United States
                          Member #28945
                          December 25, 2005
                          1527 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2015, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

btw, great question

That was such a sweetly elegant post Teddi!

You mentioned assistance. The reason I believe The Creator doesn't grant special favors is, because I see that every thing that exists is already made special and imbued with high favor. It is an innate characteristic of nature and it's open to all and for all, unconditionally, whether you believe in a Creator of not. Assistance, reward, goodness or "guidance" as you call it, is the ground state of all being, and it is always On, never Off. I think it's up to us see it as such, or connect the dots to understand the helpful narratives nature constantly feeds us. I think that all of life is inter-dependent and inter-connected so there's always helpful information coming at us 24/7 through different mediums. It can show up through a book, TV ad, or a friend for example, but most of the time, we can be deeply asleep to this help for various reasons, and we only acknowledge or realize it when it's delivered in particularly interesting way, or when we experience a restrospective moment often linked to an emotional high or low, like in your Buffet example. Even then the thinking is that "this only happens sometimes" or at certain moments in a life. 

While we have conditioned ourselves over time to measure ourselves within the context of winners and losers, I don't think the Creator shares our value system, seeing a win as more favorable than a loss. Everyone's a "winner" in the deepest sense of the word. While the pedophile you mentioned must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, I can't forget that the person partakes of the same transformative Essence that's infuses every speck of organic and inorganic matter in the universe. If that's true and if it's true that when we look around us that nature trends towards evolution, then it's potentially possible that a better final chapter in the book of that pedophile's life has yet to written, even as he/she lives out the better chapter while serving a well deserved life in prison. If not, and the person dies in prison without reform, so be it. Better "luck" next time, on the next go round...and the next...and the next...

Legend says that The Craggy One was once asked about the Lottery Circle and the aged Lottery LoreKeeper whispered in his gravelly eloquence,"It is known among our kind that 2 successive draws are in reality the 2 center-points of 2 intersecting circles that share a common radius - a Root Center. This Vesica Piscis is the creative womb for all numbers, the Still Point from which two draws will unite & a new one is born. This "perfect" space is a wormhole through Time(Change). Master its proportions & your numerical predictions will not falter". 

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4105 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2015, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I already stated what I thought of noise gates response,  the fact he typed it and posted it,  violated his asking of "no insults" 

The fact that noise gate makes up these topics and then gets a post that he doesn't agree with, that person is an instant idiot, or some other derogative term.

You are so wrong Pickone. My " No Insults" was directed at "  No insulting other Religions". 

You attempting to correct me on a thread l started. I don't allow others to think for me, l am an adult- are you? Sorry if that came off as an insult,  l didn't mean it,  l swear. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Inland Empire
                              United States
                              Member #118116
                              October 22, 2011
                              316 Posts
                              Posted: August 21, 2015, 1:16 am - IP Logged

Considering that messed up people win lottery all the time...

Loki must be our Lord and God. Seriously...

Page 6 of 10